PK80: Phil Knight Invitational | The Boneyard

PK80: Phil Knight Invitational

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
PK80- Phil Knight Invitational will be a two-tournament men’s college basketball event held in Portland, Oregon honoring Nike Co-Founder Phil Knight for his 80th Birthday and in recognition of his significant contributions to collegiate basketball. Sixteen college teams will participate in what will be the best collection of college basketball teams in one event, at a single site, in the history of the sport.

ESPN and the Rose Quarter will host one of the largest regular season tournaments in college basketball history with games taking place in both the Moda Center and the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The event will consist of two brackets of eight teams, with each bracket limited to one team per conference. Games will be played on Thursday, November 23; Friday, November 24; and Sunday, November 26. Stay tuned for the bracket announcement and game schedules.

Arkansas
Butler
UConn
Duke
Florida
Georgetown
Gonzaga
Michigan State
UNC
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Portland
Portland State
Stanford
Texas

11/23 - 11/26 in Portland next year.

PK80-Phil Knight Invitational

Reaction Score
So sweet, can't wait!!

Gonna be awesome, thanks for the info!!

Reaction Score
That is interesting about Kentucky. I thought they were on the unofficial list that was floating around last year. Can't wait. Been planning on this trip for a couple years.

Reaction Score
That is interesting about Kentucky. I thought they were on the unofficial list that was floating around last year. Can't wait. Been planning on this trip for a couple years.
Cal wants the SEC tournament in November. I wouldn't be surprised if he said no way to this.

Reaction Score
Kentucky and Xavier out.
Arkansas and Portland in.

Surprised to see UK removed from the initial list as well.
I assume Xavier is out due to conference realignment since Butler and Georgetown are in.
Is Kansas not a Nike school?

Reaction Score
Kentucky and Xavier out.
Arkansas and Portland in.

Surprised to see UK removed from the initial list as well.
I assume Xavier is out due to conference realignment since Butler and Georgetown are in.
Is Kansas not a Nike school?
Adidas I belive

Reaction Score
I presume they'll split up Portland and Portland State as the "Chaminade" of each bracket.

Even with that, we're guaranteed 2 and probably 3 solid to excellent games. The major conferences each are bringing 2 of their top 4 teams, or better.

ACC: UNC, Duke
SEC: Florida, Arkansas
B1G: MSU, OSU
B12: Texas, Oklahoma
PAC: Oregon (obligatory), Stanford
NBE: G'Town, Butler
Other G5: UConn, Gonzaga
Locals: Portland, Portland State

The only major omissions are UK and Kansas.

Reaction Score
Now that I live in San Diego I'd normally be so down to go... but why in the world would they have this start Thanksgiving day.... likely won't be able to make this. Shame. My girl and I definitely want excuses to check the city out and that lineup is epic (as should be our roster next year)

Reaction Score
what does this even mean?
The tournament is being held in celebration of the founder of Nike. I imagine that list of schools are contracted with Nike. I also imagine they aren't going to invite Adidas-sponsored schools at a huge Nike tournament. Would be like Cuse playing our pump-up video before their games.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Been on my calendar since it was announced 2+ years ago. Glad it's finally official. Now just to have find out when tickets are available!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Now that I live in San Diego I'd normally be so down to go... but why in the world would they have this start Thanksgiving day.... likely won't be able to make this. Shame. My girl and I definitely want excuses to check the city out and that lineup is epic (as should be our roster next year)

You like tofurkey that much that you are going to miss the best Pre season tournament of all time?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The only major omissions are UK and Kansas

Kentucky is conspicuous by its absence, but unless they've switched recently, KU is not a Nike school and therefore wasn't invited.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
what does this even mean?

It means some of the schools people are saying are missing are Adidas schools (KU) and have not been omitted. They intentionally weren't invited.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
PK80- Phil Knight Invitational will be a two-tournament men’s college basketball event held in Portland, Oregon honoring Nike Co-Founder Phil Knight for his 80th Birthday and in recognition of his significant contributions to collegiate basketball. Sixteen college teams will participate in what will be the best collection of college basketball teams in one event, at a single site, in the history of the sport.

ESPN and the Rose Quarter will host one of the largest regular season tournaments in college basketball history with games taking place in both the Moda Center and the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The event will consist of two brackets of eight teams, with each bracket limited to one team per conference. Games will be played on Thursday, November 23; Friday, November 24; and Sunday, November 26. Stay tuned for the bracket announcement and game schedules.

Arkansas
Butler
UConn
Duke
Florida
Georgetown
Gonzaga
Michigan State
UNC
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Portland
Portland State
Stanford
Texas

11/23 - 11/26 in Portland next year.

PK80-Phil Knight Invitational

In

Reaction Score
Sorry, I'll be at the Under Armour tournament in Baltimore with Maryland, South Florida , BC and Texas Tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom