Players Assisting Recruiting - Tyler and Alex | The Boneyard

Players Assisting Recruiting - Tyler and Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

You know, when I was critical of our player leadership a couple years ago, one thing that bothered me was their lack of help on recruiting.

What I really love about this group of players is how the Captains and others take it as one of their responsibilities and it comes naturally.

The 2 guys I would like to highlight are Alex and Tyler Olander. Alex is always trying to get great players to join the team. Olander is probably KO's secret weapon. When things are quiet on campus, we have a local guy who knows the local turf/talent and can show the recruits a good time. His willingness to do so, despite maybe reducing his potential playing minutes is a tribute to his character. I am sure the coaches will factor that in and give him some decent PT. I see him as a future Captain and a future Graduate Assistant Coach. While we are all celebrating the arrival of AD Let's also remember guys like Tyler also built a winning team.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Don't know anything about what Tyler does, but there is confirmation about Alex trying to get players to come to UConn.

Reaction Score
Agreed...but coaches will not factor that in AT ALL when playing time is at stake...do you honestly think JC says 'hey, Tyler helped us get AD, I should give him some PT today' ??? TO will have to earn it like the rest of em...

C

Chief00

Agreed...but coaches will not factor that in AT ALL when playing time is at stake...do you honestly think JC says 'hey, Tyler helped us get AD, I should give him some PT today' ??? TO will have to earn it like the rest of em...

C

Chief00

DMW88 - I could not disagree more. There is always room for a great teammate on a Calhoun coached team. Someone who puts it on the line for the team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Chief, JC has never given any minutes to any player for any reason, other than they've earned it in practice. It's never happened. And JC ain't about to change his spots at 70 years old.

C

Chief00

My understanding is that Tyler will get minutes this season. Let's remember Tyler started last season despite not exactly filling up the boxscore. JC will give him minutes for intangibles.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
My understanding is that Tyler will get minutes this season. Let's remember Tyler started last season despite not exactly filling up the boxscore. JC will give him minutes for intangibles.
Hey gotta give Tyler HUGE props for starting in the NC game and scoring - despite all the pressure. He is who he is and he may not play in the NBA but he was also young and played with confidence. Add some bulk and I have to be optimistic about his being a solid role player.

As to AO, he's taken a lot of abuse but he seems like the nicest kid, someone people really like.

Reaction Score
On his announcement, he repped @Oriakhi, which says all you need to know...

Im warning you guys now, Oriakhi is entering my Uconn Pantheon earlier than most players for the following reasons:

1. being an absurdly early commitment, for staying with it even as his reputation grew
2. for his energy and being a great teammate
3. for inventing the phrase "lil' homie"
4. for his play in the Maui invitational and the NCAA tourney
5. for being a junior captain who clearly drives his teammates and creates a great team chemistry
6. of course, for being a National Champion

oh yea, did i mention he's only a junior?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The addition of AD most likely impacts three players negatively when it comes to playing time. Those players are Bradley, Niels and Tyler. I'm not sure Wolf was going to get much time even before the addition of AD.

Perhaps early in the season Tyler will have significant playing time, but I suspect as JC finishes his deconstruct of AD, AD and AO will be on the court for most of the time and TO will be back to a similar role regarding playing time that he had his freshman year. And if Bradley shows something he could adversely impact TO as well. The interesting thing will be how JC choses to play Roscoe. Does JC continue to utilize him at the four? I'm sure occasionally but far less than he was needed last season.

I was concerned about the loss of Chuck. I had wondered if Bradley could provide at least as much as Chuck did last season. That concern has been addressed obviously with AD.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I didn't say that I didn't think he'd get minutes. He'll get minutes because he earns them in practice. I was saying that JC will not give him minutes as 'thanks' for helping recruit Drummond, as you implied in a previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom