PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer) | Page 30 | The Boneyard

PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that Waters grew up a UConn fan as well, but puts a high weight on academics and was intrigued by schools like Stamford and Yale... and then the Duke offer came, complicating his decision further. Yet throughout all this, he realized his biggest priority is going somewhere where he will be "the guy" (at the PG position), and Indiana seems to be the best fit for that. UConn cannot guarantee he will come in and play big minutes his freshman year.

It looks like our getting Alterique may be affecting prioritizing MAL over Waters. It would be difficult to play them together in at least many situations. They would be significantly shorter than the Bazz/Boat duo. At the same time, I would love to see KO sign Waters in any case if he wanted to come to UConn. We will be in excellent shape if we get MAL, which seems more likely than getting Waters in any case.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Why does the choice of high school matter?

Learning. It still matters to some people. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Not sure if Waters is a big UConn fan. The relationship between New Haven ball and UConn isn't the best.
That is why I want Waters.

It's not going to be the high school that figures deeply in these decisions. The people at the high school love UConn, but they've also sent a few of their football players elsewhere over the last decade or so (i.e. a few kids to the B1G, even Rutgers, etc.). I don't think in the end that the HS will have influence pro or con.

Reaction Score
Not sure if Waters is a big UConn fan. The relationship between New Haven ball and UConn isn't the best.
That is why I want Waters.
Not saying this is you at all, just a general point. But I hope that all of the people who are firmly on one side of the MAL/Waters debate will actually appreciate the guy we get and move on.

While it's all in good fun to point in weaknesses in one guy compared to another, I'm hoping we don't have 4 years of complaining about how we got the wrong guy

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not saying this is you at all, just a general point. But I hope that all of the people who are firmly on one side of the MAL/Waters debate will actually appreciate the guy we get and move on.

While it's all in good fun to point in weaknesses in one guy compared to another, I'm hoping we don't have 4 years of complaining about how we got the wrong guy

I agree! And I admire your confidence that we will definitely get one of them!

Reaction Score
NDWH had a solid big mangano go to Yale a few years back but other than that I can't think of any solid players to come out of there. It is a decent academic school but there are better ones around seems odd but being in West haven maybe I can check out a game now.

Reaction Score
NDWH had a solid big mangano go to Yale a few years back but other than that I can't think of any solid players to come out of there. It is a decent academic school but there are better ones around seems odd but being in West haven maybe I can check out a game now.

During my time there, they had the Bullocks. One went to Manhattan and the other went to Northeastern. Before that, you probably had to go all the way back to the 1960s, with a few players that went the SEC.

Reaction Score
During my time there, they had the Bullocks. One went to Manhattan and the other went to Northeastern. Before that, you probably had to go all the way back to the 1960s, with a few players that went the SEC.

Earl and Anthony Moye are 2 of the only one's who I can remember in the 80's...

Reaction Score
Earl and Anthony Moye are 2 of the only one's who I can remember in the 80's...

They were Wilbur Cross though. We're talking NDWH.

A lot of other New Haven kids have done well in college. Tharon Mayes, for instance, at Florida State, and he's Xavier Ratahn-Mayes' dad, but Sly Williams and John Williamson are probably 2 of the best known.

EDIT: And Scotty Burrell of course!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A lot of other New Haven kids have done well in college. Tharon Mayes, for instance, at Florida State, and he's Xavier Ratahn-Mayes' dad, but Sly Williams and John Williamson are probably 2 of the best known.

Thought it was just New Haven my bad. I certainly remember the Soup, Super John, Jiggy, Sly etc etc etc days, New Haven was a factory. Now I see the Bullocks and ND-WH makes sense. Thx

Reaction Score

? Burrell went to Hamden.

Reaction Score
NDWH had a solid big mangano go to Yale a few years back but other than that I can't think of any solid players to come out of there.
Frank Maturo (G) also came out of ND in the late 70's, went to Yale and was All Ivy as a Soph/Junior. Knee injury senior year impacted future career.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
According to Scout, Waters has set up three official visits to Georgetown, Kansas, and Indiana next month.

Reaction Score
According to Scout, Waters has set up three official visits to Georgetown, Kansas, and Indiana next month.
Recruiting Roundup: Tremont Waters, Jose Alvarado, Isaiah Washington, Scottie Lewis & Bryan Antoine

"The dates we're not going to announce right now for several reasons, but he is going to make official visits to Georgetown, Kansas and Indiana," Ed Waters told Peegs.com.

"Those three are schools we are definitely going to be visiting then we have to figure out the last two based on the relationships."

Reaction Score
Close, but I'd personally prefer MAL, Bamba, and Diallo even if that is a pipe dream.

To me, I'd rather take the player who grew up watching UConn and who considers himself a true fan of the program over the kid who has repeatedly made it clear that he's waiting for something bigger.
Whats bigger than UCONN. All together the men and woman teams have the most CHIPS. Basketball CAP. BABY!!!!
If tremont wants to go elsewhere thats his lost to be the next big thing coming out of his own state

Reaction Score
Because it's a better school. And he'll learn more there. That's how education works.
If you were to go back and read, you'd know that I initially responded to a post opining that Waters made the desicion to transfer "with the fiture in mind" or some such. The point I was making is that if I am already being offered a free ride to a school like Duke or Stanford, I don't see the point in transferring high schools for one single year, even if the new high school is better. You're academically set for life when you are being offered degrees from universities like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom