Poll: Did the NCAA adequately punish Penn State? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll: Did the NCAA adequately punish Penn State?

How do you think the NCAA did with its punitive measures against Penn State?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No. Punishment is used to act as a deterrent, so that this - or anything else like this - will never happen again.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but rarely does punishment work as a deterrent for anything but children. And often, that's a 50/50 proposition. Adults tend know the consequences and the potential punishments, and make their choice based on the risk/reward.

And this will likely happen again. Probably not on this scale to a program with this much prestige. But someone at some university, will cover up heinous acts again eventually. It's virtually inevitable.

SMU got the death penalty, it hasn't stopped programs from cheating, it just forced them to get better at it.

Reaction Score
I assume you have the stats to back this up.

Admittedly a bit of hyperbole in that sentence (which, of course is why you selectively edited it).

I guess that you assume that prisons across the country are full of innocent people for whom the deterrent of a punishment was not applicable.

Or would you like to comment on USC and whether or not they were deterred by SMU?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess that you assume that prisons across the country are full of innocent people for whom the deterrent of a punishment was not applicable.

WTF? There are so many variables in this sentence that it's mind boggling. You are guessing that he's making assumptiions about the states of mind of felons, who you also guess that he assumming that are innocent, and further guess that he assuming that those said assumed innocents constitute all or most of the prison popoulation, and that further guess that he assumes that "deterrent of a punishment was not applicable" to them (I can't even assume to guess what the heck the you were trying to say there).
Seriously, if you are struggling that hard to make a point... you don't have one. ;)

Reaction Score
I think only time will tell if these sanctions were correct or if more was needed. If PSU still recruits top level classes and not many players leave, then more was needed. PSU fans and alumni still believe they were wrongly treated by these sanctions so clearly they still don't get it. In the end, this is a big problem and the sanctions will only be effective if the football product is negatively effected and the fans finally understand why these sanctions are being put in place.

I think your point about PSU folks not getting it is exactly right...I never realized how insular and myopic they are. They live on their own happy valley planet

Reaction Score
I think your point about PSU folks not getting it is exactly right...I never realized how insular and myopic they are. They live on their own happy valley planet
I'm so happy my sister and her family are getting the heck out of PA... unfortunately they are going to Jersey instead so I don't know how much better that really is:(

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

Sadly reminiscent of Washington, DC. (politics "off").

Reaction Score
WTF? There are so many variables in this sentence that it's mind boggling. You are guessing that he's making assumptiions about the states of mind of felons, who you also guess that he assumming that are innocent, and further guess that he assuming that those said assumed innocents constitute all or most of the prison popoulation, and that further guess that he assumes that "deterrent of a punishment was not applicable" to them (I can't even assume to guess what the heck the you were trying to say there).
Seriously, if you are struggling that hard to make a point... you don't have one. ;)

He said that punishment is a deterrent. He basically said the punishment needs to be severe enough to prevent this from ever happening again. No punishment of anyone, has ever prevented anything from happening again. From rape and murder to mass genocide. Atrocities happen because sick, twisted evil people will commit them without fear or of punishment or repercussions.

If punishment was a deterrent, explain the multitude of rapes, murders, and molestations in this country. Are all the people in jail innocent, because the fear of punishment means they never committed the crime? Or are the vast majority guilty because the punishment they would receive wasn't sufficient enough to prevent the crime from being committed? Everyone knows rape, murder, etc, is illegal and will land you in jail. Yet they happen every day, because punishing one individual won't ever prevent another from ever committing the same crime.

It's not a difficult point if you catch the sarcasm in my original post. And in no way am I saying people shouldn't be punished. Just that it won't prevent anything from happening again.

Reaction Score
If most of the current players stay the answer is probably not enough. That would mean they really don't suffer enough losses to impact the program to a serious level. It means either they should have given a 1 year shutdown or decreased the number of schollies to around 10 for four years.

I disagree with the vacated wins but when they take the field vs Ohio in front of 100k+ of defiant fans it's going to make a lot of people sit up and say WTF!

Reaction Score
If most of the current players stay the answer is probably not enough. That would mean they really don't suffer enough losses to impact the program to a serious level. It means either they should have given a 1 year shutdown or decreased the number of schollies to around 10 for four years.

I disagree with the vacated wins but when they take the field vs Ohio in front of 100k+ of defiant fans it's going to make a lot of people sit up and say WTF!

Exactly right, when the "JoPa, JoPa, JoPa" chant starts, tell me that the punishment was enough to get through the thick skulls in Happy Valley.

Reaction Score
Looks like the sponsors are starting to drop out. State farm withdrew and gm is considering.

Reaction Score
Exactly right, when the "JoPa, JoPa, JoPa" chant starts, tell me that the punishment was enough to get through the thick skulls in Happy Valley.
I favored stronger punishment, but having said that, I don't think you measure these penalties based on the 2012 season, when there is really something of a transition going on. You'll really start seeing the impact in 2013 and even more so in future seasons as the reductions in recruits and reductions in scholarship players begin to mount. I don't care how good you are, no program can go mutiple seasons at the D1A level with only 65 scholarships. And while 105000 might be there for opening day in 2012, if Penn State goes through a series of dreary seasons, where there only wins are over FCS and MAC teams, there will be seating available come 2015, 16 and 17. In this day and age it is possible to schedule for success to some degree, but if they struggle against the likes of Kent State or Rutgers, over the next few seasons, it oculd get very ugly in Happy Valley.

Reaction Score
Looks like the sponsors are starting to drop out. State farm withdrew and gm is considering.

I saw that. I was wondering when corp. sponsors would start dropping.

Look at the sponsors that abandoned Tiger Woods, and Tiger's indiscretions involved consenting adults. Say what you want about adultery, but in the "bad things" pantheon, it's not even on the same planet as PSU.

Reaction Score

Agree 100% !!!!!

PSU should not be allowed to be on tv. The BIG needs to take a stand.

The pov that its not the current players or coaches or AD does not work for me. The Institution allowed what happened to happen and they deserve the Hammer of Thor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom