Paxton Lynch and the Wonderlic | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paxton Lynch and the Wonderlic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I qualified based on my LSAT score, but who the hell would join Mensa? Lame.

I think Wonderlic is used to identify risky players, nothing more.
Risky because they don't have the motivation to learn.

Reaction Score
Looks like that 18 score still managed to get him an endorsement deal with Nike.

The Wonderlic isn't fair for those who never were in a reasonable educational environment, will say that much. I know the SEC has reasonable educational environements in classrooms. So does Memphis. I think.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Since teams that make a selection in the supplemental draft have to forfeit the corresponding pick in the next draft it is essentially the same thing. In this case the Raiders selected Pyror in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft of 2011 and had to relinquish the 3rd round choice in the 2012 draft.

Given the fact that teams are not required to select players in the supplemental draft essentially makes it very different. Eligibility for the supplemental draft indicates something went awry (normally legal and/or academic), with the player, affecting eligibility for the regular draft.

Regardless, Pryor was not projecting to be an ideal pro QB. Among character issues, there were question on his accuracy, his ability to read defenses, and according to most mock drafts that year (had he declared), he was not projected to be a high draft pick to begin with. Even then, there was talk of a position conversion.

The fact of the matter is that Pryor's Wonderlic score was a pretty good predictor of what kind of player he projected to be and while he was drafted as a QB, he was traded or released 3 times before he actually did convert to receiver.

Reaction Score
Wentz scored 29. Goff scored 36. DeForest Buckner got a 9.

2016 NFL Combine Results - Historical NFL Scouting Combine Data

I guess it's funny that there are two or three scores being reported for some these guys:
2016 NFL Draft: What was Carson Wentz's Wonderlic score?

>>Carson Wentz, the North Dakota State quarterback and projected No. 2 overall pick in the NFL Draft to the Eagles, scored the highest of any quarterback on the 50-question Wonderlic test according to various reports. Wentz scored a 40, of a possible 50, to edge out Stanford quarterback Kevin Hogan (38), an expected mid-round pick, by two points.

Of the other quarterbacks projected to go in the first three rounds of the draft, Cal's Jared Goff had the third highest score. The expected No. 1 overall pick of the Rams, scored 34.

Here are the scores of the other top-rated quarterbacks: Michigan State's Connor Cook (25), Ohio State's Cardale Jones (25), Mississippi State's Dak Prescott (25), North Carolina State's Jacoby Brissett (24), Penn State's Christian Hackenberg(24) and Memphis' Paxton Lynch (18).<<

Reaction Score
I qualified based on my LSAT score, but who the hell would join Mensa? Lame.

I think Wonderlic is used to identify risky players, nothing more.

Who knew the LSAT could get you in? I guess I could've joined 20 years ago. Not to be self-deprecating, but that doesn't say much for their group. I'm no genius.

I'd think the Wonderlic is helpful to see who has aptitude to learn. I'm sure a lot of these kids, regardless of the fine institute for higher learning that they attended, did't have to try too hard in college. Some come out with a 3.5 gpa in "Submit a Fake Paper" Studies, while others meet the NCAA minimum 2.00 (or whatever it is) to stay eligible. The kid with the 2.0 could be significantly more intelligent than the kid that took bogus courses. Then again, they will also need to determine if that smart, but unmotivated, student would work/study hard in the NFL.

I was surprised that my solid LSAT score and awful grades got me into a couple decent law schools. To me it showed I was smart, but didn't give any effort (which would've been a spot-on analysis). I was a risk.

Reaction Score
Given the fact that teams are not required to select players in the supplemental draft essentially makes it very different. Eligibility for the supplemental draft indicates something went awry (normally legal and/or academic), with the player, affecting eligibility for the regular draft.

Regardless, Pryor was not projecting to be an ideal pro QB. Among character issues, there were question on his accuracy, his ability to read defenses, and according to most mock drafts that year (had he declared), he was not projected to be a high draft pick to begin with. Even then, there was talk of a position conversion.

The fact of the matter is that Pryor's Wonderlic score was a pretty good predictor of what kind of player he projected to be and while he was drafted as a QB, he was traded or released 3 times before he actually did convert to receiver.

Completely agree with all of your thoughts on Pryor and having been a Raider fan for almost 50 years I was less than thrilled with the pick which turned out to be Al Davis' last selection.

However while the Raiders were not forced to draft Pryor they did and he cost them their 3rd round pick in 2012 which makes him a 3rd round pick.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who knew the LSAT could get you in? I guess I could've joined 20 years ago. Not to be self-deprecating, but that doesn't say much for their group. I'm no genius.

I'd think the Wonderlic is helpful to see who has aptitude to learn. I'm sure a lot of these kids, regardless of the fine institute for higher learning that they attended, did't have to try too hard in college. Some come out with a 3.5 gpa in "Submit a Fake Paper" Studies, while others meet the NCAA minimum 2.00 (or whatever it is) to stay eligible. The kid with the 2.0 could be significantly more intelligent than the kid that took bogus courses. Then again, they will also need to determine if that smart, but unmotivated, student would work/study hard in the NFL.

I was surprised that my solid LSAT score and awful grades got me into a couple decent law schools. To me it showed I was smart, but didn't give any effort (which would've been a spot-on analysis). I was a risk.

LSAT score had to be at a certain level for MENSA. Not sure what it was. I was 99.8% so was past that bar. I like logic questions. My grades at UConn...first two years bad, last two years good. :) It seems we had a similar path/approach...

Agree Wonderlic is just a tool, information to be used as appropriate. I think it's value varies by position quite a bit as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Completely agree with all of your thoughts on Pryor and having been a Raider fan for almost 50 years I was less than thrilled with the pick which turned out to be Al Davis' last selection.

However while the Raiders were not forced to draft Pryor they did and he cost them their 3rd round pick in 2012 which makes him a 3rd round pick.

My point is I don't think Pryor gets selected in the 3rd round of the regular draft, especially if his pre-draft workouts are at QB. I think the Raiders were swayed by the hype, as the latter Davis Era management was wont to do.

Reaction Score
LSAT score had to be at a certain level for MENSA. Not sure what it was. I was 99.8% so was past that bar. I like logic questions. My grades at UConn...first two years bad, last two years good. :) It seems we had a similar path/approach...

Agree Wonderlic is just a tool, information to be used as appropriate. I think it's value varies by position quite a bit as well.

99.8%! Damn! I was 96%. But there are a bunch of correct responses required between my score and yours. Hopefully you were smart enough to terminate the path to law school!

Reaction Score
That's just it, Geno's 24 makes him exponentially smarter than Lynch. Think about that for a second. 18 is bad at that position, and a kid would have to blow me out of the water with work ethic to take any kind of risk like that.

And I just read a draft board showing Lynch going to the Jets. Please no. I rather take a gamble on Cook in the 2nd round than likely eat a 1st round pick on Lynch in the first when the Jets have a lot of holes to plug elsewhere - OL, DL depth, RB, etc.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And I just read a draft board showing Lynch going to the Jets. Please no. I rather take a gamble on Cook in the 2nd round than likely eat a 1st round pick on Lynch in the first when the Jets have a lot of holes to plug elsewhere - OL, DL depth, RB, etc.

I think Cook is probably the best QB in the draft.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I like the Giants to take Lynch in the ten spot. It they can trade back and get him later, that is okay too. Eli is not getting any younger and this guy will need a couple of years of refinement. What I don't want is for the Giants to have no quarterback when Eli retires. Lynch is 6'6" can pass and is mobile.

Reaction Score
"It was obviously the greatest feeling," Lynch said. "This was a dream come true for me. The Denver Bronco organization is obviously one of the best in the league."

18 sounds about right.

Reaction Score
"It was obviously the greatest feeling," Lynch said. "This was a dream come true for me. The Denver Bronco organization is obviously one of the best in the league."

18 sounds about right.

With Sanchez as the only QB there, I see Lynch easily becoming the starter in Denver.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
With Sanchez as the only QB there, I see Lynch easily becoming the starter in Denver.

Becoming the starter..but I doubt he plays this year..and maybe even next year. He is very raw and not pro style ready. Hard to imagine him seeing the field anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Becoming the starter..but I doubt he plays this year..and maybe even next year. He is very raw and not pro style ready. Hard to imagine him seeing the field anytime soon.

Personally, I'd take Lynch's inexperience to Mark Sanchez's "experience" any day. Sanchez had two decent years, mainly because the Jets at that time relied heavily on the run and he wasn't expected to do anything else but game manage. When he has to make decision he's and interception machine.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten has 4 of the 9 lowest Wonderlic scores in NFL draft history. Explains how UNC gets off so easily.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Personally, I'd take Lynch's inexperience to Mark Sanchez's "experience" any day. Sanchez had two decent years, mainly because the Jets at that time relied heavily on the run and he wasn't expected to do anything else but game manage. When he has to make decision he's and interception machine.

I hear ya..and admittedly I haven't seen Sanchez play the last couple years...but I would worry about Lynch's confidence getting impacted if he struggles out of the gate. Especially considering how foreign a pro style offense will be for him.

Reaction Score

18 sounds about right.

Yeah... I'd like to be that "dumb":

corryjoelApr 28, 11:03pm via Twitter Web Client
The maximum Paxton Lynch will get in his 4-year rookie deal is $9,476,313, which includes a signing bonus of no more than $5,091,864.

Reaction Score
I hear ya..and admittedly I haven't seen Sanchez play the last couple years...but I would worry about Lynch's confidence getting impacted if he struggles out of the gate. Especially considering how foreign a pro style offense will be for him.

I see where you're coming from. But I can see Denver taking the Blake Bortles route. He wasn't pro offense ready and I believe played in a similar system to Lynch in college. Bortles struggled, but the staff showed confidence in him through the whole process and he's starting to show that they made the right decision.

Reaction Score
Saw Lynch catch a pass in an odd drill today at Broncos camp - he was being covered by Mark Sanchez. Saw him throw a bit also - has a great arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom