Poll: Did the NCAA adequately punish Penn State? | The Boneyard

Poll: Did the NCAA adequately punish Penn State?

How do you think the NCAA did with its punitive measures against Penn State?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just curious what Boneyarders think of the penalty. The results I've seen are mixed. Some believing it went too far, others thinking it went not far enough.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
While I have been a death penalty advocate for this situation, I think the NCAA got it more right than not. These penalties will have a lasting impact.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They showed some sensitivity to the players and community by allowing the games to be played, but punished the players too much. The rest looks like a money grab and a chance to show the NCAA pummeling a brand name, much like the UConn APR.

Ultimately, I think they overstepped their authority by the letter of their own by laws.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think only time will tell if these sanctions were correct or if more was needed. If PSU still recruits top level classes and not many players leave, then more was needed. PSU fans and alumni still believe they were wrongly treated by these sanctions so clearly they still don't get it. In the end, this is a big problem and the sanctions will only be effective if the football product is negatively effected and the fans finally understand why these sanctions are being put in place.

Reaction Score
I think only time will tell if these sanctions were correct or if more was needed. If PSU still recruits top level classes and not many players leave, then more was needed. PSU fans and alumni still believe they were wrongly treated by these sanctions so clearly they still don't get it. In the end, this is a big problem and the sanctions will only be effective if the football product is negatively effected and the fans finally understand why these sanctions are being put in place.
At some level, the NCAA can't tell recruits to stop coming to PSU if they want to. The program and the university are significantly tarnished. If recruits still want to come, that's their prerogative, and it's not the NCAA's job to interfere with telling kids where they can and can't play. Fan's understanding of why things happened ultimately has virtually no relevance to anything other than assuaging public outcry.

Reaction Score
They showed some sensitivity to the players and community by allowing the games to be played, but punished the players too much. The rest looks like a money grab and a chance to show the NCAA pummeling a brand name, much like the UConn APR.

Ultimately, I think they overstepped their authority by the letter of their own by laws.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Exactly. The NCAA, frankly, has no place here. They are simply piling on as the clueless organization that they are.

Reaction Score
So the idea here is to damage the PSU football program ? I thought the idea - as tenuous a connection as you can make - was to offer some kind of justice for the victims.

Good to know you are honest about the situation. Because an assistant coach molested kids a decade ago and the head coach now retired AND dead didn't do enough, in 2012, Penn State should somehow not be able to recuit top level classes.

That's Bull$hit IMO.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
So the idea here is to damage the PSU football program ? I thought the idea - as tenuous a connection as you can make - was to offer some kind of justice for the victims.

Good to know you are honest about the situation. Because an assistant coach molested kids a decade ago and the head coach now retired AND dead didn't do enough, in 2012, Penn State should somehow not be able to recuit top level classes.

That's Bull$hit IMO.
The idea was never to offer justice for the victims. Only the court system can do that. The idea was to take revenge on the institution, even though it was individuals that were to blame. Since the NCAA can't take revenge on the individuals, the institution was their only option, even though they didn't have jurisdiction to cover that. This is just a public relations powerplay by Emmert and the NCAA.

Reaction Score
The idea was never to offer justice for the victims. Only the court system can do that. The idea was to take revenge on the institution, even though it was individuals that were to blame. Since the NCAA can't take revenge on the individuals, the institution was their only option, even though they didn't have jurisdiction to cover that. This is just a public relations powerplay by Emmert and the NCAA.
Revenge is wholly the incorrect word to use and only serves to show how off-base some arguments that are being made on this board are.

Reaction Score
"Vacating" those wins going back to 1998 got them good. Total blow to their image and Paterno's story. Turned into an above average program with a past. One more championship than Rutgers. If I did the math right, their overall win percentage dropped from .658 to .540. Records say they have 11 straight losses in bowl games. All time bowl record is now 15-21-2.

Reaction Score
"Vacating" those wins going back to 1998 got them good. Total blow to their image and Paterno's story. Turned into an above average program with a past. One more championship than Rutgers. If I did the math right, their overall win percentage dropped from .658 to .540. Records say they have 11 straight losses in bowl games. All time bowl record is now 15-21-2.
That was strictly a potshot at Paterno, unless they force PSU to return bowl revenue from those years.

Reaction Score
"Rogue Programs" who put football over kids need to be punished to send a message to future "Rogue Programs". I think if something like this happened to, say, Tennessee in 1995. Paterno would have made sure he did the right thing regarding Sandusky and PSU, right from the beginning.

Reaction Score
That was strictly a potshot at Paterno, unless they force PSU to return bowl revenue from those years.
I am aware of that. It does involve the program that Paterno built, as well. His run is easily one of the best ever. Correction, all-time bowl record is 21-21-2.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The Assistant Football Coach at Penn State committed unspeakable acts against multiple children. The Head Football Coach enabled this behavior by ignoring each report of these monstrous acts. These acts were committed in Penn State Football facilities. The Football program was used as bait to lure new victims. And the cover up was, in part, to protect the football program. While "football" may be the least significant part of what happened, it is still part of it, still significant, and within the rights of the NCAA to step in. I've got NO love for the NCAA but they absolutely acted appropriately here. The more significant portions of this tragedy are being handled by the courts.

Reaction Score
We'll never know the true extent of the cover up. I don't believe it was just three or four individuals. What makes me wonder is the fact that the janitors were afraid to talk, and who knows who else was. The leadership climate was terrible, there was no chain of command, just a morally bankrupt, mostly self appointed football coach.

The whole program was a dumpster fire for years. It should have been killed. Today. But hopefully their sentence will have some kind of a lasting effect.

pj

Reaction Score
Not enough. The penalties should last as long as the coverup - 14 years. It would take that long, at least a few generations of students and administrators, to change the culture.

It would have been much better to just bar them from postseason play for 14 years, and skip the fine and scholarship reductions.

Reaction Score
The whole program was a dumpster fire for years. It should have been killed. Today. But hopefully their sentence will have some kind of a lasting effect.
No, it should not have been killed, that would've punished people who didn't have anything to do with it. That also promotes the theory that the football coach and administration are bigger than the program and the university as a whole. Punished, yes, killed, no.

Reaction Score
Not enough. The penalties should last as long as the coverup - 14 years. It would take that long, at least a few generations of students and administrators, to change the culture.

It would have been much better to just bar them from postseason play for 14 years, and skip the fine and scholarship reductions.
It doesn't work that way. How do you know it'll take 14 years to change the culture there? Suppose they completely cleaned house in the AD, the football program, and the university administration, which they sort of already did, it's definitely going to take them 14 years to change the culture of the program? That makes no sense.

Reaction Score
No, it should not have been killed, that would've punished people who didn't have anything to do with it. That also promotes the theory that the football coach and administration are bigger than the program and the university as a whole. Punished, yes, killed, no.

It's a moot point now. But it would have just been collateral damage. And the blood would have been on Paterno an Co.'s hands.

I appreciate you pov, but sometimes you have to go full draconian, life is just like that sometimes.

Reaction Score
The NCAA should have imposed the death penalty. This is the worst act by any football program in the history of college football, perhaps all college sports

Penn State ran a pedophile factory. It was run through the football program with the knowledge of the head coach, the athletic department, the administration and even the janitors.

This type of culture can never be tolerated again. Wiping it clean and starting over is the only way to ensure that outcome. The death penalty is the only way to wipe the program clean.

Once again, the NCAA gets it wrong. No surprise there

Reaction Score
This is worse than the death penalty. The NCAA did exactly what they intended to do, send the message loud and clear that this type of behavior won't be tolerated. And believe me I am sure there are hundreds of D-1 university presidents, ADs and coaches right now thanking their lucky stars that it was Penn St and not their school. Hopefully good will come out of all of this in the form of detection, prevention and support in the matter of child abuse. Unfortunately, a lot of former student athletes will have to carry this around with them for the rest of their lives even though it was the administration that screwed up, not them. Donations might not drop off dramatically at first but four years from now when they've suffered a couple losing seasons and the good recruits aren't coming anymore, when a decent amount of the students and alumni think to themselves" They are probably going to lose today anyways, think I'll find something else to d0"....... that's when the money will start to dry up. That's when the interest will start to evaporate and that's when the true effect of this punishment will start to take effect.

Reaction Score
It's a moot point now. But it would have just been collateral damage. And the blood would have been on Paterno an Co.'s hands.

I appreciate you pov, but sometimes you have to go full draconian, life is just like that sometimes.

What constitutes "collateral damage?" In this case (death penalty) it would not have been the faculty. The students would have been fine. The players? They would have had a choice between staying, on scholarship, or the minor inconvenience of transferring. The fans? Give me a break.

The real collateral damage would have been the wait staffs at the area's restaurants and dining rooms, the people who pump gas for the fans who make the drive to State College, the people that handle check-in/out and clean hotel/motel rooms, stadium ushers, people that work at concession stands and others we all tend to forget. A lot of these people need the money to make ends meet.

I think, for the first time in recorded history, the NCAA might have gotten it right.

Reaction Score
So the idea here is to damage the PSU football program ? I thought the idea - as tenuous a connection as you can make - was to offer some kind of justice for the victims .

No. Punishment is used to act as a deterrent, so that this - or anything else like this - will never happen again.

Reaction Score
No. Punishment is used to act as a deterrent, so that this - or anything else like this - will never happen again.
If you don't think this whole situation has been a deterrent to this ever happening again, I don't know what would. Between the media scrutiny, NCAA penalties, public shame, arrested administrators, soon to come settlements of civil lawsuits by the victims, etc., PSU as a university will be crippled by this. Those that say they'll be back up and chugging in six years are putting their head in the sand. You can bet universities around the country all have put in place measures to ensure no one else gets "Penn State-d".

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What constitutes "collateral damage?" In this case (death penalty) it would not have been the faculty. The students would have been fine. The players? They would have had a choice between staying, on scholarship, or the minor inconvenience of transferring. The fans? Give me a break.

The real collateral damage would have been the wait staffs at the area's restaurants and dining rooms, the people who pump gas for the fans who make the drive to State College, the people that handle check-in/out and clean hotel/motel rooms, stadium ushers, people that work at concession stands and others we all tend to forget. A lot of these people need the money to make ends meet.

I think, for the first time in recorded history, the NCAA might have gotten it right.

Absolutely correct here! Shutting down the football program would be like shutting down a large chunk of the town economy. Trust me, that town is where it is because of football. Cancelling it would be the wrong move and hopefully the actions taken will be enough to get the message across. Time will tell.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69