"Plan B" ? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

"Plan B" ?

"If the UConn is jilted by the Big 12, should they leave the AAC, rejoin the Big East?

• yes

Votes: 88 44.4%
  • no

Votes: 110 55.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Look I'm not saying fire Ollie or Dunphy or any of them today. But you need to be prepared to do it. Jury is still out on whether Ollie is the next Calhoun or the next Mike Davis. If it looks like the latter after this season he needs to be seriously evaluated. And not by Jim Calhoun. As I said there are a bunch of teams that were consistently good and almost all have regressed.

FWIW I don't much care about ranking recruiting class ranks until they actually do it on this level. And we have lost 6,8,7 games in this supposed crappy league with a league title in the year the best team was suspended. National title was great but we have regressed badly since then. In a sense that was arguably Calhouns last harrah.

Yeah let's just find the next Calhoun. He's only one of the best five or six coaches in CBB history. Should be a piece of cake.

Reaction Score
Why did ignorebot just allow me to read this cr@p?

I think I'm gonna have to bring him in for a tune up.

Reaction Score
You guys clearly miss the point. This league needs to focus on upgrading its basketball programs in the same way it has been pushing to upgrade football. And it has been a concerted effort by many schools bringing in new coaches when the ones they have fail, upgrading facilities, paying successful guys. And in seems to be working. Houston finished the year ranked in the top 10 Navy in the top 25 and a few others just outside. We have schools with basketball pedigrees yet struggle to compete. Everyone needs to step up and focus on doing the things necessary to bring programs back. UConn for one can't go through this league with 7-8 losses. Nor can Temple or Cincy or Memphis. Memphis took a solid step. Every year they have these great recruiting classes but struggle. Time to get someone who can actually coach. Every school in the league needs to take the view that 24-10, 7th seed 2nd round loss is only acceptable in an off-year. The league powers need to show the way. I follow UConn so they are my focus but this could be written about any of the 5-6 hoop schools in this conference.

Reaction Score
And why the heck not try for the next Calhoun? Maybe you don't get him but you get someone very good. UNC is instructive I think. They "couldn't get the next Dean" so settled for someone young and a protege. But when that didn't work they didn't wait 10 years, they went out and got Roy who might not be Dean but he was pretty darned good. Kansas could have reacted by saying we will never get the next Roy, but instead they hired a proven guy in Bill Self who has been a very good coach. Temple isn't getting another Chaney, but if Dunfey continues to put clunkers out there they need to make a change, and not in another 4-5 years. Like next year or the next one st the latest. Same with UCONN. If we aren't making deep runs in 2018 We need to get the next guy and if we need to mortgage Gampel to do it them prepare the paperwork. This league has teams with excellent hoop pedigrees. There is no reason it shouldn't be much better than it has been to date.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And why the heck not try for the next Calhoun? Maybe you don't get him but you get someone very good. UNC is instructive I think. They "couldn't get the next Dean" so settled for someone young and a protege. But when that didn't work they didn't wait 10 years, they went out and got Roy who might not be Dean but he was pretty darned good. Kansas could have reacted by saying we will never get the next Roy, but instead they hired a proven guy in Bill Self who has been a very good coach. Temple isn't getting another Chaney, but if Dunfey continues to put clunkers out there they need to make a change, and not in another 4-5 years. Like next year or the next one st the latest. Same with UCONN. If we aren't making deep runs in 2018 We need to get the next guy and if we need to mortgage Gampel to do it them prepare the paperwork. This league has teams with excellent hoop pedigrees. There is no reason it shouldn't be much better than it has been to date.

Fair enough. If we don't make a sweet 16 by 2018 (over the next two years) should we consider replacing Ollie? Yeah, probably. But I think the context of how that happens will be important (key injury to core player keeps us out...like it did with AJ Price). But the problem with your posts is that you assume the worst. I look at this team and say, heck yeah, this team can make the sweet 16 right now, and next year, if Adams stays? It's a top 5 program with a legit shot at a Final Four. I see Ollie, honestly, going after more top 15 kids than JC ever did. So while it is true that if Ollie "flops" we should look elsewhere, there is no rational basis for thinking that Ollie is going to flop. He sure as hell isn't Matt Doherty (Who was an absolute by the way. I played pool against him all the time at KU while he was an assistant).

Reaction Score
I'm not comparing Doherty and Ollie in a thing but a very general sense. Clearly Kevin has had way more success. And Ibuse UCONN as the main example because they are my team. But if we are 11-7 in this league again the next 2 years and an 8 seed ousted the first weekend, he needs to be gone. And that needs to be the way it works at the other schools I've listed too. Make a big commitment to landing top coaches or real up and comers and do the other things that need to be done. If the top 5 teams in this league all go into the tourney with 5 or fewer losses suddenly the American is a power league and since SOS is overstated in RPI suddenly Tulane is magically better too.

Reaction Score
Look I'm not saying fire Ollie or Dunphy or any of them today. But you need to be prepared to do it. Jury is still out on whether Ollie is the next Calhoun or the next Mike Davis. If it looks like the latter after this season he needs to be seriously evaluated. And not by Jim Calhoun. As I said there are a bunch of teams that were consistently good and almost all have regressed.

FWIW I don't much care about ranking recruiting class ranks until they actually do it on this level. And we have lost 6,8,7 games in this supposed crappy league with a league title in the year the best team was suspended. National title was great but we have regressed badly since then. In a sense that was arguably Calhouns last harrah.

Oh good grief. Ollie is almost certainly not the next Calhoun. You know how I know that? Because there may be one coach every one to two generations who would qualify to be the next Calhoun. So a strategy of firing your coach every few years because he's not Calhoun and the next one might be is an incredibly stupid strategy.

If a coach, over an appropriate period of time, isn't performing up to the standards of the program he is in, then you talk about firing him. With one championship in four years -- one of which was lost to probation before KO took over -- we are not nearly at that point yet.

Reaction Score

What the hell are you talking about? UNC replaced Dean with Bill Guthridge, who retired after three years. They didn't dump him. He'd gone to two final fours in three years. They replaced Doherty because the program completely collapsed under him.

Reaction Score
What the hell are you talking about? UNC replaced Dean with Bill Guthridge, who retired after three years. They didn't dump him. He'd gone to two final fours in three years. They replaced Doherty because the program completely collapsed under him.

You're arguing with a guy who is basically Trollbot 5000.

Reaction Score
I am not saying Ollie is the next Calhoun Good grief where are you getting that? I said you try for it. And I didn't say fire him because he isn't Calhoun. But if he continues putting up 7-8 loss conference seasons, bubble teams who get 8-9!seeds and lose the first weekend it's time to say " thanks for the championship. But good luck in the NBA." And not only UConn and Ollie but as I've said it applies to others in this league. Good grief. This should be at minimum a solid basketball league. It hasn't been and it seems to get worse each season. Time to refocus on hoops like it has done on football and get some schools to get their programs back where they belong.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I actually think we can make a go of it in the NBE with independent football if we can convince the BE to allow Memphis/Temple (who would also have to go independent in football) in as well. The NBE has much more prestige among the polls than we do in the American, and is considered a power conference in basketball by the NCAA committee.
If we can keep our Tier 3 rights away from the NBE's control, I would go for it in for the next few years.
However, I would wait until we collect the exit fees, and stay the 27-month leave period in the American to minimize cost.
In football, I believe we could schedule 6 P5s a year and others. Here is what a possible schedule in football could look like:
Virginia (A)
Missouri (H)
Indiana (A)
Illinois (H)
Syracuse(A)
New Mexico St. (H)
Holy Cross (H)
UMass (Gillette)
Memphis (A)
BYU (A)
Boston College (H)
Army (H)

So we would play 6 P5s, BYU, Army, UMass, Memphis, one FCS, one G5.
As far as TV is concerned, we would go with FOX who upon condition of us moving to NBE would have 3-4 of our games on TV. We could still get a deal with CBS Sports for a few games, and ESPN will have a few of our P5 road games. SNY would get the others.
Also, FOX would have to agree to have a mimimum of 6 conference games on big FOX. The res would all have to be on FS1 or FS2. Non-conference games can be parceled out between ESPN, SNY, CBS, and CBS Sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No one on this board gets to call any other discussion board insane.
Disagree. It's kind of what we do.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a monkey brushing to watch.
brushing-small-monkey-with-toothbrush-gif.15178

Reaction Score
The other board said:
From my guy again- take it for whatever you please...

Heard from yet another person (in the offices) that Big 12 is leaning towards NOT expanding. This corroborates what I heard yesterday from a different person who is more linked to the . Yes, that is a 180 from 2 weeks ago....

Guess you guys will just have to settle for the Big Ten.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
This is all getting so stupid... It really is... Like we're in 2016, and now we're talking about the University of Connecticut, remember- that's the one with more combined National Championships in sports than any of the Big 12 "candidates" combined? The one that just was named a top 20 public university by US News & Report... We're talking about that school going backwards and into a far less superior league for all sports (minus football) because we don't want to remain "status quo" and because the Big 12 might pass on us??? Then what happens to Football, we go to the C-USA? the Mtn. West? the MAC?- you might as well just stop selling tickets to the jokes of games that we'll be having at The Rent and go back to FCS then. Seriously that that point, why the hell even bother? Not to sounds like we're better than those schools- but here's a newsflash WE ARE, and its time to start thinking like we are. This is really the best we can do?

Why would UConn bring in a guy like Benedict who is from a P5 football school, and a guy like Diaco in to rebuild our program and bring it to the next level?

If this really happened and we went back to the Big East like it was a Jim Calhoun-less, crappier version of the 1990's all over again with a new logo- I'd say we pretty much hit rock bottom as an athletic department and we should probably cut back on the $70 some-odd million dollar spending of state tax payer dollars to support it and the University's student athletes. Is that what Herbst really wants?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is all getting so stupid... It really is... Like we're in 2016, and now we're talking about the University of Connecticut, remember- that's the one with more combined National Championships in sports than any of the Big 12 "candidates" combined? The one that just was named a top 20 public university by US News & Report... We're talking about that school going backwards and into a far less superior league for all sports (minus football) because we don't want to remain "status quo" and because the Big 12 might pass on us??? Then what happens to Football, we go to the C-USA? the Mtn. West? the MAC?- you might as well just stop selling tickets to the jokes of games that we'll be having at The Rent and go back to FCS then. Seriously that that point, why the hell even bother? Not to sounds like we're better than those schools- but here's a newsflash WE ARE, and its time to start thinking like we are. This is really the best we can do?

Why would UConn bring in a guy like Benedict who is from a P5 football school, and a guy like Diaco in to rebuild our program and bring it to the next level?

If this really happened and we went back to the Big East like it was a Jim Calhoun-less, crappier version of the 1990's all over again with a new logo- I'd say we pretty much hit rock bottom as an athletic department and we should probably cut back on the $70 some-odd million dollar spending of state tax payer dollars to support it and the University's student athletes. Is that what Herbst really wants?
Possibly as her brother apparently crushed the athletic dept of a NY school. Can't remember which.

Reaction Score
Possibly as her brother apparently crushed the athletic dept of a NY school. Can't remember which.

Her brother Jeffrey was President of Colgate for half a decade or so and I'm not sure sure of your claim that he crushed their athletic department. They built a new athletic facility/arena while he was there. Got a link?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I doubt this is true - but if it is - you may as well shut everything down.

You'll alienate so much of the fanbase there won't be anything left to salvage.
I'm not certain, but I believe the athletic department shortfall is paid by student fees, the state legislature isn't fretting over that. Should the state continue cutting the overall financing of the university budget, it could ultimately lead to extreme cutting for athletics, but the legislature isn't going to demand we join the BE to gain a few million extra per year.

Reaction Score
I doubt this is true - but if it is - you may as well shut everything down.

You'll alienate so much of the fanbase there won't be anything left to salvage.
If they leave the AAC to join the big East for an additional 2 million a year in revenue at the expense of football I'd give up on buying season tickets for fb.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If they leave the AAC to join the big East for an additional 2 million a year in revenue at the expense of football I'd give up on buying season tickets for fb.

Unless Basketball, both mens and womens takes a turn for the worst, we are riding out the American until the next major CRA event which may take as long as waiting until 2024.

And if the American has no defections over the next eight years, I don't see anything propelling us out....the American is the right conference for us, big schools knocking on the power conference door.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten dream is alive and well. They are laughing at Rutgers but also realize they may need us now more than ever for public relations in this area.

I can't believe this. Hilarious.

At the same time, half of this message board wants to rejoin the Big East...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom