Pick this year's DREAM TEAM, player by player... | The Boneyard

Pick this year's DREAM TEAM, player by player...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Object: Create a TEAM of five current WCBB players that you feel would be really really tough to beat.

The Rules:
1) Pick 2 backcourt players and 3 frontcourt players.
2) As long as they are considered "bigs," the frontcourt picks don't need to be selected by specific position. Likewise, a team does not necessarily have to have a point guard and a shooting guard, if you so desire.
3) NO school may have more than ONE player on the team (this is a killer and makes picking brutal).
4) Based upon your vast knowledge, these picks should be talented, versatile team players with unique and complementary skill sets. Stats are important, but it's about more than just statistics.
5) Justify the picks.

My Backcourt:
Moriah Jefferson- Makes everyone better, supremely unselfish, runs the show and controls tempo, best and quickest in nation in transition, shutdown defender (hello Jewel, hello Tiff), excellent 3-point shot, fearless driving the hoop, better than 3 to 1 assist/t-o ratio, tough as nails, big game player, last year's NC game M.O.P. :rolleyes: (12 ppg, 3 reb.pg, 191/62 assists/turnover, 100 steals, 59% FG, 50% 3 pointers, 84% FT)

Kelsey Mitchell- Dynamic offense, unlimited 3-point range that stretches/opens the floor for teammates, high volume shooter, young with huge upside, a willing and effective passer, underrated defender, conditioning and right-hand will improve. (25 ppg, 4 reb.pg, 146/142 assist/turnover, 59 steals, 84% FT)

My Frontcourt:
Brianna Turner- The only true center, great interior defender and rebounder, runs floor very well, a top shot blocker and rim protector, freshman will get even stronger and better, very limited range offensively but when develops shot will become two-way nightmare (14 ppg, 8 reb.pg, 25/75 assist/TO, 89 blocks)

Azura Stevens- Great versatility, size and ability to play inside and out, very good ball-handling skills for her length, will get stronger and improve conditioning to achieve unlimited upside, her 120 offensive rebounds best in nation for freshmen, with improved 3 pointer will create many of the problems Stewie posed for opponents (14 ppg, 8 reb.pg, 56/85 assist/TO ratio, 30 blocks)

Aerial Powers- Undersized with great athleticism, underappreciated leaper forces shots but became volume shooter due to weak team, great rebounder and surprisingly good shot blocker and ball-handler, goes aggressively to the basket, excellent mid-range game (22 ppg, 12 reb.pg, 107/154 assist/TO ratio, 37 steals, 69 blocks)

Since only ONE could be picked, to choose between Moriah and Stewie (and omitting Morgan) is absurdly impossible. Like picking my favorite son. But the rule is pick one, so I did, because Moriah is the engine and the heart and soul that makes UConn special, and she makes every one of her teammates better. (You could say Stewie does, too :eek:)

DISCLAIMER: NOBODY OF SOUND MIND COULD POSSIBLY LEAVE STEWIE OFF THIS OR ANY OTHER 'DREAM' TEAM. BUT NEITHER COULD I OMIT MORIAH. THIS WAS INTENDED TO GENERATE A THOUGHTFUL YET INEVITABLY CONTENTIOUS DISCUSSION. [keep the silly hate mail to yourselves, folks ;) ]

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am not going to play your game, though I like the idea of it very much.
But I will say with ease, that I would take our starting five whoever ultimately becomes the fifth starter, over any composite team that anyone will come up with in this exercise!!! And the amazing thing is you could say that about a number of historic Uconn teams as well - 2002 being the first I think and last year being the most recent.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell-Ohio State~she is quite simply the best guard in WCBB, you've put her stats up, so no need for redundancy

Tiffany Mitchell-South Carolina~15.5 ppg, 3.5 apg, and 5.6rpg. She is the best player on the 2nd best team in the country.

Adut Bulgak-Florida State~12.9 ppg, 9.5rpg, 1.5bpg. She is the best defensive post player in America and her offensive game improved as the season progressed.

Breanna Stewart-UConn~everyone on this Message Board knows her stats by heart, She's the best player in America and has been for the past 3 years.

Nina Davis-Baylor~15 ppg, 8.9 rpg, Relentless FC player @ only 5'11" she runs the floor like a guard, has a variety of post moves and missed shots always seems to find her. She's a deluxe scorer, but not a volume shooter. She plays hard all the time.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
images

Reaction Score
UConn would beat any team you could pick going by the rules.

Reaction Score
I must say I love this site a lot more than the Devils den because of topics like these. With that being said

Point guard- Angela Salvadores
Shooting guard- Alexis Jones
Small forward- Stewie
Power forward- Kaylee Johnson
Center-B.Turner

Reaction Score
Tiffany Mitchell South Carolina-G
Diamond Deshields Tennessee-G
Nina Davis Baylor-F
Breanna Stewart Connecticut-F
Brianna Turner Notre Dame-F
A good shooting, rebounding, and 4 of the 5 are good defenders, and the 5th has the ability to defend, a good team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am not going to play your game, though I like the idea of it very much.
But I will say with ease, that I would take our starting five whoever ultimately becomes the fifth starter, over any composite team that anyone will come up with in this exercise!!! And the amazing thing is you could say that about a number of historic Uconn teams as well - 2002 being the first I think and last year being the most recent.

But what if someone picks Stewart or Jefferson for their team ? :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My squad:

PG: Alexis Jones (Baylor)
SG: Tiffany Mitchell (Baby Carolina)
Forwards: Stewart (UCONN) Stevens (Duke)
Center: Turner (ND)

Your rules are invalid. To say that two players can't come from the say team makes this exercise futile.

He made the rules... so how are they invalid ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But what if someone picks Stewart or Jefferson for their team ? :cool:
Then they can be the essence of the player Geno once described as the best defender on the court, at either end! :cool:

Reaction Score
who is that ?

Wasn't that Bria Hartley, after a particularly bad offensive game (which did not prevent her from putting in a superb defensive effort)? Darned if I can remember who the opponent was though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I having a brain drain as to the player - it was a Uconn win with a superb defensive effort by ______, who also was something like 1-10 with 3 TOs on offense.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I must say I love this site a lot more than the Devils den because of topics like these. With that being said

Point guard- Angela Salvadores
Shooting guard- Alexis Jones
Small forward- Stewie
Power forward- Kaylee Johnson
Center-B.Turner

Salvadores has yet to play a College BB game, how can she one of the best? But I guess HR did say Dream Team, I hope she lives up to your expectations.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
DISCLAIMER: NOBODY OF SOUND MIND COULD POSSIBLY LEAVE MORGAN TUCK OFF THIS OR ANY OTHER 'DREAM' TEAM. BUT NEITHER COULD I OMIT MORIAH. THIS WAS INTENDED TO GENERATE A THOUGHTFUL YET INEVITABLY CONTENTIOUS DISCUSSION. [keep the silly hate mail to yourselves, folks ;) ][/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
Salvadores has yet to play a College BB game, how can she one of the best? But I guess HR did say Dream Team, I hope she lives up to your expectations.
For me its all about balance. Just because you put the 5 best individuals on the same team doesn't necessarily equal success. Why did I put salvadores on my squad? Because she's not a typical recruit. She's been playing with and against former college basketball/wnba players all last year, so she should mesh with Stevie, let, n Turner. Kaylee Johnson is the cleanup big. Her focus would be post defense n rebounding. Nice try though, but I'm a basketball fan THEN a Duke fan.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
For me its all about balance. Just because you put the 5 best individuals on the same team doesn't necessarily equal success. Why did I put salvadores on my squad? Because she's not a typical recruit. She's been playing with and against former college basketball/wnba players all last year, so she should mesh with Stevie, let, n Turner. Kaylee Johnson is the cleanup big. Her focus would be post defense n rebounding. Nice try though, but I'm a basketball fan THEN a Duke fan.

Salvadores doesn't have any more experience internationally than Kia Nurse had when she came to UConn last year. Nurse played on the Canadian National Senior Team and she still had a significant period of adjustment, as did Leticia Romero her first year at KState. I watched her play in the FIBA Worlds and I wasn't impressed with her D post or otherwise, but that's just my opinion. We shall see though.

Reaction Score
Salvadores doesn't have any more experience internationally than Kia Nurse had when she came to UConn last year. Nurse played on the Canadian National Senior Team and she still had a significant period of adjustment, as did Leticia Romero her first year at KState. I watched her play in the FIBA Worlds and I wasn't impressed with her D post or otherwise, but that's just my opinion. We shall see though.
Dude that's fine. I made a dream team that had one international guard and people act as if I'm saying salvadores is god or something. My team is balanced simple as that.

Reaction Score
DISCLAIMER: NOBODY OF SOUND MIND COULD POSSIBLY LEAVE MORGAN TUCK OFF THIS OR ANY OTHER 'DREAM' TEAM. BUT NEITHER COULD I OMIT MORIAH. THIS WAS INTENDED TO GENERATE A THOUGHTFUL YET INEVITABLY CONTENTIOUS DISCUSSION. [keep the silly hate mail to yourselves, folks ;) ]
[/QUOTE]
I will state this again with the expectation that many Boneyarders will disagree... "Morgan Tuck will be the second best player on UCONN this season and possibly the second best in WBB."

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actually, Tony, I think she will be the third-best player on UConn AND probably in the country. Gonna be tough going around Stewie and MoJet!

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if you are talking about Kaylee Johnson from Stanford?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Meh

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I guess this is the absurdity of Fan Message Boards, arguing with Duke fans on a UConn Board about an imaginary team and player who has yet to play a College BB Game.

Reaction Score
I understand the premise of this topic, but deep down I cannot dream of ANY starting 5 as dream worthy than our UCONN 5-
Stewart, SF/Nurse, SG/Tuck, PF/MoJeff, PG/Butler, C! That can get the typical Husky fanatic drooling! I honestly can't think of ANY other 5 players that can hold a candle to each of them! Even in fantasy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom