Plan C? | The Boneyard

Plan C?

If Big 12 denies us, could you go for this plan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So if Plan A (Big 12 invitation) and Plan B (NBE basketball and IDK where football goes) don't work out, here is my Plan C. First off, let's assume that the Big 12 adds Houston and Cincy, and we are left with 10 in football and 9 in basketball as Navy sticks around.

If that is the case, I argue for trying to get either an Air Force/Colorado St. combo or an Air Force/Army football-only combo. If that doesn't work out, and I don't think it does, here's what I would do. In football, you don't add anyone (no else adds value that is close enough not to significantly raise costs...hahum...Boise St. and SDSU), and go to two 5-team divisions. We would play everyone in our division once, one-permanent crossover (we have to demand Navy), and two teams from the other division on a rotation. In basketball, we need to add Wichita State (and tell them to shelve the football idea) and VCU.

Additionally, we need to make sure the AAC schedules us to play WSU, VCU, Memphis, Temple, SMU, and Tulsa twice every year in conference. Finally, we have to be able to get back our Tier 3 rights from the AAC. If the AAC doesn't play ball, we go back to Plan B with football independence (ugly I know).

Pros: we could play 5 P5 non-conference games, our basketball league actually gets slightly better, we play Navy every year, we get back our Tier 3 rights.

Con: Cincy and Houston are no longer in the conference, and we only play six games every year at home in football.

P.S. Some of this is stolen from a CSNBBS poster, but some of it is mine.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Alright, I'll comment.

*If* UConn is left behind in the AAC after Cincinnati and Houston are picked, then I would want Benedict/Goetz/Herbst to explore blowing up the AAC and pioneer a new "best of the rest" G5 conference. Make it a FB/MBB only conference to save on travel. Put WBB & Olympics in the Big East.

East: UConn, Temple, Memphis, USF, UCF, ECU
West: BYU, Boise, SDSU, Colorado St, Northern Illinois, TBD??

Stream games. Schools keep 100% of Tier 3 media rights. Then hope like hell that a P5 conference gets a little expansion itchy because having 2 AAC schools taken away from us would be equivalent to a death blow for our AD.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Alright, I'll comment.

*If* UConn is left behind in the AAC after Cincinnati and Houston are picked, then I would want Benedict/Goetz/Herbst to explore blowing up the AAC and pioneer a new "best of the rest" G5 conference. Make it a FB/MBB only conference to save on travel. Put WBB & Olympics in the Big East.

Stream games. Schools keep 100% of Tier 3 media rights. Then hope like hell that a P5 conference gets a little expansion itchy because having 2 AAC schools taken away from us would be equivalent to a death blow for our AD.
No offense but some of those schools are awful. Northern Illinois? I would want this (BYU would never agree to join a non power league and be seeen as inferior to Utah):

West: Navy, Air Force, SDSU, New Mexico, Fresno St., UNLV

7 good schools in basketball (UConn, Temple, Memphis, SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico, BYU)
7 good schools in football (USF, UCF, ECU, Navy, Air Force, SDSU, Fresno St.)

Navy would be football-only, and we could have BYU basketball with a scheduling agreement in football.

Why not just add the rest of the sports? Navy would be football-only, and BYU would be everything but football. We wouldn't force them to play any conference games on Sundays, and have all our conference tournaments end on a Saturday (which I don't mind at all). Non-BYU conference games could still be on Sundays.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alright, I'll comment.

Where do the other 11 schools put their olympics???

Dooley

Reaction Score
No offense but some of those schools are awful. Northern Illinois? I would want this (BYU would never agree to join a non power league and be seeen as inferior to Utah):

6 good schools in basketball (UConn, Temple, Memphis, SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico)

Forgot about Navy. Yeah, add them to the east and put one of the last 3 in the East into the West.

I don't care who the West teams are but why no BYU? They're a must add in any sort of "best of the G5" conference. Two biggest G5 brands are UConn and BYU. We will kind of need each other while in purgatory.

NIU is solid football, which drives the bus. But if you want to replace them with another MAC team (C Michigan??), then fine. I really don't care because I'll be too depressed to care if UConn is passed over for 2 other AAC schools.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Forgot about Navy. Yeah, add them to the east and put one of the last 3 in the East into the West.

I don't care who the West teams are but why no BYU? They're a must add in any sort of "best of the G5" conference. Two biggest G5 brands are UConn and BYU. We will kind of need each other while in purgatory.

NIU is solid football, which drives the bus. But if you want to replace them with another MAC team (C Michigan??), then fine. I really don't care because I'll be too depressed to care if UConn is passed over for 2 other AAC schools.
I'll be depressed too but at this point I just want the Big 12 to expand so we can move on. If you read my edited post, I have my idea for BYU.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Where do the other 11 schools put their olympics???

I don't know/care. MWC? CUSA? MAC? Maybe the Big East will add Temple if Nova doesn't pitch a stink?

This "best of G5" idea will be too depressing to seriously entertain until we absolutely have to.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

7 good schools in basketball (UConn, Temple, Memphis, SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico, BYU)

Navy would be football-only, and we could have BYU basketball with a scheduling agreement in football.

Why not just add the rest of the sports? Navy would be football-only, and BYU would be everything but football. We wouldn't force them to play any conference games on Sundays, and have all our conference tournaments end on a Saturday (which I don't mind at all). Non-BYU conference games could still be on Sundays.
This is officially Plan D, and I think it's better than both B and C.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'll be depressed too but at this point I just want the Big 12 to expand so we can move on. If you read my edited post, I have my idea for BYU.

Of course BYU would join a "best of G5" conference, should one come together. As long as the conference truly consists of "best" schools - not Tulsa, Tulane, SMU types. Just like the rest of us, it's getting increasingly difficult to schedule with most of the P5 turning into P5 vs FCS/G5 snobs.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Of course BYU would join a "best of G5" conference, should one come together. As long as the conference truly consists of "best" schools - not Tulsa, Tulane, SMU types. Just like the rest of us, it's getting increasingly difficult to schedule with most of the P5 turning into P5 vs FCS/G5 snobs.
That's the problem. BYU is very arrogant; they refuse to see themselves as inferior to Utah and a G5. A turd is still a turd even if you shine it.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Of course this all would hinge on if the conference would count as a G5 conference to begin with. I could see serious opposition from both the P5 and rest of the G5.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Plan C is all of you guys coming over to my place and drinking bourbon until we can't remember what conference we're in.

We may need to do that now

Reaction Score
Plan C is all of you guys coming over to my place and drinking bourbon until we can't remember what conference we're in.

CR just jumped the shark.

Reaction Score
Alright, I'll comment.

This conference you just invented sucks a**. You didn't even try. What the is going on around here?

Reaction Score
I think this board should get certified as having PTSD and get some medical MJ.

In case of the OP, institutionalization might be a good option.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I say if we lose out this round on CR and don't make the Big 12 (and let's say they take Houston and Cincy from the AAC), we stay the course in the AAC and wait for further Big 12 expansion or (more likely) ACC or B1G moves... Get Aresco and the AAC to go get 2 nasty football and mildly competitive schools in MBB... My picks right now would be: 1. Southern Mississippi 2. Marshall

The MAC schools all are smaller in terms of stadium size, fanbase, and recruiting territories. Southern Miss while is on a down slope in terms of FB success recently, has a larger stadium (36,000), good fanbase, and decent recruiting area in the south. Marshall has been good recently and makes geographic sense as well. Their stadium seats 38,227.

After that, if the AAC wanted to expand to the west I think you look at Colorado State (they will open their new 45K seat stadium soon), and maybe Air Force? There's also always Army here in the Northeast to look at too- maybe they become a FB-only add like Navy is?

Reaction Score
I say if we lose out this round on CR and don't make the Big 12 (and let's say they take Houston and Cincy from the AAC), we stay the course in the AAC and wait for further Big 12 expansion or (more likely) ACC or B1G moves... Get Aresco and the AAC to go get 2 nasty football and mildly competitive schools in MBB... My picks right now would be: 1. Southern Mississippi 2. Marshall

The MAC schools all are smaller in terms of stadium size, fanbase, and recruiting territories. Southern Miss while is on a down slope in terms of FB success recently, has a larger stadium (36,000), good fanbase, and decent recruiting area in the south. Marshall has been good recently and makes geographic sense as well. Their stadium seats 38,227.

After that, if the AAC wanted to expand to the west I think you look at Colorado State (they will open their new 45K seat stadium soon), and maybe Air Force? There's also always Army here in the Northeast to look at too- maybe they become a FB-only add like Navy is?

NO NO NO. No to Southern Miss and No to Marshall.

We don't need two more mediocre football-centric schools in the middle of nowhere that couldn't put a basketball through the hoop if they were playing on a 3 foot tall Fisher Price rim.

IF - huge if here - IF the Big 12 grabs only Cincy and Houston the American needs to stay at 10 for football and 9 for bball unless programs like BYU, Boise St. Air Force or Colorado State become available.

From a football standpoint, staying at 10 makes the most sense. We can still hold a football championship at 10 and even without Cincy and Houston we can still be as good if not better every year than the Mountain West conference every year and compete for the New Year's 6 bowl.

From a hoops standpoint playing in the 9 team American means we are only on the hook for 16 conference game per season as opposed to the 18 now, which gives us a chance to actually improve our RPI by scheduling two tougher OOC teams annually.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
NO NO NO. No to Southern Miss and No to Marshall.

We don't need two more mediocre football-centric schools in the middle of nowhere that couldn't put a basketball through the hoop if they were playing on a 3 foot tall Fisher Price rim.

IF - huge if here - IF the Big 12 grabs only Cincy and Houston the American needs to stay at 10 for football and 9 for bball unless programs like BYU, Boise St. Air Force or Colorado State become available.

From a football standpoint, staying at 10 makes the most sense. We can still hold a football championship at 10 and even without Cincy and Houston we can still be as good if not better every year than the Mountain West conference every year and compete for the New Year's 6 bowl.

From a hoops standpoint playing in the 9 team American means we are only on the hook for 16 conference game per season as opposed to the 18 now, which gives us a chance to actually improve our RPI by scheduling two tougher OOC teams annually.
I can agree on all that... but why wouldn't the American want to get back to 12, and pick up some quality football in the process? Ok, fine, grab BYU and Boise State, and maybe Colorado State. Raid the Mtn. West instead of the MAC or C-USA. I mean at this point these confrence (Group of 5) should just all merge anyway. Create one big non-P5 conference. Have its own "playoff".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom