"Plan B" ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"Plan B" ?

"If the UConn is jilted by the Big 12, should they leave the AAC, rejoin the Big East?

• yes

Votes: 88 44.4%
  • no

Votes: 110 55.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I disagree. Think UCF, Memphis, and Houston are even in the conversation if not for recent success? Because I don't.

A flash in the pan may not be the be-all, end-all in CR, but it gets people's attention. We've shown that flash, but unfortunately that's like ancient history at this point.
what are the three things those teams have in common? recruiting hotbeds, yes they were successful for a limited time but I feel they are given more juice because the talent rich area they populate. look at Boise st, phenomenal sustained football success over last fifteen years but they aren't even sniffing an offer. I think even if we have a great season it will be looked at as a fluke and wont get the respect it deserves.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
what are the three things those teams have in common? recruiting hotbeds, yes they were successful for a limited time but I feel they are given more juice because the talent rich area they populate. look at Boise st, phenomenal sustained football success over last fifteen years but they aren't even sniffing an offer. I think even if we have a great season it will be looked at as a fluke and wont get the respect it deserves.

Ever seen where Boise, Idaho is? There isn't a city of any consequence within 300 miles. And Boise itself is the 107th ranked DMA, so no one is fighting for it. That's why Boise St. isn't getting a sniff.

Reaction Score
This is a great poker game. The athletic department can not survive financially in even the current configuration. I'll leave it up to the bigger minds here to decide if it is time to play the only card we have. That would be the subtle leak of plan B. ESPN does not care if we die a slow death. But they might care if a still strong hoops program goes to a competitor. I'm shocked to talk this way because of negative consequences to football but that is poker

Reaction Score
Ever seen where Boise, Idaho is? There isn't a city of any consequence within 300 miles. And Boise itself is the 107th ranked DMA, so no one is fighting for it. That's why Boise St. isn't getting a sniff.

I was driving cross-country when I was 24 years old a few years back and when we were out west we decided to make a trip to Boise for a night since it was the largest "city" in the area.

I was young, figured there was a college of decent size school there (Boise St.) and it was a Thursday night, so people would probably have been out drinking and having a good time.

There may as well have been actual tumbleweed blowing through the town. It was completely dead. I couldn't even tell their was a college there, and mind you this was early November, during the height of College Football season.

I ended up getting dinner at a Chilis and seeing the movie "Role Models" in a local movie theater.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I was driving cross-country when I was 24 years old a few years back and when we were out west we decided to make a trip to Boise for a night since it was the largest "city" in the area.

I was young, figured there was a college of decent size school there (Boise St.) and it was a Thursday night, so people would probably have been out drinking and having a good time.

There may as well have been actual tumbleweed blowing through the town. It was completely dead. I couldn't even tell their was a college there, and mind you this was early November, during the height of College Football season.

I ended up getting dinner at a Chilis and seeing the movie "Role Models" in a local movie theater.

Lol. High Mormon population. Imagine Provo.

Reaction Score
That's probably due to the strong influence of William Shakespere on my writing style.

To me, it more like the "bullet points" in a Power Point presentation than Shakespeare, but it is easier to read.

I don't have a crystal ball on CR (maybe I should get out the Tarot cards) but I think you guys will be OK. The Big 12 is "right now" and I think UConn will make a strong presentation. The decisions on whom to add will be made by the 10 university presidents which is an important point. Also, I do believe the Big 10 is going to "cut loose" again soon. Somewhere I read that Delaney is interested in adding AAU basketball schools so pursuit of AAU status is very important there. All of this stuff is like a "mobile" that has been hit by a wind - the ACC gets a "linear network", the Big 12 then correctly decides it must expand to try to secure itself, if the Big 12 goes to 14 the Pac 12 may decide to add two members to no longer be the smallest P5 conference and to help their fledgling network by adding two states, the Big 10 may decide to add a 15th member in the East (they operated with an odd number of 11 for 20+ years), and then what else could happen? We don't know but I think everything could be in play again soon.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
To me, it more like the "bullet points" in a Power Point presentation than Shakespeare, but it is easier to read.

I don't have a crystal ball on CR (maybe I should get out the Tarot cards) but I think you guys will be OK. The Big 12 is "right now" and I think UConn will make a strong presentation. The decisions on whom to add will be made by the 10 university presidents which is an important point. Also, I do believe the Big 10 is going to "cut loose" again soon. Somewhere I read that Delaney is interested in adding AAU basketball schools so pursuit of AAU status is very important there. All of this stuff is like a "mobile" that has been hit by a wind - the ACC gets a "linear network", the Big 12 then correctly decides it must expand to try to secure itself, if the Big 12 goes to 14 the Pac 12 may decide to add two members to no longer be the smallest P5 conference and to help their fledgling network by adding two states, the Big 10 may decide to add a 15th member in the East (they operated with an odd number of 11 for 20+ years), and then what else could happen? We don't know but I think everything could be in play again soon.
odd numbers are fine under 12... once you have 12+, you need two equal divisions... odd doesn't really work.

Reaction Score
odd numbers are fine under 12... once you have 12+, you need two equal divisions... odd doesn't really work.

It would likely be temporary until they get to 16 - the first superconference.

Reaction Score
Real good insight here.

You realize The American has two New Years 6 bowl wins in the last 3 years and is home to the 2014 NCAA Champions in Bball right? It's unquestionably the best G5 conference today. Now, 1-3 months from now what's left of it may not be salvageable, but if the Big 12 doesn't expand this is far and away the best option for UConn in until a P5 opportunity presents itself.

Just a FYI, but there have only been two New Years 6 Bowls, for the 2014-2015 season and the 2015-2016 season. The winner of the first New Years 6 Bowl from the G5 conference was BSU, representing the Mountain West Conference. Last years New Years 6 Bowl winner was Houston, representing the American Conference.

Reaction Score
Just a FYI, but there have only been two New Years 6 Bowls, for the 2014-2015 season and the 2015-2016 season. The winner of the first New Years 6 Bowl from the G5 conference was BSU, representing the Mountain West Conference. Last years New Years 6 Bowl winner was Houston, representing the American Conference.

The Fiesta Bowl, which was an elevated BCS bowl prior to the NY6 rotation was announced and is still an elevated bowl, was won by UCF in 2014. So in the three years the American has been in existence, they have won 2 NY6 bowls.

Reaction Score
what was UCF?

Reaction Score
The Fiesta Bowl, which was an elevated BCS bowl prior to the NY6 rotation was announced and is still an elevated bowl, was won by UCF in 2014. So in the three years the American has been in existence, they have won 2 NY6 bowls.

Hmm, I guess we are disagreeing on a minor point. I just reread your assertion and I see that we are both correct. Regardless of the name of the bowl, i.e. BCS or College Playoff, the point is that in the three years of the existence of the American Conference, said conference had its champ play in a major bowl and win two out of the three years. I concede the point to you sir. In my mind, when someone says NY6 Bowl, it immediately conjures up the College Playoff Era. I stand corrected. Good day to you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCF Beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl for the 2013 - 2014 college football season. A worthy achievement, no doubt, but my main point is that the 2013 - 2014 season was the last of the BCS season. Like I said, the College Football Playoff era started in the 2014-2015 season.

I get your point, but I think the Fiesta Bowl being part of both the BCS and New Year's 6 allows us to take a little creative license with saying that The American has won 2 of 3 NY6 bowls in it's existence.

Reaction Score
I get your point, but I think the Fiesta Bowl being part of both the BCS and New Year's 6 allows us to take a little creative license with saying that The American has won 2 of 3 NY6 bowls in it's existence.

Please see my above. I concede the point to you.

Reaction Score
what was UCF?

As NYUConn asserted, UCF beat Baylor in the last Fiesta Bowl of the last year of the BCS Era. His overall point was that it was a major bowl win for nascent American Conference, while I was distracted by his liberal use of NY6 Bowl terminology. Since the main logic of his argument is worthy and one I cannot deny, I concede the argument. Whether one uses the terminology of BCS or NY6, both were major bowl wins. I hope this clears up any confusion I may have inadvertently caused you.

Reaction Score
Total Solvency without P5 is impossible with or without football
UConn sponsors many teams especially women's that create zero revenue.
No G5 program can carry the entire budget and it's unfair to expect that.
Even in the G5 there is a good possibility of football becoming a positive in revenue. If we're willing to absorb a $$20 million lose on women's sports why wouldn't we continue in a sport that's revenue neutral .
A successful UConn football team adds many more dollars in donations than appear on the budget.
I suspect this year will see football close the PP years deficits
Temple increased addendence last year by 20% in the AAC.
If UConn duplicated that ,revenue would increase by millions.
Attractive OC scheduling and success in conference could get us there.

UConn women basketball makes plenty of money due to all their NCAA championships. Unfortunately the NCAA takes all that money.

Reaction Score
UConn women basketball makes plenty of money due to all their NCAA championships. Unfortunately the NCAA takes all that money.
You forgot about all the money ESPN makes frond featuring the UConn Women
It has to be huge dollars that the school just gave away

MattMang23

Reaction Score
You forgot about all the money ESPN makes frond featuring the UConn Women
It has to be huge dollars that the school just gave away

You may use the same writing format as William Shakespeare but the VT guy in this thread actually borrowed his dictionary. Wow, I feel like I'm reading a view of American college football as seen through the eyes of a 1750s British expatriate.

Reaction Score
You may use the same writing format as William Shakespeare but the VT guy in this thread actually borrowed his dictionary. Wow, I feel like I'm reading a view of American college football as seen through the eyes of a 1750s British expatriate.

I will accept the praise that I detect in your statement, but I shall also endeavor to use more of the common vernacular so that I may be more easily understood by the members of this site.

By the bye, did you know that the great Bard actually wrote in the common vernacular of his day and that his writing so impressed his audiences and his many admirers that some great thinkers have hypothesized that the English language has dumb it evolution so that our progeny may be able to read and enjoy the works of William Shakespeare? Exciting, is it not?

Reaction Score
I will accept the praise that I detect in your statement, but I shall also endeavor to use more of the common vernacular so that I may be more easily understood by the members of this site.

By the bye, did you know that the great Bard actually wrote in the common vernacular of his day and that his writing so impressed his audiences and his many admirers that some great thinkers have hypothesized that the English language has dumb it evolution so that our progeny may be able to read and enjoy the works of William Shakespeare? Exciting, is it not?

Dude, you should totally write Memphis' letter to the Big12 next time

MattMang23

Reaction Score

Many of us are UConn grads. We can understand you. We are a public Ivy, you know. It's just not often someone doth giveth us fine gentlemen their musings in an olde English format like ye hath bequeathed upon thine audience.

Reaction Score
Honestly Dooley, I love your positivity and what you bring to the CR discussion here, but I don't buy that.

UConn could win 10 games this season and sell out every single one and the comments section of every single realignment article would be filled with the same mouth breathers harping about how garbage UConn Football is and how they don't want it in their conference. This sentiment lintellectually coruptikely reaches the presidents who make this decision too, after all it's hard to miss in the online echo chamber and those very people are the constituents whom they represent.

So, college presidents are now basing their decisions on BS from the ignorant, misinformed, uninformed, or just plain old intellectually corrupt. Then, what's the use? We're never going to beat the "bib-overall alumni?"

That premise makes no sense to me. And, I'm neither young nor naive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom