PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer) | Page 21 | The Boneyard

PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not just us; Waters has been slowly falling in the rankings as he's gotten older, possibly because his lack of size is becoming more of an issue. I think he's going to be a good college player, but Duke is in a place these days where they can get 5-star recruits most of the time, and that's not Waters.
He's done extremely well against any and all competition. Howard Garfinkle called him the best point guard in the class, he is ranked too low.

Reaction Score
Which is a drop, not to mention that he's lower almost everywhere else. His composite is down to 44. Again, he's a good player, and I'd take him if he were on the table, but I don't think he's the type of guy who is guaranteed to be a starter regardless of where he goes.

When was he ranked higher by ESPN? And, again, down to 44 is something we'd be beating off about if he showed serious interest in UConn. We've talked about kids outside the top 200 like they're lottery picks. I just think this kid's a stud and he's going to play wherever he goes.

Reaction Score
When was he ranked higher by ESPN? And, again, down to 44 is something we'd be beating off about if he showed serious interest in UConn. We've talked about kids outside the top 200 like they're lottery picks. I just think this kid's a stud and he's going to play wherever he goes.

I'm not sure what we're arguing about here. Waters is a very good prospect, and if we could sign him tomorrow, I'd do it and be thrilled. I don't think Coach K is going to feel the same way, because he's going to be pursuing Trevon Duval and Troy Brown, both of whom are much better prospects. If he can't get either of them, he'll probably end up with Trae Young, who is also a better prospect than Waters.

If Waters tells Coach K that he wants to go to Duke and is willing to take a bench role, then he'll go there, and he'll get minutes, but it's not unreasonable to think that he never starts there. I don't think Waters wants Duke quite that badly, because there are plenty of good programs he could play for and get major minutes. One would be UConn, where he'd possibly be starting by his sophomore year (assuming Gilbert is the starter in 17-18).

As to my original comment, I was only pointing out that Waters' stock has been dropping nationally. I mis-remembered about ESPN, he wasn't on their top-25, so this is the first time they've ranked him, but he was 247's composite #24 player a few months ago, and now he's at 44. That's a significant tumble. I understand your side on this, because people on this board tend to come out of the wordwork to trash players as soon as it looks like we won't be getting them, but I'm not sure that's the issue, or at least the entire issue, in this case.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Waters is ranked 36th in his class on ESPN. Four star players do go to Duke. I have no idea where he'll end up but he wouldn't be a tenth man at Duke.
I think he would be for his first two years, for sure. Look at the recruits they're getting and the guys they're returning.

And obviously this is not meant to denigrate the kid. I hope like hell we land him and he's the next in our long line of great point guards.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what we're arguing about here. Waters is a very good prospect, and if we could sign him tomorrow, I'd do it and be thrilled. I don't think Coach K is going to feel the same way, because he's going to be pursuing Trevon Duval and Troy Brown, both of whom are much better prospects. If he can't get either of them, he'll probably end up with Trae Young, who is also a better prospect than Waters.

If Waters tells Coach K that he wants to go to Duke and is willing to take a bench role, then he'll go there, and he'll get minutes, but it's not unreasonable to think that he never starts there. I don't think Waters wants Duke quite that badly, because there are plenty of good programs he could play for and get major minutes. One would be UConn, where he'd possibly be starting by his sophomore year (assuming Gilbert is the starter in 17-18).

As to my original comment, I was only pointing out that Waters' stock has been dropping nationally. I mis-remembered about ESPN, he wasn't on their top-25, so this is the first time they've ranked him, but he was 247's composite #24 player a few months ago, and now he's at 44. That's a significant tumble. I understand your side on this, because people on this board tend to come out of the wordwork to trash players as soon as it looks like we won't be getting them, but I'm not sure that's the issue, or at least the entire issue, in this case.
Duke is his dream school.

Reaction Score
Which is a drop, not to mention that he's lower almost everywhere else. His composite is down to 44. Again, he's a good player, and I'd take him if he were on the table, but I don't think he's the type of guy who is guaranteed to be a starter regardless of where he goes.

Exactly. Duke hasn't recruited a guard outside of the consensus top 40 in at least 5 recruiting cycles. Their recruiting is so ridiculously good at this point that I doubt they miss on a guy like Duval, although the PG class in 2017 seems kind of week at the top so maybe they need a fallback option.

Reaction Score
I'm aware that it's true, I just don't know what the hell it has to do with my post.
You don't think Waters wants Duke that badly because he sees himself as only a bench player there. I think he wants to play for his dream school and he's not the type to be scared off by any competition and he can go toe to toe with any point guards in the land, if Duke offers he will go there. I get it, you're strictly a rankings guy and since Waters ranking dropped you devalue him.

Reaction Score
Next. We will have better options this is not a big deal and no one should be concerned.

Guys like him and Gabriel from the area with their Duke love fest? :rolleyes:

Next really next!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The only thing about Tremont is that he could help repair UConn's relationship with New Haven. I know NH is not producing players like it once did. But it seems to me there is/was some lack of love for our State U there.
We need someone that is talented and wants to be a Husky, but if those things are equal, I want Tremont.

Reaction Score
The only thing about Tremont is that he could help repair UConn's relationship with New Haven. I know NH is not producing players like it once did. But it seems to me there is/was some lack of love for our State U there.
We need someone that is talented and wants to be a Husky, but if those things are equal, I want Tremont.

Funny about New Haven, my son played against Gateway CC the other night and they had no one over 6'1 on that team. And that was one kid the others were all under 6' I swear (and you guys know I know heights lol). When I played CC in the 70's their NHCC team (forget the name South ???) had 3-4 guys who were 6'5 or better. I hope all the big kids are good students and get schoolies to go elsewhere because it's crazy to think they have no big kids in a huge city like that.

Reaction Score
South Central Community College?

BINGO thanks David it was killing me. Was going to run downstairs and grab the scrapbook mom and dad made, and I have no idea where that is LOL

Reaction Score
Crystal ball for Waters trending towards UVA. This doesn't mean much, but I think Tony Bennett could make him a hell of a player. Waters is going to be good on offense, but if Bennett can teach him to defend, it'll make him that much better.

Reaction Score
Dawkins is an awful, awful coach. I'm bummed he's leaving Stanford.
This sounds like you want him to stay so Stanford can continue to suck. What's your beef with Stanford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom