PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I read your post twice and still I have no clue what you said - As for Jerome even he now acknowledges I was right about his approach to the game in college. True, he often played very hard but the lack of focus and effort related to game prep.
We all have biases. Our opinions are subjective. For instance I felt JD was over focused and that reduced his ability for having decent peripheral vision. Others felt he was selfish. Who is correct on this? Obviously people observe things differently. Sometime people observe things similarly but have different conclusions.

I'm not sure how someone who played very hard can be accused of having a lack of effort. I think you meant his lack of preparation reduced his ability to play better. I have no clue about his preparation and you might be correct but I remember you're arguments and how you ran with a statement JC made, how you indicated it was proof of your claim of JD's lack of effort. That statement was one line and in retrospect was no different than Durham's tweet about "having a great visit but he was really glad to be home". Language is imperfect (JC is very hard to understand at the best of times) and we often read too much or too little into statements.

I would have given you a pass on your opinion, as I frequently do with most of the people posting, except it was incessant and too many people (by my personal view of justice) fell sway to your presentations. I have a personal bias against people who have a canny ability to manipulate the masses, for whatever purpose. I don't take a contrarian opinion just to be contrarian. I feel humanity is far too often guided by emotional irrational feelings that are frequently damaging to others and/or themselves. There are people who are gifted at presenting rational sounding statements that are disguised from their emotionally negative intent. (I certainly am not above these weaknesses as I have confessed in the past so I'm not coming from a place of superiority.) And although I believe there are individuals who, from birth to their death, refrain from succumbing to their base emotional needs (lower self for @3for3 ) those individuals are extremely rare. Most of us move back and forth between the rational higher thinking (higher self for @3for3 ) and those base emotions.

My take is the Boneyard men's bb forum is a community of people with one common denominator - UConn men's basketball. From there we have a multitude of preferences how to approach this community or how this community should behave with most of us accommodating most of us most of the time. But some of us, on occasion, are determined to insist the community bend towards a particular set of behaviors which they prefer. My attitude towards differing opinions has always been on the extremely tolerant level with two exceptions. One I have elaborated in this far too long post. When this personal bias gets triggered based on how I choose to process events I feel the need to question the motives of people and become a voice of obstruction.

Reaction Score
Chief's breakdowns remind me of Whoopi Goldberg's coaching in the movie "Eddie" where she coached the Knicks. She'd call a timeout and dispense nuggets of wisdom like "pass the ball to the open man."

C

Chief00

Chief's breakdowns remind me of Whoopi Goldberg's coaching in the movie "Eddie" where she coached the Knicks. She'd call a timeout and dispense nuggets of wisdom like "pass the ball to the open man."

My experience is that the really great coaches simplify the game and don't over complicate it. The Red Sox have gone really crazy on data mining the last couple years and the results are apparent.
On the other hand, Arnold Auerbach,quite frankly, never ran more than 1/2 dozen plays - but each had options that players instinctive read off what the defense gave them. Both Arnold and Calhoun were great motivators - Arnold used to say when he got kick out of a game the players so often then turned it on and won - not to win one for the coach - but to show they could win without him. Yes, human nature is simple.
Coach Ollie told me that the most important thing he learned from Calhoun was a will to win. Someone who knew both Geno and Calhoun told me Geno loves smart and Calhoun loves tough. Calhoun was very smart himself but knew he could often will a team that he conditioned and formulated to victory - I could go on but that's enough for now.

Reaction Score
My experience is that the really great coaches simplify the game and don't over complicate it. The Red Sox have gone really crazy on data mining the last couple years and the results are apparent.
On the other hand, Arnold Auerbach,quite frankly, never ran more than 1/2 dozen plays - but each had options that players instinctive read off what the defense gave them. Both Arnold and Calhoun were great motivators - Arnold used to say when he got kick out of a game the players so often then turned it on and won - not to win one for the coach - but to show they could win without him. Yes, human nature is simple.
Coach Ollie told me that the most important thing he learned from Calhoun was a will to win. Someone who knew both Geno and Calhoun told me Geno loves smart and Calhoun loves tough. Calhoun was very smart himself but knew he could often will a team that he conditioned and formulated to victory - I could go on but that's enough for now.

Arnold had a brother named Red. He was kinda a big deal. You should read up on him.

Reaction Score
I think the only serious breakdown I read from Chief might have been about DHAM. And, it was so spot on that, as you're reading it, you find yourself thinking I know this, this, and this, but - I've never come out and said it. As you read, bits and pieces become so apparent to those watching the games as best they can, but, the fact is - they're not apparent to the understudies like myself. Whenever I see that chief puts up a piece, I read it, and don't complain.

Reaction Score
I think the only serious breakdown I read from Chief might have been about DHAM. And, it was so spot on that, as you're reading it, you find yourself thinking I know this, this, and this, but - I've never come out and said it. As you read, bits and pieces become so apparent to those watching the games as best they can, but, the fact is - they're not apparent to the understudies like myself. Whenever I see that chief puts up a piece, I read it, and don't complain.
I like anyone who likes to talk about my Huskies

C

Chief00

Arnold had a brother named Red. He was kinda a big deal. You should read up on him.

Same guy - I think Cousy was the only one who did not call him by his nickname and I was amused by that.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Whispers about him reclassing into 2016 (his original class, like Diallo). Anybody hearing anything?

Reaction Score
As far as, Chief's analysis is concerned, I'm looking forward to it. Some of you have longer memories and hold onto things longer than Mrs. DogMania who sadly never embraced my UConn fandom among other things and is parting ways, but that's a whole other story.

A lot of what we post here is subjective and up for debate. There are a lot who frequent the this board who are afraid to share their observations because all the personal attacks they see here. Now I know some are just having some fun with Chief and he takes it like a champ, though dishes it right back at times. But these threads run right off the tracks when this happens. I don't even remember what this one was all about.

Reaction Score
Whispers about him reclassing into 2016 (his original class, like Diallo). Anybody hearing anything?
Gotta think that would be bad for us we have a blue chip pg in 2015 and 2016 doubt another one would want to come on board given that scenario, obviously I hope Im wrong

Reaction Score
Gotta think that would be bad for us we have a blue chip pg in 2015 and 2016 doubt another one would want to come on board given that scenario, obviously I hope Im wrong
You're probably right. I could see a true 2-guard maybe wanting to come here, but a combo with aspirations to play the point would likely see our backcourt extremely crowded.

Reaction Score
As far as, Chief's analysis is concerned, I'm looking forward to it. Some of you have longer memories and hold onto things longer than Mrs. DogMania who sadly never embraced my UConn fandom among other things and is parting ways, but that's a whole other story.

A lot of what we post here is subjective and up for debate. There are a lot who frequent the this board who are afraid to share their observations because all the personal attacks they see here. Now I know some are just having some fun with Chief and he takes it like a champ, though dishes it right back at times. But these threads run right off the tracks when this happens. I don't even remember what this one was all about.

Sorry to here this Dog. As I don't personally know you. You are one of the yarders whom I most want to meet one day.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score

Wishing you the best Dog. Hope you're well. Mike-

Reaction Score

Sorry man. Never easy.. Good luck

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not easy Dog. Best of luck.

Reaction Score

Sorry to hear that Stu. You're a good guy, hope everything works out ok for you.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words everyone. Never thought something like this would happen, but it's for the best. Look on the bright side, I'm planning to go to the Maui classic next year with a buddy of mine, something that probably would never have happened if things didn't change.

Hopefully someday I'll find someone who enjoys UConn hoops as much as I do, or least doesn't resent it, along with other things that I'd hope to have in common with that person.

I'm doing okay, considering the current situation. My kids are adults now, and are doing very well and are very supportive. I have lots of friends and family that are very supportive as well. And of course, I have the boneyard as a source of entertainment, encouragement, community and often a lot of laughs.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words everyone. Never thought something like this would happen, but it's for the best. Look on the bright side, I'm planning to go to the Maui classic next year with a buddy of mine, something that probably would never have happened if things didn't change.

Hopefully someday I'll find someone who enjoys UConn hoops as much as I do, or least doesn't resent it, along with other things that I'd hope to have in common with that person.

I'm doing okay, considering the current situation. My kids are adults now, and are doing very well and are very supportive. I have lots of friends and family that are very supportive as well. And of course, I have the boneyard as a source of entertainment, encouragement, community and often a lot of laughs.
That's too bad but it sounds like it's for the best, nobody should ever resent their significant others passions. Good luck to you!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
on the bright side, I'm planning to go to the Maui classic next year with a buddy of mine, something that probably would never have happened if things didn't change.

Maui Classic is the absolute best Uconn trip I've ever done. (X3) I'll be there again next year and will buy you a drink and introduce you to some nice island girls.

Reaction Score
Maui Classic is the absolute best Uconn trip I've ever done. (X3) I'll be there again next year and will buy you a drink and introduce you to some nice island girls.
LOL. Thanks, CA. I'll take the drink, but I'm not so sure about the Island girls. Awfully tempting, but...let me leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom