Paul P is not worse that RE. Not. | The Boneyard

Paul P is not worse that RE. Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stop all this talk about PP being a downgrade from RE. He is a continuation of RE, and that's unacceptable for us. It should be unacceptable. RE became unacceptable. If this were RE having this season and last, we would be calling for his head, and rightly so. We're just sick of this type of offense.

RE would be having exactly the same success as PP is having right now. His play calling is the same, his talent is the same, in fact, this is primarily RE's team. PP inherited gaping holes on offense. Edsall left this team in the lurch, New Year's Day, with no quarterback coming in, no running back coming in, very little talent at wide receiver, no play makers. When Nick Williams is supposed to be your best playmaker, you got a problem. Rutgers didn't offer him, and he's your best playmaker?

This is just a continuation of Edsall's regime. Nothing different. Edsall would have had to go after this year. Maybe he would have got a pass for longevity/loyalty reasons. But PP doesn't get that. He doesn't have the same loyalty reserves that RE built up. Has to go. We cannot move the program forward with guys like RE or PP. We need young blood, fire, someone who can relate better to the kids, passion. This program doesn't recruit itself. Kids don't grow up dreaming about Uconn. We need a JC to build this program.

Reaction Score
Sorry Gars respectfully disagree. We would not be 8-10 under Edsall the past 1.5 seasons​

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I had hope with Edsall.

It was misguided occasionally and certainly limited on the upside, but it was hope.

We have no prospects under the current coaching staff. None.

Reaction Score
PP makes RE look like a genius. PP & GDL = Bevis & Butthead

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I still like Don Brown, but one thing you could hope for with Edsall was that the defense would either score off a turnover or give the offense a short field. Apparently that's too much to ask for these days (along with any kind of consistency on offense).

Reaction Score
Here's the difference between P and Edsall. After Geremy's catch Edsall would have SPRINTED TO MIDFIELD calling a time out and arguing the ball was caught at the same time. Then after he won that argument he would have gotten more time put back on the clock. PP just took it in the butt a la Wannstedt

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I still like Don Brown, but one thing you could hope for with Edsall was that the defense would either score off a turnover or give the offense a short field. Apparently that's too much to ask for these days (along with any kind of consistency on offense).

Get a turnover? Yes. Give the offense a short field? Nah. I was a big Edsall fan, don't get me wrong. But there was no mistaking what kind of defense we were going to play, and it was going to be the "bend, don't break" variety, which by definition includes a lot of "bending." That's actually how we got the turnovers in the first place; by waiting for the opposing QB to make a mistake on the dink-and-dunk stuff, but we routinely gave up a few first downs in the process.

This new defense doesn't get the turnovers, but they certainly get the three-and-outs, and they also get the field position switched. We've just found new and interesting ways to squander it, that's all...

Reaction Score
Edsall was a very conservative, predictable, running offense like we have now, but the difference is Edsall's teams always could run the ball. It made sense when we consistently had one of the best running games in the Big East. Under PP the running game took a step back last year, and now this year has been pretty much non-existant. Yet we are still doing the same thing.

And with Edsall we just didn't see the clock management/game management issues that we see on a regular basis now.

Edsall had his faults, but all the issues we had under Esdall are still issues now. And things that we always did well under Edsall we don't do as well anymore.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Get a turnover? Yes. Give the offense a short field? Nah. I was a big Edsall fan, don't get me wrong. But there was no mistaking what kind of defense we were going to play, and it was going to be the "bend, don't break" variety, which by definition includes a lot of "bending." That's actually how we got the turnovers in the first place; by waiting for the opposing QB to make a mistake on the dink-and-dunk stuff, but we routinely gave up a few first downs in the process.

This new defense doesn't get the turnovers, but they certainly get the three-and-outs, and they also get the field position switched. We've just found new and interesting ways to squander it, that's all...
Good points, I just remember how a pick-six would impact a game and give the fans (and presumably the offense) a glimmer that the game was winnable. Maybe this year, three-and-outs by the defense would be more meaningful if Nicky were a bit more of the return threat that we want him to be, or if the offense was, you know, able to mount scoring drives.

Reaction Score
Stop all this talk about PP being a downgrade from RE. He is a continuation of RE, and that's unacceptable for us. It should be unacceptable. RE became unacceptable. If this were RE having this season and last, we would be calling for his head, and rightly so. We're just sick of this type of offense.

RE would be having exactly the same success as PP is having right now. His play calling is the same, his talent is the same, in fact, this is primarily RE's team. PP inherited gaping holes on offense. Edsall left this team in the lurch, New Year's Day, with no quarterback coming in, no running back coming in, very little talent at wide receiver, no play makers. When Nick Williams is supposed to be your best playmaker, you got a problem. Rutgers didn't offer him, and he's your best playmaker?

This is just a continuation of Edsall's regime. Nothing different. Edsall would have had to go after this year. Maybe he would have got a pass for longevity/loyalty reasons. But PP doesn't get that. He doesn't have the same loyalty reserves that RE built up. Has to go. We cannot move the program forward with guys like RE or PP. We need young blood, fire, someone who can relate better to the kids, passion. This program doesn't recruit itself. Kids don't grow up dreaming about Uconn. We need a JC to build this program.

I agree. Our defense and special teams are better. We have actually blocked 2 kicks this year (one FG , one punt) and I don't have to cringe everytime we kick in fear of it being blocked. Our offensive strategy is the same we just don't have a Todman, Brown or a Caulley to run it. Whitmer is more interception prone than McEntee. Whitmer has 10 int's in 166 atts. Last year the whole team had 9 int's in 359 atts last year. I don't think we have the talent to run any offense. Word is that Cochran is still not 100% and is going to red shirt this year. But who knows if he is the answer?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Good points, I just remember how a pick-six would impact a game and give the fans (and presumably the offense) a glimmer that the game was winnable. Maybe this year, three-and-outs by the defense would be more meaningful if Nicky were a bit more of the return threat that we want him to be, or if the offense was, you know, able to mount scoring drives.

I just keep thinking to myself that with even some semblance of a running game, we could win a fair amount of these games that we are losing. There is nobody in the world now that can convince me that Foley shouldn't immediately take back the offensive line and get our running game back to where it was (even during last year)!! It may be due to having less talent on the OLine than normal Husky years, but they should still be able to establish the run (since many of them showed they could last year). The running game takes the pressure off of Whitmer so that he's not chucking 4 INT's every game. Foley has to take that thing back, and soon...

Reaction Score
Been saying for a long time now. . . Need to bring in 2 or three Qbs in each class til this mess gets straigtened out.

Reaction Score
I was never a big fan of Edsall but this is way worse than what RE put out there. I don't see how anyone could possibly think PP is doing a good job and this ship will sink really fast if change isn't made soon.

Reaction Score
Edsall was a very conservative, predictable, running offense like we have now, but the difference is Edsall's teams always could run the ball. It made sense when we consistently had one of the best running games in the Big East. Under PP the running game took a step back last year, and now this year has been pretty much non-existant. Yet we are still doing the same thing.

And with Edsall we just didn't see the clock management/game management issues that we see on a regular basis now.

Edsall had his faults, but all the issues we had under Esdall are still issues now. And things that we always did well under Edsall we don't do as well anymore.
Look. When PP came in, he had RE's players. He didn't bring anyone with him. Would RE have done better with these same players? I don't think so. PP was dealt a bad hand. Was RE marginally better? I dunno. I don't see the big difference. Whatever, either one of them would be out in my book.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Been saying for a long time now. . . Need to bring in 2 or three Qbs in each class til this mess gets straigtened out.
You can bring in 20 QBs a class it's not going to help. We need pass and run blocking and a good RB who doesn't go down from ankle tackles. Better, athletic WRs too. A run game may be boring but it opens things up for the pass game. Then everybody's happy. Right now nobody's happy. We need big uglies on the OL and a OL coach and OC who can utilize them. Then you can worry about QBs.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Somewhere Edsall is laughing his motha farkin ass off

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
about what? this coaching staff beat him.
Why do you honestly think he cares? Really ? He knows this program is about to be one of America's biggest train wrecks in the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
Why do you honestly think he cares? Really ? He knows this program is about to be one of America's biggest train wrecks in the next couple of years.
Not without his help.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

i was just answering a simple 1 hitter. we are no worse or better off right now from RE to PP. dont tun everything into a RE vs PP matchup like BL.

#UNCN

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
i was just answering a simple 1 hitter. we are no worse or better off right now from RE to PP. dont tun everything into a RE vs PP matchup like BL.

#UNCN
Nope I'm not and your right it was a lateral move for us.

Reaction Score
I want to be in a bowl this year. I don't care if its the Charmin Asswipe Bowl, I just want to be there. And I'm slightly optimistic for next year. No GDL hopefully, 7 or 8 home games and 2 of our away games are somewhat close @ Temple and Buffalo, very beatable teams. We have potential next year, but fire PP anyways.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
Temple may not as big a push over as we think gonna be a dog fight next sat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom