Playoff on the way in 2014??? | The Boneyard

Playoff on the way in 2014???

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Apologies if already posted and I missed it, but...........
NYT article with lots of quotes from Larry Scott on his vision of a BCS playoff. Cliff notes:
  • +1 model
  • 4 teams get in, each have to be conference champs
  • Only the championship game is played on neutral site (this was position of the B1G as well)
  • Scott wants less bowl games
  • They anticipate BCS contract $$$ to double (current $125 mil)
The complaint will be from the team that goes 12-0 and then loses their championship game. Or 11-1 and doesn't qualify for the championship game because of a tiebreaker. I think this is probably a best case scenario for the Big East, as long as we get a reasonable piece of the pie when the contract is divided up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/s...that-would-scrap-the-bcs.html?_r=2&ref=sports

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Heard about this yesterday - thanks for posting the actual story.

IMHO if they add the Cotton Bowl to the BCS slate and the Big East gets a tie-in to it (or the Fiesta), then put a bow on it and let's roll...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The most interesting statement from Scott and backed up by Slive was the requirement of being conference champion to participate. No independents.

An 8 team playoff could work within the academic calendar, but looks unlikely this cycle. The Rose Bowl would sign off if they keep their NYD date and guarantee at least a B1G #2 vs P12 #2 matchup. The other major bowls would follow suit.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
If the ultimate goal is to reach some sort of parody amongst Div-1 conferences then an 8 team, conference champ only playoff would be the way to go. Before you poo-poo it hear me out. The Big East, MAAC and C-USA/MntWest conferences would immediately get applications from the likes of Notre Dame, BYU, other independents and schools who regularly dwell outside of the top 4 in their league. The mother of all conference realignments would occur as each school jockeys for position to acquire one of only 8 chances to win a National Championship.
Should it happen? Absolutely. Will it happen? Never.

Reaction Score
So where does Notre Dame go? That's the missing piece to this story.

Notre Dame views themselves as a national school, the new Big East would be a national conference. Notre Dame has an NBC contract, the Big East is presumed to be heading to NBC. Which conference would provide Notre Dame the easiest path to the final four? Interesting. Notre Dame at UCONN could be played at Yankee Stadium, Notre Dame at SMU could be played at the Jerry Jones Bowl.

Reaction Score
I feel a little uneasy having the big boys talk about this in a room while Marinate serves cocktails with his dunce hat on.

Reaction Score
So where does Notre Dame go? That's the missing piece to this story.

Notre Dame views themselves as a national school, the new Big East would be a national conference. Notre Dame has an NBC contract, the Big East is presumed to be heading to NBC. Which conference would provide Notre Dame the easiest path to the final four? Interesting. Notre Dame at UCONN could be played at Yankee Stadium, Notre Dame at SMU could be played at the Jerry Jones Bowl.

This. It is only a matter of time before the SEC and Big Ten reject the idea that Notre Dame can pick its own schedule and have an easier path to a championship than their members. This plan may not come to fruition, and it may not be immediately, but the Irish are going to be driven into a conference in the next one or two decades, and it could be immediately.

There is zero per cent chance they join the new Big East in football. Their choice will boil down to the "old Big East", which will be the ACC North (BC, Syracuse, Pitt, ND, MD, Va Tech, Miami or Virginia and the 16th team which is presumably UConn) or the Big Ten. And there are pluses and minuses to each pick, but I think the ACC has a good chance to land them under that scenario.

Reaction Score
If the ultimate goal is to reach some sort of parody amongst Div-1 conferences then an 8 team, conference champ only playoff would be the way to go. Before you poo-poo it hear me out. The Big East, MAAC and C-USA/MntWest conferences would immediately get applications from the likes of Notre Dame, BYU, other independents and schools who regularly dwell outside of the top 4 in their league. The mother of all conference realignments would occur as each school jockeys for position to acquire one of only 8 chances to win a National Championship.
Should it happen? Absolutely. Will it happen? Never.

i wish they had done this 10 years ago as it would have kept the conferences from raiding each other. why would WVU want to compete against OU and TX every year when they could stay here and have an excellent shot of making the playoff every year. in a perfect world we'd have 8 8 team conferences oriented largely by geography. they'd play each other every year in football, and twice in bball, and the champions would duke it out in an 8 team playoff. now that the conferences have merged and began the march towards 4 "super conferences" it will never happen. if we do get to 4 superconferences of 16 each you could simulate an 8 team playoff by using the superconference championship game as the first round, and then having a final four of the winners.

Reaction Score
i wish they had done this 10 years ago as it would have kept the conferences from raiding each other. why would WVU want to compete against OU and TX every year when they could stay here and have an excellent shot of making the playoff every year. in a perfect world we'd have 8 8 team conferences oriented largely by geography. they'd play each other every year in football, and twice in bball, and the champions would duke it out in an 8 team playoff. now that the conferences have merged and began the march towards 4 "super conferences" it will never happen. if we do get to 4 superconferences of 16 each you could simulate an 8 team playoff by using the superconference championship game as the first round, and then having a final four of the winners.

Maybe, but maybe not. For reasons I don't entirely understand, TV money seems to be voting that bigger conferences are better than smaller conferences, and that would push this consolidation even if the football championship format is restructured.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this just fits right into my con theory of 18 to 4. people talk about 16 all the time. it give u 8 and 8 division wise so 7 games plus 2 others in conf but cross division. thats alot of tv $$ but you cna do better. and no one needs to get left out. 18 i still think is the gold number. gives u 9 and 9 for divisions, 8 games and a cross rival game in fball. it makes that 1 important rival still important 4 u. in bball its a round robin 17 games plus that same rival. 18 gives leagues the max amount of teams and $$ and gets everyone into the dance with a chance.

4 team playoff with the auot bids coming from the conf champs of each league. i like it. 3 of the leagues are in for sure sec/pac/b10 and i suspect that the b12 will survive becuase of the name power and the way things are set up now. the be/acc will die and the mwc/cusa will become the big country conf. schools that seemed unmovable will now shift last minute becuase of $$ and not wanting to be left behind. something like this:

b10-nd/ruty/uconn/md/uva/unc. the conf picks up great mk's/$$. these adds are not duds in fball(md recently cough) and all have good potential. bball is the best league to boot and other sports are good now also base/lax/soc...

sec-ncst/vt/wvu/2nd tex team in a mk i think its tcu actually. they add mk's/$$ and 3 great fball programs and a project in a big mk.

pac-byu/bsu/nevada or unlv/? maybe hawaii(they want china tv so hawaii home games helps with the programing hours somewhat)

then comes the 4th player. the b12(tex/ok) aren't going to get pushed around in the end and they have a crisi on ther hands. simple fix.
tex/tt/bay/ok/okst/kan/kst/ist
+
fsu/miami/gt/clem/lville/cincy
thats 14 that are ready to go now. then they grab the last 4
+
memphis/tulane/uh/smu all big markets and project in fball. this league is fine with top fball so they can afford projects. uh/smu are mks that atm/tcu left.

the acc has no choice but no goto 16 asap. and its funny as all get out.
bc/cuse/pitt/duke/wake
+
navy/army/temple/usf/ucf/ecu
thats 12. they need 4 more now and they are hard to find lol
+
umass/buff/ohio/w&m upgrade.
the acc is now a funny ass mess.

without bsu/tcu/uh and others ina cusa type of conf, that league goes back to sun belt status. the acc is the league left out and crying all the time but no on cares.

this was todays doom posting for bcu athletics, its brought to you buy citysports boston and flipper the dolphin up there not the movie goddammit!

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Is it going to be a "Plus One"? Or 4 Team Playoff scenario. They are very different. I am NOT in favor of the "+1".

Reaction Score
The article was quite clear. A four team playoff, with the semis before New Years at the home of the higher seeds, and the final shortly after new Year's.:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Is it going to be a "Plus One"? Or 4 Team Playoff scenario. They are very different. I am NOT in favor of the "+1".
Sorry, I posted "plus one" because the way I see it, the suggested format is one more round, four teams total. Hence plus one. Who gets there was noted in another bullet.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here is how the negotiation is going to go.

BCS/Pac 12/B1G/whoever: We would be willing to consider a 4 team playoff as long as you protect the integrity of the bowl system blah blah blah.

ESPN: We will pay you $30MM/game for a 16 team playoff where the first 3 rounds are hosted by the higher seed, or $20MM/game for the BCS bowls and a couple of million each for all these other random bowls in empty stadiums in places like Shreveport, LA where the schools take a financial bath.

BCS: Playoffs sound good.

These articles are simply signals to ESPN and the rest of the networks to get their checkbook out because a playoff is on the table.

Reaction Score
This. It is only a matter of time before the SEC and Big Ten reject the idea that Notre Dame can pick its own schedule and have an easier path to a championship than their members. This plan may not come to fruition, and it may not be immediately, but the Irish are going to be driven into a conference in the next one or two decades, and it could be immediately.

There is zero per cent chance they join the new Big East in football. Their choice will boil down to the "old Big East", which will be the ACC North (BC, Syracuse, Pitt, ND, MD, Va Tech, Miami or Virginia and the 16th team which is presumably UConn) or the Big Ten. And there are pluses and minuses to each pick, but I think the ACC has a good chance to land them under that scenario.

Or they could keep their Big East football "partnership" where they could be considered the BE's champion if they are ranked higher than the actual BE champion. I see this as a much likelier scenario than ND being forced into a conference. I just hope the BE doesn't sign off on it.

Reaction Score
Or they could keep their Big East football "partnership" where they could be considered the BE's champion if they are ranked higher than the actual BE champion. I see this as a much likelier scenario than ND being forced into a conference. I just hope the BE doesn't sign off on it.

I have very little faith in John Marinatto. But you have to be an utter incompetent buffoon to agree to that stipulation with ND.

Color me concerned.

Reaction Score

Forget whether the Big East signs off on it -- the Big East has no power. Why would the SEC or Big Ten sign off on it?

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't they sign off on it? I think they would rather see ND in the final 4 than the BE champion.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't they sign off on it? I think they would rather see ND in the final 4 than the BE champion.

The stipulation would be that ND would be able to qualify for the playoff if they are ranked higher than ANY conference champion. Not just the Big East champion. Not one conference commissioner would do that.

Reaction Score
The stipulation would be that ND would be able to qualify for the playoff if they are ranked higher than ANY conference champion. Not just the Big East champion. Not one conference commissioner would do that.
In this scenario I agree.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame may be the single most economically powerful football program in the country (I'm fairly certain they'd be behind Texas but no matter), but its economic power in the marketplace is nowhere near the combined power of the major conferences. And I don't see why the major conferences are going to give them a break in this type of format. If an SEC team can't go to the playoffs without winning a conference championship game, why in the world would they let ND do so?

Reaction Score
Notre Dame may be the single most economically powerful football program in the country (I'm fairly certain they'd be behind Texas but no matter), but its economic power in the marketplace is nowhere near the combined power of the major conferences. And I don't see why the major conferences are going to give them a break in this type of format. If an SEC team can't go to the playoffs without winning a conference championship game, why in the world would they let ND do so?

do you know what the reasoning was behind ND's current sweetheart deal? i didn't really follow the nonsports side of college sports at all back then. you wouldn't think the conferences would roll over for ND, but apparently they did once, so it's always a possibility.

Reaction Score
do you know what the reasoning was behind ND's current sweetheart deal? i didn't really follow the nonsports side of college sports at all back then. you wouldn't think the conferences would roll over for ND, but apparently they did once, so it's always a possibility.

The BCS was a negotiation between the conferences and the bowls, and the bowls wanted ND included (and ponied up more money for them to be included).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom