Playoff on the way in 2014??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Playoff on the way in 2014???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Until a playoff format exists for the 11 total 1-A conference champs (will it be 10 conferences now? who knows, it's all driven by TV money).

But, until a playoff format exists such that the winners of the 10 or 11 division 1-A conference champions play games in december leading up to a new year's national championship game....

the word "playoff" is meaningless if it includes anything having to do with the BCS.

What is very new, and encouraging about this, is that the people in charge are actually seriously thinking about mandating that conference champions be part of this bastardized "playoff".

That's a HUGE step in the right direction.

My guess is that what's really holding all of this up, is Notre Dame. If the conference commissioners and BCS people are actually open to mandating conference champions in a playoff, even if it's only 4 teams right now, rather than each conference champion?

THe only thing between that, and true national championship playoff - is Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
do you know what the reasoning was behind ND's current sweetheart deal? i didn't really follow the nonsports side of college sports at all back then. you wouldn't think the conferences would roll over for ND, but apparently they did once, so it's always a possibility.

Oklahoma Board of Regents v. NCAA. 1984.

The deregulation of football broadcasting due to Sherman Anti-Trust. That's why Notre Dame got their sweetheart deal.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame may be the single most economically powerful football program in the country (I'm fairly certain they'd be behind Texas but no matter),

This is exactly why I don't think it is a slam dunk that Notre Dame would rather join the ACC vs join the NBE. Is Notre Dame really going to swallow their pride and become a servant on Tobacco Road or would they prefer to rule the new BigEast? It may not matter that the ACC is viewed as the better conference, if ND wants to join the best conference they will join the Big 10.

If ND did join the new Big East there would be somewhat of a halo effect on the other Big East members, recruiting would pick up immediately and it would be a decent football conference, really good if BYU were added. Hopefully NBC has the money to make it happen. Versus could be the Notre Dame network.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing about it all to me, is that I trully believe that the entire college landscape from coast to coast is so effed up now, and that century old rivalry is getting trashed is two-fold.

#1. The lack of true national playoff post season to determine a national champion.
#2. The supreme's courts decision in Oklahoma Board of Regents v. NCAA

#2. isn't going to change. Broadcasting revenue aroudn football is going to continue to be the driving economic force in intercollegiate athletics.

So - without #1 in place, there's absolutely no reason to maintain a geographic system or any rivalrly. Money talks. Missouri v. Kansas? Gone. Pitt v. WVU? Gone. Syracuse v. UConn? Gone. Etc. Etc. Cash register......kaching.

#1 can change though. And the invitation bowl system doesn't have to be done away with either.

and I think those natural conference relationships would come back.

all it would take is the formation of a standard national playoff system for 10-12 conference champions playing 4-5 games in December, with a championship game around New Years Day.

Reaction Score
SEC, B-12, PAC12, B-10....What's missing in this scenario? Why would the ACc and the Big East EVER buy into htis deal, which pretty much relegates them to non-BCS status?

Reaction Score
SEC, B-12, PAC12, B-10....What's missing in this scenario? Why would the ACc and the Big East EVER buy into htis deal, which pretty much relegates them to non-BCS status?

How do you figure? A playoff helps level the playing field, which is exactly why there is resistance to it.

The Big East may be shut out right now under the current format, I'm not sure a 12-0 Big East team would make it to the final two game at the moment, they would make it to a final four.

Reaction Score

Whom do you think is going to ask them?

Reaction Score
To be inclusive they would have to allow each conference champion a shot at the title plus the highest ranked independent. With 11 conferences now and the one independent that gives 12 teams a chance. Obviously the top 4 ranked teams would get a bye the first week, the other 8 play that extra week. The SEC will fight anything that limits them to one school vying for a national championship so I'm thinking when it all shakes out you'll see an 8 team playoff. The 4 highest ranked conference champions and 4 at-large teams. When all is said and done that probably would be the fairest way to do it. Your conference champ would have to compete with the other conferences for one of the 4 automatic bids and yet the independents and second placed conference teams still have a shot. Even a 5th conference champ might make it if they were ranked high enough in a scenario like that.

Reaction Score
So where does Notre Dame go? That's the missing piece to this story.

Notre Dame views themselves as a national school, the new Big East would be a national conference. Notre Dame has an NBC contract, the Big East is presumed to be heading to NBC. Which conference would provide Notre Dame the easiest path to the final four? Interesting. Notre Dame at UCONN could be played at Yankee Stadium, Notre Dame at SMU could be played at the Jerry Jones Bowl.
Notre Dame at Uconn at Yankee Stadium? UConn wouldn't sign off on that in the past, why would they do so now? Notre Dame would try to demand control of 50% of the gate. If it's a UConn "home"game, the Leprechauns get their 3500 & like it (or 10,000 if it's staged in the Meadowlands). Ideally all UConn home games are staged at the Rent to drive it's expansion.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The past couple years have screwed college sports up beyond any near term repair.

I have absolutely no faith in the BCS, the conferences, presidents or the NCAA to do what makes sense.

Even March Madness - which the NCAA controls unlike the BCS - is trying their best to F with the product by adding more at large teams and play-in games.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame at Uconn at Yankee Stadium? UConn wouldn't sign off on that in the past, why would they do so now? Notre Dame would try to demand control of 50% of the gate. If it's a UConn "home"game, the Leprechauns get their 3500 & like it (or 10,000 if it's staged in the Meadowlands). Ideally all UConn home games are staged at the Rent to drive it's expansion.

If we're offered a spot opposite ND in either the Big Ten or the ACC, we would accept any condition or conditions that were put on us quicker than you can say "Rockne." Beggars can not be choosers. And at the moment, we are #begharderers.

Reaction Score
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ugjROBgdZnoJ:www.law.berkeley.edu/sugarman/Sports_Law_Anthony_Lee__Regents-College_Football-BCS.pdf oklahoma board of regents vs. ncaa&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShfE2-tH7NAWrFG7WmDeOwLtKsCCXhACRia691mFb4w9V1JTpvhgRQKUI6dZk7mdqUDEfT2HKul4BELlG6Ydvfq5e0EMzXKRf6WzcVFV3mJYybiKdLAnqD6U0M-kU-MGhgh-070&sig=AHIEtbQlL8tFgod9Dt-AOJ0u5G5WzP3Jmw

mattp wanted to know how/why Notre Dame was able to get into the situation they are in with an independant BCS position and television contract.

Simple. De-regulation of broadcasting, and a nationwide following, as well as a concentrated following in the Catholic dominated television goldmine that is the northeast corridor of the USA = huge, exclusive broadcasting contract from major television network.

Another wonderful read that sums up everything that I"ve been yapping about for months.

College football needs a true playoff among all division 1-A conference champions to determine a national champion. It's the only way to the stop the madness that was unleashed in the mid 1980s with broadcasting revenue becoming the primary economic force in intercollegiate athletics.

What seems to be really cool, is that maybe the fans, US, can really have an impact now through the internet. I'm seeing stuff like this around more and more. People are beginning to understand what's going on why their favorite college rivalries are getting torn apart, and they're sharing that knowledge with others.

So, UConn fanatics, another 30 page thesis posted by me. Take the time to read and be educated.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think the chance of the BCS ever playing a 4 team playoff is slim. I think it will be 8 or 16 teams by the time the networks are done bidding on it. The BCS is starting at 4 teams to push the bidding higher.

You do highlight UConn's biggest problem. Realignment developed in the worst scenario possible for UConn. If the Big East had held tight, there would have been a huge payday for the conference. If there had been a full blown merger with the ACC, there would have been a huge payday for the conference. Pitt and Syracuse leaving by themselves damaged the Big East, but also put the ACC in a position where it can't afford to add anymore teams. Florida State will make over $5MM LESS per year than any other conference's top football program. The ACC is by far the lowest paid conference, which restricts any future expansion, and absolutely ELIMINATES the possibility of Notre Dame ever joining. So not only is the Big East damaged by realignment, but the most likely conference savior for UConn, the ACC, is also damaged.

Reaction Score
if this playoff scenerio develops, and ND is forced into a conference, i have a feeling they'd be given the most ridiculous deal imaginable by Marinatto to join the BE. he'd probably allow them to keep their own broadcast rights, give them a piece of ours, and he'd probably only make them play 2 conference games per year, and one of them will be against Navy. i don't see them joining as an equal partner in the ACC or B1G. does anyone here really think ND will ever be okay with getting the same broadcasting revenue as Wake Forest or Indiana?

Reaction Score
Here's the thing, though...as far as Notre Dame goes, the big fear is that the irish finsih 12-0, 11-1 and are left out because they are not in a conference. it is almost a guarentee that they share the national championship regardless of who wins the national championship game. As always, a deal will be conjured up at the 11th hour to accomodate them.

Reaction Score
good point. maybe ND would rather stay out of the theoretical BCS conference playoff. that way they can just crown themselves as college football champions every year without having to play anybody.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
good point. maybe ND would rather stay out of the theoretical BCS conference playoff. that way they can just crown themselves as college football champions every year without having to play anybody.
I'm not exactly sure that would satisfy the crazy Alumni base... There isn't a fan base in the nation more delusional and more destructive to it's own self interest.... except maybe Rutgers fans. :D

Reaction Score
Scott was clear that he wanted to minimize the weight that the polls have in determining a champion. hence, you win your conference championship, you get a spot in the playoff.
leaves some questions around which conference champions if there are more than 4...

Reaction Score
The short term answer is polls or a selection committee. You can bet, however that the long term answer for Scott, the Big Ten and the SEC is to shrink it down to four power conferences whose winner automatically qualify, and if they need to leave the NCAA to cut every one else out so be it.

Reaction Score
Scott was clear that he wanted to minimize the weight that the polls have in determining a champion. hence, you win your conference championship, you get a spot in the playoff.
leaves some questions around which conference champions if there are more than 4...

the greatest byproduct of such a system is that we'd probably see a lot more big OOC games during the season. it would be nice to see schools schedule compelling games instead of simply aiming for an undefeated OOC schedule

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I expect a 16 team playoff with 7-8 conference automatics and a Selection Committee, much like basketball.

Reaction Score

And that's the idea. Give everyone else access in name only.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I expect a 16 team playoff with 7-8 conference automatics and a Selection Committee, much like basketball.
I'd be willing to wager a significant sum that this will never happen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'd be willing to wager a significant sum that this will never happen.

Unless you can explain why a bunch of public universities from states that are drowning in red ink would pass on a multi-hundred million dollar payday, I do not understand your position.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Because the only system on the table at the moment is 4 teams. And maybe, in some remote fit of logic, they see it fit to include 8 teams in to a playoff structure. But I think that a 16 team tournament is such a far cry from a) what's in place now, and b) what is being discussed, that I do not see it as a possibility. Mind you, it would be better than what we have now. But I don't consider it realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom