Parker off Olympic team? | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Parker off Olympic team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Here's a link the 2015 WNBA leader board for all the stats.

CP led the league in apg, which I didn't know.
Thank you, Wally, those are the type of numbers that help. As I said I don't watch the W and would not have expected that. Assists and +/- tell you much more about all around play than rebounds and blocks.

Reaction Score
So much for her being classy about this whole thing. Candace just posted this a short time ago:

Biting my tongue....

Note one of the many sympathetic Instagram comments on this video includes: "...I know this will come full circle for you..."
Hmmmm....maybe it just did.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She can't have a little fun with it by posting some highlights for a #tbt? She didn't make a particular comment with them. You can have an idea of what her intent *might* be but that's your projection onto an innocuous video.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
So much for her being classy about this whole thing. Candace just posted this a short time ago:

whatever sympathy I had for Parker just vanished.

We don't know if Geno and USAWBB was living in the past, but, we now know that Candace was.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the merits, details, and circumstances, this will fuel an anti-UConn narrative among players, fans, and the media.

Expect that many more people to be cheering our struggles next year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She can't have a little fun with it by posting some highlights for a #tbt? She didn't make a particular comment with them. You can have an idea of what her intent *might* be but that's your projection onto an innocuous video.

Yeah right.

Reaction Score
So far, Parker has played for Team USA in a total of 2 major international tournaments: the 2008 and 2012 Olympics. She did not play for the gold-medal winning Team USA at the 2010 World Championships, nor did she play for the gold-medal winning Team USA at the 2014 World Championships. I remember Team USA's gold medal was really won in the semi-final game against Australia. I remember that the Australian post players had their way with Team USA in that game until Tina Charles and Ashja Jones responded in the second half (Fowles was injured). I also remember that Candace Parker was virtually a no-show in that game, wanting no part of the physical Aussies. Parker played great in the gold medal game against France, a finesse team, but everyone knew the toughest game was against Australia.

So that's it. That's the sum total of Candace Parker's experience playing for Team USA. Can someone tell me why everyone cares so much that she's not on the Olympic team? I don't get it.

I care for several reasons. When I watched UCONN annihilate Miss State it was the beauty of watching greatness on display. Because in men's college basketball the star players leave early - you can never see it. In that Olympcis the game you cite vs France, I still remember Parker coming off the bench and they had Whelan and a much better ANgel in the lienup. Flying own the court on a fatsbreak - it was a thing of beauty. I love fastbreak basketball. I saw 6'4/6'5 Parker whom I usually root against handling the ball in the backcourt full speed with other super players. I wanted to see more of that. It's not that no oen else can do it- but no one at her size can do it and ook so graceful and also finsish in the manner she can as she's leading the break. The socre was irrelevant. Irrelvant whether it was Aussie or France. WHat I saw and was a bit heopful for more of- was watching this on display again. Just like with the UCONN women, the socre was irrelevant. It was the beauty of watching all-tiem great paleyr's play AT THEIR BEST. Watchign Parker play at her best, playing fastbreak basketball, is worth admission. I watch more wcbb than mcbb.

As a fan - I'd like to know the technical reason why she's not on. The reason that there are too manyother good 3/4's is BS to me. Tell me why. I want to know because in part I AM A FAN and I'd like to know how/why some dccsions (not all) are made. It's no different than listening to a postgame interview in which you want to listen and understand the coach's insighs and sometimes form what transpired. What transpired to allow her to be cut from a bit more technical perspective other - we just had too many others. BS. In this case Parker is one of the world's best. Is it that what makes her great they feel doesn't translate well to the women's game or was it more that she only wants to play on the Olympics? If they don't tell me - that's their decision. But as a fan I can still care because I'm a fan of the game and like to hear or read of some basketball play insights. And if I think what they are saying is BS-- well as a fan I am waving the BS flag. If they won't then they'll just have to get over a little criticism. They're big boys and girls.

I don't want the same thing happening to a UCONN player in the future I love in which the committee dumps a player I like a ton without a good explanation. I'll start to feel like some of the others feel that for example are huge fans of Parker and become bitter - I don't want to feel that way. I feel that Parker can be valuable vs that finesse team having the game of their lives. IMO her skillset warranted the selection. And while overall I might not "care as much" as "The Parker fan" I believe her style should have been used as tremendous asset just like what I remember four years ago vs France. I wanted to see that fastbreak style and this time - Parker would be told of her role to start - so maybe that hurt her some in 2012 when she struggled a bit. That's wasn't Geno's fault certainly. Geno's obligation is to the team so big deal if someone is hurt a little regarding starting. But Parker's role did change in 2012.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've just been thinking about the 'Ultimatum' string of posts that was here or another one of these long threads - my response was that Geno did present an ultimatum to Sue and DT (and not to the committee) that if they really wanted him to coach another cycle, then they had to bust their chops to be in shape and ready to make the Olympic team.

In thinking about this and specifically the 2006/08 cycle, I suspect he may have present a requirement to USA basketball before accepting the second cycle - if I take the job, then you must give me a winning experienced team in 2014 and 2016 and not saddle me with a developmental team in 2014 like you did to Anne Donovan in 2006. You can give me two rookies but the other ten players have to be vets. That 2006 team had I believe 6 first time NT members.

Reaction Score
It's not simple for USA BB and that's a very good thing. Fans can view things simply and often do.

I agree. And yet sometimes a committee for example or a coach can fall in love with a one-set formula which not in all cases should apply. The committee is not infallible. When it isn't there is nothing wrong if fans bring in their more simple opinion explaining why they feel the powers that be may have over-thought a critical issue.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I care for several reasons. When I watched UCONN annihilate Miss State it was the beauty of watching greatness on display. Because in men's college basketball the star players leave early - you can never see it. In that Olympcis the game you cite vs France, I still remember Parker coming off the bench and they had Whelan and a much better ANgel in the lienup. Flying own the court on a fatsbreak - it was a thing of beauty. I love fastbreak basketball. I saw 6'4/6'5 Parker whom I usually root against handling the ball in the backcourt full speed with other super players. I wanted to see more of that. It's not that no oen else can do it- but no one at her size can do it and ook so graceful and also finsish in the manner she can as she's leading the break. The socre was irrelevant. Irrelvant whether it was Aussie or France. WHat I saw and was a bit heopful for more of- was watching this on display again. Just like with the UCONN women, the socre was irrelevant. It was the beauty of watching all-tiem great paleyr's play AT THEIR BEST. Watchign Parker play at her best, playing fastbreak basketball, is worth admission. I watch more wcbb than mcbb.

As a fan - I'd like to know the technical reason why she's not on. The reason that there are too manyother good 3/4's is BS to me. Tell me why. I want to know because in part I AM A FAN and I'd like to know how/why some dccsions (not all) are made. It's no different than listening to a postgame interview in which you want to listen and understand the coach's insighs and sometimes form what transpired. What transpired to allow her to be cut from a bit more technical perspective other - we just had too many others. BS. In this case Parker is one of the world's best. Is it that what makes her great they feel doesn't translate well to the women's game or was it more that she only wants to play on the Olympics? If they don't tell me - that's their decision. But as a fan I can still care because I'm a fan of the game and like to hear or read of some basketball play insights. And if I think what they are saying is BS-- well as a fan I am waving the BS flag. If they won't then they'll just have to get over a little criticism. They're big boys and girls.

I don't want the same thing happening to a UCONN player in the future I love in which the committee dumps a player I like a ton without a good explanation. I'll start to feel like some of the others feel that for example are huge fans of Parker and become bitter - I don't want to feel that way. I feel that Parker can be valuable vs that finesse team having the game of their lives. IMO her skillset warranted the selection. And while overall I might not "care as much" as "The Parker fan" I believe her style should have been used as tremendous asset just like what I remember four years ago vs France. I wanted to see that fastbreak style and this time - Parker would be told of her role to start - so maybe that hurt her some in 2012 when she struggled a bit. That's wasn't Geno's fault certainly. Geno's obligation is to the team so big deal if someone is hurt a little regarding starting. But Parker's role did change in 2012.

Fair point in wanting to know why. The reason given was why USA BB believes they could put together a great team without her; it doesn't address the real reason they didn't put her on the team. There are most definitely reasons. We'll see if they come out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hoophuskee - nice passionate explanation.
I honestly think the answer is Catchings. Stewart and EDD were going to be in the team, Charles Fowles, and Griner are in the team because of Australia; Bird, Taurasi, Whalen, Augustus, and McCoughtry are there because no one stepped up to take away their places; Moore is Moore, and so that left Catchings and Parker. We just saw Kobe's farewell tour, and this summer we get the farewell tour including an Olympic bow from Tamika. For all your passion about the beautiful game which I agree with, there will also be a lot of passion involved with Catchings farewell stint - not unlike what we as Uconn fans just witnessed over the last few months with the big three taking their final bows in the college game.

Reaction Score
Who cares if people think it came down to Stewie or Parker? Stewie won 4 national championships and 4 most outstanding player awards. How many did Parker win?

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Welcome back. 105th percentile? Still not good enough for UCONN:D.
Very logical post I agree with all of your points.

My daughter's crying and lack of communication might be a problem also. Lol

One other problem I have with the entire thing is USA basketball had Candace, EDD, and Bird doing a lot of promo for the Olympics recently. I think that is just wrong if she wasn't going to make the team. Seems like they were just using her. I also know how excited Candace's daughter was. Candace was actually pregnant during the 2008 Olympics (can't remember if she knew yet) so Candace tweeted a few weeks ago that she was excited that this time her daughter would be able to understand and enjoy more of it than in 2012.

Welcome back. 105th percentile? Still not good enough for UCONN:D.
Very logical post I agree with all of your points.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Oh come one. She's having fun but the intent is pretty clear. No explanation necessary.

She's directing her anger and disappointment in the wrong direction, however. LOL

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Interesting that you bring up Charles and Parker. Tina Charles played for Team USA in the 2010 World Championships, the 2012 Olympics and the 2014 World Championships. Not only did Tina play for Team USA, she excelled for Team USA in each of those competitions. I recall watching an international broadcast of the 2010 World Championships and hearing the announcers say that Tina Charles was the best young post player in the tournament. In the 2012 Olympics, it was Tina Charles who stood up to the Australian post players and turned around a game the US was losing. Candace Parker wanted no part of the physical Aussies in that game and was eventually replaced with Ashja Jones. Two years ago in Istanbul Tina Charles was again outstanding and, in my opinion, should have been on the all-tournament team.

I know no one is suggesting that Tina Charles shouldn't be on the Olympic team or that Charles made the team at the expense of Parker. I mention Charles as a way of asking why so many people care that Candace Parker isn't on the Olympic team. Tina Charles has contributed more towards Team USA winning gold medals than Candace Parker has yet I doubt anyone other than UConn fans would care if Tina Charles were left off the team. Why are so many so overwrought by Parker's absence? It's not like Team USA hasn't done just fine without her.

So far, Parker has played for Team USA in a total of 2 major international tournaments: the 2008 and 2012 Olympics. She did not play for the gold-medal winning Team USA at the 2010 World Championships, nor did she play for the gold-medal winning Team USA at the 2014 World Championships.
I really wanted to address the first part of your post which I find the most interesting. People need to remember that this is TEAM USA. Anyone remember Cappie Pondexter opting to go to Fashion Week in New York instead of joining Team USA for practice and tryouts the first couple of days? She was left off the 2010 USA team that went to Prague.

Compare that to Parker. Yes she had surgeries, but she made sure to have them done so that she'd have time to play overseas, and earn lots of $$... but it was at the expense of Team USA and the World Championships in Prague and Istanbul. In fact, she was playing through the injury in 2010 in the WNBA until her team tanked and decided to take the rest of the season off to have the surgery and recuperate.

I get that players have injuries and need surgery. Can't blame them for that. BUT if she chose to schedule the surgery so that she'd miss the World Championships in 2010 and 2014, BUT would would be healed in time for the lucrative overseas seasons, I can see why USA basketball might be miffed. Cappie was left off the team seemingly for her transgression at NY Fashion Week. Choosing to pass on Team USA twice so she could make more $$ overseas seems like a valid reason for Team USA to pass on her now in 2016.

People are overwrought about Parker's absence from the team because they believe her to be one of the best individual players in the world. She may very well be, but Team USA is all about the TEAM. It's about sacrificing individual goals, etc, for the betterment of the team and our country. If the committee felt that she had consistently put her personal career over Team USA, I can see why they would have done what they did.

Instead of blaming the US National committee and Geno, maybe people should take a harder look at what Candace did for Team and Country and see if her absence has more to do with her past actions.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If indeed she posted the video it likely expresses the very attitude or behavior that led to her not being selected.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
So now Candace is judged on when she had surgery? She has been very dedicated to USA basketball and I don't think it would have been good for her to take a spot on the team when she needed surgery anyway.

I really wanted to address the first part of your post which I find the most interesting. People need to remember that this is TEAM USA. Anyone remember Cappie Pondexter opting to go to Fashion Week in New York instead of joining Team USA for practice and tryouts the first couple of days? She was left off the 2010 USA team that went to Prague.
Compare that to Parker. Yes she had surgeries, but she made sure to have them done so that she'd have time to play overseas, and earn lots of $$... but it was at the expense of Team USA and the World Championships in Prague and Istanbul. In fact, she was playing through the injury in 2010 in the WNBA until her team tanked and decided to take the rest of the season off to have the surgery and recuperate.

I get that players have injuries and need surgery. Can't blame them for that. BUT if she chose to schedule the surgery so that she'd miss the World Championships in 2010 and 2014, BUT would would be healed in time for the lucrative overseas seasons, I can see why USA basketball might be miffed. Cappie was left off the team seemingly for her transgression at NY Fashion Week. Choosing to pass on Team USA twice so she could make more $$ overseas seems like a valid reason for Team USA to pass on her now in 2016.

People are overwrought about Parker's absence from the team because they believe her to be one of the best individual players in the world. She may very well be, but Team USA is all about the TEAM. It's about sacrificing individual goals, etc, for the betterment of the team and our country. If the committee felt that she had consistently put her personal career over Team USA, I can see why they would have done what they did.

Instead of blaming the US National committee and Geno, maybe people should take a harder look at what Candace did for Team and Country and see if her absence has more to do with her past actions.

Reaction Score
Hoophuskee - nice passionate explanation.
I honestly think the answer is Catchings. Stewart and EDD were going to be in the team, Charles Fowles, and Griner are in the team because of Australia; Bird, Taurasi, Whalen, Augustus, and McCoughtry are there because no one stepped up to take away their places; Moore is Moore, and so that left Catchings and Parker. We just saw Kobe's farewell tour, and this summer we get the farewell tour including an Olympic bow from Tamika. For all your passion about the beautiful game which I agree with, there will also be a lot of passion involved with Catchings farewell stint - not unlike what we as Uconn fans just witnessed over the last few months with the big three taking their final bows in the college game.

For me yes I agree Catchings is one -- but I think there are also two others as well. What might stink is once the games start - we may have to hear this over-and-over. Hope not.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So now Candace is judged on when she had surgery? She has been very dedicated to USA basketball and I don't think it would have been good for her to take a spot on the team when she needed surgery anyway.
Has she been very dedicated to US Basketball? How so? Did she arrange her surgeries around US Basketball, or did she arrange them so she could play overseas and earn lots of $$? She was healthy and participated in the 2012 Olympics, but what exactly has she "done" for USA basketball? If you "don't think it would have been good for her to take a spot on the team when she needed surgery anyway", why did she play thru the first part of the WNBA that year, and then elect to have the surgery after it was clear her team would not make the playoffs? Why not have the surgery earlier so she could have been recuperated in time for Team USA?

Frankly I'm done with people blaming Geno for her exclusion from the team (not accusing you of doing that), but instead of playing the "poor Candace Parker" card over and over, I'm asking people to expand their minds and look at reasons she might not be on the team other than Geno not wanting her there. How much has she really given and sacrificed for Team USA?

If people continue to want to perpetuate the "blame Geno" and "blame the committee", that's their prerogative, but I'm suggesting they look at where Parker might have brought this on herself. There's a reason this happened and it has zero to do with Geno being the bad guy.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The 2010 shoulder surgery was legit, though there is a story out there that she had originally intended to have it after the season and thus have to miss the world championships. She injured her shoulder, had the surgery early and that was that.

In 2014 she played in 32 games for the Sparks, including 2 playoff games and then decided a few days later to have what ESPN said was "minor surgery" which apparently couldn't wait a couple of months. She skipped the world championships again. Many of her veteran USA teammates probably needed some rest and minor procedures too but instead headed over to Istanbul to play for Team USA.

I just read a blog posting on another site that apparently some of her teammates were none to pleased.

May be getting closer to what happened here.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The 2010 shoulder surgery was legit, though there is a story out there that she had originally intended to have it after the season and thus have to miss the world championships. She injured her shoulder, had the surgery early and that was that.

In 2014 she played in 32 games for the Sparks, including 2 playoff games and then decided a few days later to have what ESPN said was "minor surgery" which apparently couldn't wait a couple of months. She skipped the world championships again. Many of her veteran USA teammates probably needed some rest and minor procedures too but instead headed over to Istanbul to play for Team USA.

I just read a blog posting on another site that apparently some of her teammates were none to pleased.

May be getting closer to what happened here.
Thanks for the more specific dates, etc to expand on my post, Cat. I think I had 2010 and 2014 reversed. Either way, I agree about getting closer to the reasons she was left off the team. Combine her skipping the USA World Championship games with displeasure from other USA National teammates - again, it's all about the TEAM. I'll be very curious as more of this comes to light.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
It seems pretty obvious that you are not going to agree with me. She has put in many hours with USA basketball. I'm not saying others haven't but you can not say she has not been dedicated. She didn't play much oversees last season because she wanted to spend time with family and to get ready for the Olympics.

Parker Balances Basketball, Family

Has she been very dedicated to US Basketball? How so? Did she arrange her surgeries around US Basketball, or did she arrange them so she could play overseas and earn lots of $$? She was healthy and participated in the 2012 Olympics, but what exactly has she "done" for USA basketball? If you "don't think it would have been good for her to take a spot on the team when she needed surgery anyway", why did she play thru the first part of the WNBA that year, and then elect to have the surgery after it was clear her team would not make the playoffs? Why not have the surgery earlier so she could have been recuperated in time for Team USA?

Frankly I'm done with people blaming Geno for her exclusion from the team (not accusing you of doing that), but instead of playing the "poor Candace Parker" card over and over, I'm asking people to expand their minds and look at reasons she might not be on the team other than Geno not wanting her there. How much has she really given and sacrificed for Team USA?

If people continue to want to perpetuate the "blame Geno" and "blame the committee", that's their prerogative, but I'm suggesting they look at where Parker might have brought this on herself. There's a reason this happened and it has zero to do with Geno being the bad guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom