Phoenix beating up on LA early | The Boneyard

Phoenix beating up on LA early

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
you know I don't care who it is even Magic Johnson you do not conduct an interview of that length during the course of a game forcing the viewers to try to keep track of a very fast paced game on a portion of the screen.. They do this all the time in the WNBA and I just don't freaking understand it and this is a playoff game!!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Okay that was fun - Brittney Griner with the steal, running the break, and slamming it down on La's Court... Two handed dunk swinging from the basket I got to tell you that was sweet!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
So strange how L.A. consistently lays an egg at home yet plays inspired ball on the road.

Down 30 pts at home early in the 4th.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What a humiliating loss for LA. A 25-point loss on its home court, Taurasi knocks Nneka on her a__, and Griner drives the length of the court and slams one down with two hands.

Last edited:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
What a humiliating loss for LA. A 25-point loss on its home court, Taurasi knocks Nneka on her a__, and Griner drives the length of the court and slams one down with two hands.

If you think about it it's kind of sweet for Diana... after all I heard a rumor that Parker dunked on UConn's court - certainly not as decisively

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If you think about it it's kind of sweet for Diana... after all I heard a rumor that Parker dunked on UConn's court - certainly not as decisively

That rumor is true, though Parker's dunk was more of a dink and not nearly as decisive as Griner's. Diana was not playing for UConn at the time which was probably a good thing for Parker as Taurasi would have knocked her on her a__ like she did Nneka tonight. I think Maya might have actually returned the favor on the Tennessee home court but for the decision to . . . oh never mind.

Reaction Score
Griner 21 points in 19 minutes, playoff record 9 for 9 from the field, also 100% from FT line

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Batman & Robin leads Phx to the conference finals over the Spark... her "antics" worked, maybe next year LA. Magic Johnson got some cleaning up to do.

Pam Ward called it how she saw it, her necklace was nice too! Where is Doris Burke?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If the Sun aren't going to use Renee effectively, then I'd like to see them trade her to the Sparks. Sparks needs guards and Renee would help them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That rumor is true, though Parker's dunk was more of a dink and not nearly as decisive as Griner's. Diana was not playing for UConn at the time which was probably a good thing for Parker as Taurasi would have knocked her on her a__ like she did Nneka tonight. I think Maya might have actually returned the favor on the Tennessee home court but for the decision to . . . oh never mind.
She was being facetious.

Reaction Score
you know I don't care who it is even Magic Johnson you do not conduct an interview of that length during the course of a game forcing the viewers to try to keep track of a very fast paced game on a portion of the screen.. They do this all the time in the WNBA and I just don't freaking understand it and this is a playoff game!!
My all time complaint but they won't do it at halftime or time outs because they would lose advertising.

Reaction Score
If the Sun aren't going to use Renee effectively, then I'd like to see them trade her to the Sparks. Sparks needs guards and Renee would help them.
A trade if she's still under contract. The Sparks would be an excellent destination for her.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Okay that was fun - Brittney Griner with the steal, running the break, and slamming it down on La's Court... Two handed dunk swinging from the basket I got to tell you that was sweet!

Diana laid Nneka out. I was completely surprised that it was downgraded to a common foul.

Reaction Score
Diana laid Nneka out. I was completely surprised that it was downgraded to a common foul.
I wasn't...Neka was coming right at her and Diana had two choices...take the impact and wind up in the cheap seats or just fend her off hard...I doubt Diana has ever hesitated about that decision in her life...and I was a little surprised at Neka for trying that on someone like Diana...she seemed awfully surprised when she was getting picked up off the floor...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wasn't...Neka was coming right at her and Diana had two choices...take the impact and wind up in the cheap seats or just fend her off hard...I doubt Diana has ever hesitated about that decision in her life...and I was a little surprised at Neka for trying that on someone like Diana...she seemed awfully surprised when she was getting picked up off the floor...

May have been my favorite play of the game.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
;-)

a dink...I like that

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
phil sampieri said:
My all time complaint but they won't do it at halftime or time outs because they would lose advertising.

Forgive me (not directed at you) but I don't give a rats tush! it is disrespectful to the players.

They are trying to bring attention to the women's game, but they're compromising the women's game by conducting these interviews during the women's game!

You know these in game announcers talk about everything from tea parties to frilly hats, oh and every now and then they mention the game... do you think maybe they could promote the interview with magic you know during free throws for example, so that no one has any doubt that during half time there's going to be an interview with magic????

clearly I'm not over this, so technically the rant from last night wasn't over....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Since they replayed it several times, I noticed a couple of things: (a) Nneka was moving, so the correct call probably should have been a double foul, on Nneka for a moving screen and on Diana for the aggressive contact; and (b) Diana didn't actually contact Nneka with her elbow (at least not her right elbow -- couldn't see the other one), but with her forearm crossed against her chest. On that basis, I think it was right to change it to a common foul, but in real time the call made was certainly understandable, and it took the referees' attention away from Nneka's movement.

I know it isn't Diana's style, but the correct basketball play for her team was to allow herself to be pushed backward onto her ... (self-edit), and probably draw the moving screen call. In other words, to flop.

Reaction Score
Since they replayed it several times, I noticed a couple of things: (a) Nneka was moving, so the correct call probably should have been a double foul, on Nneka for a moving screen and on Diana for the aggressive contact; and (b) Diana didn't actually contact Nneka with her elbow (at least not her right elbow -- couldn't see the other one), but with her forearm crossed against her chest. On that basis, I think it was right to change it to a common foul, but in real time the call made was certainly understandable, and it took the referees' attention away from Nneka's movement.

I know it isn't Diana's style, but the correct basketball play for her team was to allow herself to be pushed backward onto her ... (self-edit), and probably draw the moving screen call. In other words, to flop.
And Nneka was moving straight at Diana...not to one side...so she was forcing the impact...

I agree with you up until the last sentence...the correct play when someone the size of Nneka tries to send the message of intimidation is just what Diana did...and she didn't lose her temper, and compound the issue, and I thought that was just the right thing to do against a team that had been told to be very physical...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And Nneka was moving straight at Diana...not to one side...so she was forcing the impact...

I agree with you up until the last sentence...the correct play when someone the size of Nneka tries to send the message of intimidation is just what Diana did...and she didn't lose her temper, and compound the issue, and I thought that was just the right thing to do against a team that had been told to be very physical...

That's how I saw it. Nneka wasn't trying to set a legal screen as she was moving right towards Diana with the intention of making contact. Nneka's arms/elbows were up anticipating the contact. Diana decided she wasn't going to get the worst of the contact and she didn't; the extra oomph earned her the foul. The Sparks' strategy is always to be really physical with Diana and she saw that one coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom