Please read, good people (with edits) | The Boneyard

Please read, good people (with edits)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm repinning this because apparently some people didn't get the message:

I continued to be impressed by the depth and breadth of knowledge of the people here. There have been some great topics and great contributions to the discussions, with participants able to disagree with civility, for the most part. Keep it up! :)

What I would request from folks is to please refrain from casting aspersions on young women, parents, and coaches, including those who aren't associated with UConn. Sometimes discussions can trend towards assuming former, current, and future UConn Huskies are smarter, from better families, and more willing to put their egos aside or work hard than players who've chosen to go elsewhere. There have been statements implied or stated directly that Huskies are somehow better people than players on other teams. Fifteen-twenty years ago, similar comments were made about the UConn players on, ahem, another board and I'd rather not use that board as a role model.

Also, pleeze don't make assumptions about a young woman's thought process (what she wants, what she thinks of others, whether she's going to transfer before she even signs her LOI, etc) or her character (size of her ego, "diva-ness", whether or not she needs to "get over herself", etc). Try to remember that players and recruits are looking at their choices through the eyes of 16-22 year old young women, not 60-something eyes. What a 60 year old may want or need has nothing to do with what a 16 year old girl wants or needs. We might disagree with her decision but that doesn't make her a bad person.

On edit: Since I posted this there have been several cringe-worthy posts denigrating players who had the temerity to go to another school and - gasp! - excel there. UConn fans are assuming attitudes and thoughts, based on no visible evidence, that are embarrassing to me to read. I hate to get all Admin on people but - I think I've been pretty clear here. If you want to revert to middle school and call teens and twenty-somethings childish names, then do it elsewhere. The majority of us here don't want to read that stuff.

I appreciate your listening and for making the Boneyard a great place to visit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I continued to be impressed by the depth and breadth of knowledge of the people here. There have been some great topics and great contribution to the discussions, with participants able to disagree with civility, for the most part. Keep it up! :)

What I would request from folks is to please refrain from casting aspersions on young women, parents, and coaches, including those who aren't associated with UConn. Sometimes discussions can trend towards assuming former, current, and future UConn Huskies are smarter, from better families, and more willing to put their egos aside or work hard than players who've chosen to go elsewhere. There have been statements implied or stated directly that Huskies are somehow better people than players on other teams. Fifteen-twenty years ago, similar comments were made on, ahem, another board and I'd rather not use them as a role model.

Also, pleeze don't make assumptions about a young woman's thought process (what she wants, what she thinks of others, whether she's going to transfer before she even signs her LOI, etc) or her character (size of her ego, "diva-ness", whether or not she needs to "get over herself", etc). Try to remember that players and recruits are looking at their choices through the eyes of 16-22 year old young women, not 60-something eyes. What a 60 year old may want or need has nothing to do with what a 16 year old girl wants or needs. We might disagree with her decision but that doesn't make her a bad person.

I appreciate your listening and for making the Boneyard a great place to visit.
\

The only thing left is ---good girl (woman/player). You just ruined all the fun!!
Seriously---I believe, and I think the press believes, and I believe Geno has inferred, that his women players work harder than most--if not all. I see nothing wrong to continue to use what Geno has given---they work hard.

Reaction Score
I recall about fifteen years ago an article in the Hartford Courant, I believe by Jeff Jacobs but I could be wrong, about Svet being on a plane headed to LA for some ceremony when she noticed Semeka Randall and one other LV whom I have forgotten also aboard the plane. With great trepidation Sveta approached them and to her amazement they were both very pleasant and friendly. She thoroughly enjoyed their company on the long flight and we all know how UConn fans felt about "Boo" Randall !! So sage words of advice Nan, you just never know !!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
\

The only thing left is ---good girl (woman/player). You just ruined all the fun!!
Seriously---I believe, and I think the press believes, and I believe Geno has inferred, that his women players work harder than most--if not all. I see nothing wrong to continue to use what Geno has given---they work hard.
I'm talking about the posts that claim because a recruit chooses to go to another school she doesn't want to work hard. Those posts are making assumptions about the girls that are, frankly, insulting.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I'm talking about the posts that claim because a recruit chooses to go to another school she doesn't want to work hard. Those posts are making assumptions about the girls that are, frankly, insulting.
I know of no young lady who joins a college or university and its basketball program,who doesn't want to improve their skills,bond with their team mates,win games,and complete their goals.
We all seem to forget,that everyone,is different from one another,and what I or anyone else would consider to be what is right for me or them,does not always come across as right to someone else.
We also seem to forget,that many coaches,assistant coaches,and personnel at any school works hard,puts the time in,and has a program that they feel is what is correct,even though others may disagree.
My hat is off to all these people,and to any girl brave enough to make a decision that she feels is right for her,and I respect her choice,whether she comes to my favorite team,or not.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I recall about fifteen years ago an article in the Hartford Courant, I believe by Jeff Jacobs but I could be wrong, about Svet being on a plane headed to LA for some ceremony when she noticed Semeka Randall and one other LV whom I have forgotten also aboard the plane. With great trepidation Sveta approached them and to her amazement they were both very pleasant and friendly. She thoroughly enjoyed their company on the long flight and we all know how UConn fans felt about "Boo" Randall !! So sage words of advice Nan, you just never know !!!
I always like Boo Randall. Wish she'd have been a Husky.

Reaction Score
I always like Boo Randall. Wish she'd have been a Husky.
If she had joined the Huskies she would have to choose another name--Boo is a Uconn fans given name for a Tn Vol---Booooo not Louuuuuu!
Randall gave Uconn a tough game. Nice to know you only DISLIKE the Tn Admin.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If she had joined the Huskies she would have to choose another name--Boo is a Uconn fans given name for a Tn Vol---Booooo not Louuuuuu!
Of course Tennessee launched into retaliatory booing at Taurasi. Diana's response: "Booing? I thought they were mooing."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know of no young lady who joins a college or university and its basketball program,who doesn't want to improve their skills,bond with their team mates,win games,and complete their goals.
We all seem to forget,that everyone,is different from one another,and what I or anyone else would consider to be what is right for me or them,does not always come across as right to someone else.
We also seem to forget,that many coaches,assistant coaches,and personnel at any school works hard,puts the time in,and has a program that they feel is what is correct,even though others may disagree.
My hat is off to all these people,and to any girl brave enough to make a decision that she feels is right for her,and I respect her choice,whether she comes to my favorite team,or not.

What Uconn fans have seen is success after success--and the failure of once great teams to compete with Uconn. What happens then is us fans are always asking: What is it that Uconn does or what kind of recruit does Geno seek or is it only the demands Geno makes and the recruits will accept?? So it is not us Damning kids who play for other teams or kids that leave the Uconn program--it is US seeking answers to a non-answerable question.
We really are NOT the bad guys--nor do we hate players from other teams--or recruits that choose to leave the Uconn program. Honestly, we do know they are only 17 to 23 year old young adults.
However, look at the pressures the press puts on them!!!

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that the distinction that Nan is drawing is between suggesting that certain kids don't want to go to UConn because they don't want to work as hard and suggesting that kids who do go to UConn once they are there then work harder in practice and in games, and that is a big part of why they win. The first claim is completely unprovable and disparages kids, while the second claim may have some validity and compliments Husky players.

That is, narrowly speaking, a question of fitness and intensity. A derivative question is about players who choose UConn because they are willing to have the style of their game recast. We often accuse those who choose other schools of being more individual, rather than team, players, and vice-versa for those who choose UConn.

Reaction Score
There are no bad people here; only bad posts. :)
I've always wondered how do you separate one from the other if they post many "bad" posts---second part exactly what constitute a "bad" post?? To me it is those with which I don't agree!
From the "He's not a bad person it's only the things he does that are bad".. Using that even Saddam or Adolph were good guys.

Reaction Score
I've always wondered how do you separate one from the other if they post many "bad" posts---second part exactly what constitute a "bad" post?? To me it is those with which I don't agree! From the "He's not a bad person it's only the things he does that are bad".. Using that even Saddam or Adolph were good guys.
Maybe Nan meant "poets" rather than posts? :)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Of course Tennessee launched into retaliatory booing at Taurasi. Diana's response: "Booing? I thought they were mooing."
Many of my old photos are difficult to understand as time passes. "What the heck? I don't get it!"

But some, like this from Feb 2004, are easy to figure out many years later.

moos.jpg

Reaction Score
Wait I thought we weren't supposed to be critical of players?
Are these comments CENTER-ed around Me--no I am not paranoid!! Stop looking at me!!!

Reaction Score
Many of my old photos are difficult to understand as time passes. "What the heck? I don't get it!"

But some, like this from Feb 2004, are easy to figure out many years later.

View attachment 13591
I was at that game in K'ville - one of my favorite games of all time. Vol fans got really ugly - much worse than just booing (Italian slurs for Geno & D, plus additional name-calling). I don't remember the actual mooing cows in the stands but, since Biff provided indisputable photographic evidence, I always assumed they were there. The TN team beat the crap out of DT - blatant clotheslines, etc. - with full complicity of the refs, and the roaring approval of the crowd. D just rose above and sank shot after shot. I was SOOO glad we won!!! (having done my share of fan-to-fan trash talking, and being outnumbered about 16,000 to 42)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just asking Nan, but shouldn't the 'Bad people' on this board read your message as well?!:eek::rolleyes::)

I did.

Props to afor Rules Modification.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Fans of both the men's and women's teams, know Boo as one person only: Nantambu 'Boo' Willingham. Played with Kevin Ollie.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fans of both the men's and women's teams, know Boo as one person only: Nantambu 'Boo' Willingham. Played with Kevin Ollie.
Gotta disagree. Over here, Boo is most definitely Semeka Randall. It was Svetlana Abrosimova that "gave" her the nickname, after all. If you search for Boo Randall in Google, you'll find news articles that call her by that name.

I loved everything about Boo Randall's game and she seems like a quality person. If she'd chosen to come to UConn, she would be up there with "most beloved" Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom