Paging (Part 1): Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures (BHV)! | The Boneyard

Paging (Part 1): Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures (BHV)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Because why wait until May to release your findings? Because there is no need for a FOI request here on the Boneyard! Most importantly, because I have a very generous wife who "allows" me this much time to gather and communicate this stuff 'out there'! :)

Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures (BHV) is a company focused on media and other commercial rights advisory services, business development and investment opportunities in the sports and entertainment industries.

BHV is based in New York City and partners with professional, collegiate and amateur sports leagues, teams and governing bodies, as well as entertainment, marketing and media companies.

1. Located in: One Grand Central Place
    Address: 60 E 42nd St #1410, New York, NY 10165
    Phone:(917) 790-0644
    http://www.bhv-llc.com/contact/
BHV,

Congratulations on being named the consulting group for the Big 12's upcoming expansion of their TV and media contract!

I'll get right to it. UConn is the #1 choice for Big 12 expansion of any Group of 5 school. By categories:

1. TV DMA - UConn is within a 2 hour drive from the following DMAs: New York (#1), Boston (#8), Hartford/New Haven (#30), Providence, RI (#52), and Springfield, MA (#116) for a whopping 11.4M TV home potential. By comparison, BYU would rank #2 (if you add LDS members in the U.S. and Salt Lake, UT DMA) with roughly 7M TV home potential. No other Group of 5 school comes close to bringing that kind of potential TV home reach to the table. In fact, Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida, and South Florida bring a COMBINED 12.3M TV homes. http://www.tvb.org/media/file/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

UConn FOOTBALL is a TOP FIVE followed program in New York and Boston: Page 7: http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/282123-responsive-documents.html#document/p1. Basketball is followed even more closely in these markets, as evidenced by the overwhelming home court atmosphere obtained when playing at Madison Square Garden and TD Bank Garden. UConn has a strong alumni presence in both New York and Boston.

2. Brand Value - In 2014, UConn was also the #1 valued brand of all Group of 5 members. At $72M, UConn's value is ahead of #2 BYU ($59M) by $13M. UCF ($51M), USF ($48M), Houston ($45M), Cincinnati ($42M), and Memphis ($41M) all pale by comparison. http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

3. Tier 3 Rights Value - In 2010, UConn signed a 10 year/ $80M contract with IMG. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-Recently-Signed-Multimedia-Rights-Deals.aspx. Also, UConn and SNY reached a Tier 3 deal for Women's Basketball rights ONLY for an additional $1.14M/yr. That puts UConn's Tier 3 right at a combined $9.14M/yr. Keep in mind, both contracts were signed in 2010 and values have surely increased given the continued athletic success!

UConn and Nike signed an apparel contract that pays the university $2.775M/yr. Again, this contract was signed in 2010. The deal is valued higher than any remaining Group of 5 member. http://www.bizjournals.com/portland...2/database-nike-adidas-under-armour-ncaa.html.

4. TV Ratings - I do not need to educate the experts about UConn's strength in TV ratings! But as a friendly reminder, here are some interesting facts about UConn's athletic department's TV rating strength:

- UConn's 2015 bowl game TV rating was the 3rd strongest in the American Athletic Conference, despite its 11am kickoff time the day following Christmas! By comparison, only the Virginia Tech vs Tulsa (Frank Beamer's final game) and Houston vs Florida State Peach Bowl (New Year's 6 Bowl) drew more TV homes. UConn vs Marshall drew the same as Memphis vs Auburn, despite its lack of "sexy" lead-in. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

- UConn vs Oklahoma 2010 Fiesta Bowl almost DOUBLED the amount of TV homes that the Houston vs Florida State 2015 Peach Bowl drew (10.2M to 5.6M).

- UConn and SNY (New York) have a tremendous relationship and ratings continue to soar: http://today.uconn.edu/2012/12/uconn-huskies-surge-in-popularity-on-sny/. SNY also is the official TV home of the UConn Huskies Men’s and Women’s basketball programs, televising over 450 hours of UConn programming annually, including more than 20 live games. Founded by Sterling Entertainment Enterprises, Time Warner and Comcast, SNY is available to viewers throughout New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and northeastern Pennsylvania, and nationally on DIRECTV, Verizon FiOS, Comcast Cable and AT&T U-Verse.

I understand and appreciate that the work ahead of you is challenging. But make no mistake, the challenge will be how to explain how UConn does not bring substantial value to a potential Big12 Network.

Thank you for your time in reading this and good luck with your work!

Regards,
Dooley (UConn '05)

Reaction Score
Because why wait until May to release your findings? Because there is no need for a FOI request here on the Boneyard! Most importantly, because I have a very generous wife who "allows" me this much time to gather and communicate this stuff 'out there'! :)

Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures (BHV) is a company focused on media and other commercial rights advisory services, business development and investment opportunities in the sports and entertainment industries.

BHV is based in New York City and partners with professional, collegiate and amateur sports leagues, teams and governing bodies, as well as entertainment, marketing and media companies.

1. Located in: One Grand Central Place
    Address: 60 E 42nd St #1410, New York, NY 10165
    Phone:(917) 790-0644
    http://www.bhv-llc.com/contact/
BHV,

Congratulations on being named the consulting group for the Big 12's upcoming expansion of their TV and media contract!

I'll get right to it. UConn is the #1 choice for Big 12 expansion of any Group of 5 school. By categories:

1. TV DMA - UConn is within a 2 hour drive from the following DMAs: New York (#1), Boston (#8), Hartford/New Haven (#30), Providence, RI (#52), and Springfield, MA (#116) for a whopping 11.4M TV home potential. By comparison, BYU would rank #2 (if you add LDS members in the U.S. and Salt Lake, UT DMA) with roughly 7M TV home potential. No other Group of 5 school comes close to bringing that kind of potential TV home reach to the table. In fact, Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida, and South Florida bring a COMBINED 12.3M TV homes. http://www.tvb.org/media/file/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

UConn FOOTBALL is a TOP FIVE followed program in New York and Boston: Page 7: http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/282123-responsive-documents.html#document/p1. Basketball is followed even more closely in these markets, as evidenced by the overwhelming home court atmosphere obtained when playing at Madison Square Garden and TD Bank Garden. UConn has a strong alumni presence in both New York and Boston.

2. Brand Value - In 2014, UConn was also the #1 valued brand of all Group of 5 members. At $72M, UConn's value is ahead of #2 BYU ($59M) by $13M. UCF ($51M), USF ($48M), Houston ($45M), Cincinnati ($42M), and Memphis ($41M) all pale by comparison. http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

3. Tier 3 Rights Value - In 2010, UConn signed a 10 year/ $80M contract with IMG. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-Recently-Signed-Multimedia-Rights-Deals.aspx. Also, UConn and SNY reached a Tier 3 deal for Women's Basketball rights ONLY for an additional $1.14M/yr. That puts UConn's Tier 3 right at a combined $9.14M/yr. Keep in mind, both contracts were signed in 2010 and values have surely increased given the continued athletic success!

UConn and Nike signed an apparel contract that pays the university $2.775M/yr. Again, this contract was signed in 2010. The deal is valued higher than any remaining Group of 5 member. http://www.bizjournals.com/portland...2/database-nike-adidas-under-armour-ncaa.html.

4. TV Ratings - I do not need to educate the experts about UConn's strength in TV ratings! But as a friendly reminder, here are some interesting facts about UConn's athletic department's TV rating strength:

- UConn's 2015 bowl game TV rating was the 3rd strongest in the American Athletic Conference, despite its 11am kickoff time the day following Christmas! By comparison, only the Virginia Tech vs Tulsa (Frank Beamer's final game) and Houston vs Florida State Peach Bowl (New Year's 6 Bowl) drew more TV homes. UConn vs Marshall drew the same as Memphis vs Auburn, despite its lack of "sexy" lead-in. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

- UConn vs Oklahoma 2010 Fiesta Bowl almost DOUBLED the amount of TV homes that the Houston vs Florida State 2015 Peach Bowl drew (10.2M to 5.6M).

- UConn and SNY (New York) have a tremendous relationship and ratings continue to soar: http://today.uconn.edu/2012/12/uconn-huskies-surge-in-popularity-on-sny/. SNY also is the official TV home of the UConn Huskies Men’s and Women’s basketball programs, televising over 450 hours of UConn programming annually, including more than 20 live games. Founded by Sterling Entertainment Enterprises, Time Warner and Comcast, SNY is available to viewers throughout New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and northeastern Pennsylvania, and nationally on DIRECTV, Verizon FiOS, Comcast Cable and AT&T U-Verse.

I understand and appreciate that the work ahead of you is challenging. But make no mistake, the challenge will be how to explain how UConn does not bring substantial value to a potential Big12 Network.

Thank you for your time in reading this and good luck with your work!

Regards,
Dooley (UConn '05)

Dooley for UConn AD!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Great job Dooley.

I found it interesting that the only AAC schools with higher TV bowl ratings this year both played long-established, storied P5 teams. We played... Marshall... The second most popular team in the 38th most populous state (and least wealthy state, based on per capita income). A regional draw at best. Half the people in the country probably don't even know what state Marshall is in. Guess who tuned in for that game? The fans of the school with the P5 following but stuck in a G5 nightmare, perhaps?

I think that statistic alone- the TV ratings for a still relatively-fledgling football program who hadn't had a winning season in five years and whose popular once-conference-mate draws were completely stripped away from them- still has enough of a following despite all its been through to draw a bona fide P5 rating.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I just don't see how, if it's truly about content and athletic team following, we don't get in to a P5. I'm totally perplexed how it hasn't happened already, and given who's left with their backs on the wall at the sixth grade dance waiting for a partner, how we aren't chosen next.

I want to use some cliché about being the candidate with the least amount of warts but that would imply that we are in the same class as Cincy, Memphis, USF and UCF to begin with. We aren't.

So I will analogize us as the hot but totally bitchy girl that no one wants to deal with and that's the reason our dance card hasn't been filled. We are every bit on par with schools like Kansas, and totally ahead of schools like Wake Forest, Purdue, etc, who already call the P5 home. I mean, if you had Kansas, Memphis, Cincy, USF and UCF lined up, who wouldn't judge Kansas to be the complete outlier in the group? Why is it that people don't see us in the same light? I'm getting pissed off and tired of it.

/End rant.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I just don't see how, if it's truly about content and athletic team following, we don't get in to a P5. I'm totally perplexed how it hasn't happened already, and given who's left with their backs on the wall at the sixth grade dance waiting for a partner, how we aren't chosen next.

I want to use some cliché about being the candidate with the least amount of warts but that would imply that we are in the same class as Cincy, Memphis, USF and UCF to begin with. We aren't.

So I will analogize us as the hot but totally bitchy girl that no one wants to deal with and that's the reason our dance card hasn't been filled. We are every bit on par with schools like Kansas, and totally ahead of schools like Wake Forest, Purdue, etc, who already call the P5 home. I mean, if you had Kansas, Memphis, Cincy, USF and UCF lined up, who wouldn't judge Kansas to be the complete outlier in the group? Why is it that people don't see us in the same light? I'm getting pissed off and tired of it.

/End rant.
It's because realignment is not a rational process controlled by a central entity. It is not a merit-based system.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
It's because realignment is not a rational process controlled by a central entity. It is not a merit-based system.

I don't find it to be a system based on anything. It's about football history so Syracuse and Pitt are taken. It's about TV sets so Rutgers is taken. It's about who fries chicken and provides recruits with hos better so Louisville is taken. What the fluck can it be about this time that we don't win at?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Great job Dooley.

I found it interesting that the only AAC schools with higher TV bowl ratings this year both played long-established, storied P5 teams. We played... Marshall... The second most popular team in the 38th most populous state (and least wealthy state, based on per capita income). A regional draw at best. Half the people in the country probably don't even know what state Marshall is in. Guess who tuned in for that game? The fans of the school with the P5 following but stuck in a G5 nightmare, perhaps?

I think that statistic alone- the TV ratings for a still relatively-fledgling football program who hadn't had a winning season in five years and whose popular once-conference-mate draws were completely stripped away from them- still has enough of a following despite all its been through to draw a bona fide P5 rating.

I too was surprised to see a good number for our game. 11am kickoff (even earlier in other time zones!) against a 'meh' name in a game that even us diehards struggled to watch and it still pulled a comparable number to Auburn vs Memphis...two names that got a "sexy" lead up to their game and are often lauded as playing an exciting brand of football. But yet, here our game is slopping around in a punting contest in a mostly empty stadium when half of the top sports demographic (males age 18-35) are probably still sleeping to a comp number. To say that rating is impressive is an understatement. I trust the pros at BHV and Navigate will recognize this too.

Reaction Score
Mr Dooley - Mr DHV here. When can we schedule an interview with you? We are interested in offering you a job.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

/End rant.
I've heard that they are a little put off by your attitude Matt. Just saying... ;)

CL82

Reaction Score
I nominate @Dooley for the Boneyard Medal of Honor. First, we need to design the BMH, then we need to schedule the first annual Boneyard Banquet, and then Fishy, HuskyNan, and temery can present him with it.
Uh, that would be the Bronze Filagree with Gold Oak Leaf Clusters. Paging Dr. Dos.... "Sometimes in error, but never in doubt ~ "

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I've heard that they are a little put off by your attitude Matt. Just saying... ;)

I'm a little put off by the decision making of the cartel!

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
How about the Boneyard Award in honor of Dooley's Advancing our School's Success or the BADASS. Of course the first ever BADASS award goes to Dooley himself. Congrats!

CL82

Reaction Score
How about the Boneyard Award in honor of Dooley's Advancing our School's Success or the BADASS. Of course the first ever BADASS award goes to Dooley himself. Congrats!
Too late they already do a "Bad Ass Award" over on the WBB board.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Is it a "bad ass award", or a "badass award"?

Because those are two entirely different things...

Like the Rough Riders and the Roughriders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom