Payton goes where Mora wouldn't... | The Boneyard

Payton goes where Mora wouldn't...

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's surprising in today's environment that a new head coach rips the last head coach. Sean Payton did just that and then some. I wonder how Denver fans feel about this?

Anyway...I am glad Mora took the high road. He seems to have gone out of his way to resist cheap shots at Edsall. Of course you can read between the lines in his comments...but he didn't say stuff like "the last coach did one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL"...lol.

I know it's all about winning...but it's nice to win and have a coach with some class.

Reaction Score
It's surprising in today's environment that a new head coach rips the last head coach. Sean Payton did just that and then some. I wonder how Denver fans feel about this?

Anyway...I am glad Mora took the high road. He seems to have gone out of his way to resist cheap shots at Edsall. Of course you can read between the lines in his comments...but he didn't say stuff like "the last coach did one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL"...lol.

I know it's all about winning...but it's nice to win and have a coach with some class.

He spent a year out of coaching for being an AH.

Reaction Score

As a Denver fan, I don't really like it. The broncos host the Jets in week 5, and I don't see any reason why he should be supplying them will bulletin board material.

That being said, Sean is right. The coaching last season was objectively horrific. Delay of game penalties caused by the coaching staff's inability to get plays onto the field, had the home crowd trying to help by counting down the play clock out loud. Hackett took over a team that had won 7 games in 2021 with Teddy Bridgewater (IMO a very good backup QB) as the #1 QB and starting only 14 games, replaced him with Russell Wilson (an MVP canidate in 2021 before injury), and managed just 4 wins through 15 games, before being let go. I don't want to jinx anything, but its hard to imagine the Broncos being as bad or worse than last year.

Reaction Score
The Jets are trying to win the off-season? Trading for Aaron Rodgers (as a Packers fan, ARod was great in the regular season, but he was ok in the playoffs) is winning the off-season? Aaron has injury concerns so I hope Aaron will do fine. I'm ready to see how Jordan Love will do for the Pack

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Refreshing to see a coach go where others will not tread. Denver did suck last year and they shouldn't have.

However, I don't think SP will start a trend.
Refreshing? Well...I guess that's one perspective. So if Mora trashed Edsall you would find that "refreshing"?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The Jets are trying to win the off-season? Trading for Aaron Rodgers (as a Packers fan, ARod was great in the regular season, but he was ok in the playoffs) is winning the off-season? Aaron has injury concerns so I hope Aaron will do fine. I'm ready to see how Jordan Love will do for the Pack
I agree... Rodgers isn't a lock to get them in tue playoffs. But...he is right that Rodgers has got them in the headlines.

Reaction Score
As a long term play, ripping the former coach doesn't help you. Because even if you're right but you don't succeed, you just look like an idiot.
agreed - regardless of how true it is, the upside vs. downside is not worth it. also, class matters in a small world - coaching is a tiny community and everyone remembers (or has the ability to pull up old audio/video of) what you said "back in the day".

Reaction Score
That’s because Mora has class , Peyton is just inviting a good ole fashioned ass kicking.
This will be the first time I will root for the Jets. SP is dwelling on the past which is wasted breath when trying to go forward. He fumbled a half dozen times in this presser. Mora is looking ahead not back wasting time beating a dead horse.

Reaction Score
Refreshing? Well...I guess that's one perspective. So if Mora trashed Edsall you would find that "refreshing"?

If every coach started trashing other coaches, it would not be refreshing, it would the standard. It's refreshing because it's unusual. It is also refreshing because he was telling the truth in a world where football coaches live by coach speak.

I wouldn't be against Mora trashing Edsall, lord knows Edsall is a low class hypocrite who deserves it. Wouldn't find it "refreshing," interesting perhaps. I'm also fine with Mora leaving it alone. Either way, that's up to Mora.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mora did drop the nugget that Edsall spent the lockdown golfing, 1,000 miles away from his team. That was sufficient.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
If every coach started trashing other coaches, it would not be refreshing, it would the standard. It's refreshing because it's unusual. It is also refreshing because he was telling the truth in a world where football coaches live by coach speak.

I wouldn't be against Mora trashing Edsall, lord knows Edsall is a low class hypocrite who deserves it. Wouldn't find it "refreshing," interesting perhaps. I'm also fine with Mora leaving it alone. Either way, that's up to Mora.
There is a reason other coaches don’t do this. Doing something that other people won’t do, doesn’t make it “refreshing”.

adjective
  1. serving to refresh or reinvigorate someone.
    "a refreshing drink"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The 2018 Red Sox were able to hang everything bad that happened in the previous 2 years on the outgoing coach. The entire team, including the clubhouse lawyers, got a fresh start and went on to win the World Series.

Reaction Score
I've never heard much about a new HC ripping the previous HC at the collegiate level
Hurley has done it but he's subtle enough to not name Ollie directly.

Reaction Score
There is a reason other coaches don’t do this. Doing something that other people won’t do, doesn’t make it “refreshing”.

adjective
  1. serving to refresh or reinvigorate someone.
    "a refreshing drink"

Sometimes you have to go past the first definition.

: agreeably stimulating because of freshness or newness
a refreshing change of pace

So Merriam Webster would approve of my word choice.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Sometimes you have to go past the first definition.

: agreeably stimulating because of freshness or newness
a refreshing change of pace

So Merriam Webster would approve of my word choice.
Definitions aside...I still don't agree it was refreshing.

Reaction Score
While I agree with you somewhat it is simply called taking the high road. While I will never forget how Randy handled the transition to D1 football and the travesty of Jasper Howard, he then proceeded to take the low road twice.
He should have not been given the opportunity.
Other than leaving the cupboard bare, bashing the former coach serves absolutely no purpose other than making one sound like a pompous . Sean succeeded in doing so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom