P. said a transfer will join us in the summer. | The Boneyard

P. said a transfer will join us in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And his name is Bryce McNeal

This has been known for some time. I have talked to Bryce a number of times. He is very excited about becoming a Huskie and can't wait to get up here.

Reaction Score
Bryce has two years of eligibility right? Some have reported one year, others two years.

On paper I don't think we have ever had this much quality depth at WR going into a season. Two highly regarding transfers, a legit pro prospect in Michael Smith, Nick Williams, Geremy Davis and Tebucky Jones.

This depth is why I would like to see Nick Williams get a look at RB in the spring just to see if there is anything there, but it seems doubtful that it will happen.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He has two years. Graduated Clemson in three years (or will be graduating in three in May) but redshirted a year. He's categorized the same as Danny O'Brien, to use a reference.

Reaction Score
Yes he has two years.

Don't want to derail the thread, but I don't see Smith as legit pro prospect. He was pretty solid. Missed this past season and hasn't proven too much when he did play. He hasn't scored a single touchdown either. I am excited about the highly regarded (coming out of HS) Phillips and McNeal. I hope Smith can get back to being a contributor as well.

Reaction Score
Mike Smith hasnt scored a touchdown? I don't think that is accurate. I think Smith could be pretty special with a consistent passer to get him the ball.

Reaction Score
Mike Smith hasnt scored a touchdown? I don't think that is accurate. I think Smith could be pretty special with a consistent passer to get him the ball.

Sorry just noticed it was missing 2010 stats. I added his 2010 stats. He has 2 touchdowns. Still not a stand out by any means, but a little better than I originally thought.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_michael00.html

Year GP-GS REC YDS AVG TD LONG AVG/G
2008 13-1 12 137 11.4 0 34 10.5
2009 10-3 15 170 11.3 0 31

2010 46 615 13.4 2 56 13.5

Reaction Score
I can't remember against whom, Vandy? Buffalo? But I remember him scoring. He hasn't been a standout to date, but I like his swagger as a wr. He seems to want the ball. He's had his share of drops sure, but in our offense every dropped pass stood out.

If we get a consistent passer, I could see 50+ catches, 700yds, 6 tds easily.

Reaction Score
I can't remember against whom, Vandy? Buffalo? But I remember him scoring. He hasn't been a standout to date, but I like his swagger as a wr. He seems to want the ball. He's had his share of drops sure, but in our offense every dropped pass stood out.

If we get a consistent passer, I could see 50+ catches, 700yds, 6 tds easily.

He needs to hold onto the ball, he has had some absolutely maddening drops. But there is no doubt he is a big physical receiver who can get open on intermediate routes. Hope he spent his lost year working on catching the ball.

Reaction Score
Mike Smith is the only proven commodity we have at the WR position.

I'm with this. I'd love to see that a lot of other guys on the roster are much better. But, other than Smith, only McNeil has proven anything to date.

Reaction Score
He needs to hold onto the ball, he has had some absolutely t drops. But there is no doubt he is a big physical receiver who can get open on intermediate routes. Hope he spent his lost year working on catching the ball.

Absolutely needs to hang on to the ball. Like I said in a ball, control, run first, second, and third offense, every drop seems worse than it is because it is usually followed by a punt.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We do seem deep at wide receiver. I hope we give Williams some shots on screen passes, as he flashed some potential last year.

Reaction Score
I'm with this. I'd love to see that a lot of other guys on the roster are much better. But, other than Smith, only McNeil has proven anything to date.

I am VERY excited to see McNeal on the filed, but I'm not sure he has proven anything to date (at least not much more than Nick, or the 2 returning frosh)

CAREER stats - - 20 catches for 195 yards and seven yards on four carries in 318 snaps over 15 games (four starts).

Those numbers are equivalent to what Difton put up here. Again, I am excited to see what he can bring and hope he can break out here. I just don't think he has proven much, yet.

Reaction Score
I am VERY excited to see McNeal on the filed, but I'm not sure he has proven anything to date (at least not much more than Nick, or the 2 returning frosh)

CAREER stats - - 20 catches for 195 yards and seven yards on four carries in 318 snaps over 15 games (four starts).

Those numbers are equivalent to what Difton put up here. Again, I am excited to see what he can bring and hope he can break out here. I just don't think he has proven much, yet.

What he brings is another 6'+, 180lb+ body at the WR position to the practice field. He'll need to prove he belongs on the game field jsut like everybody else.

Reaction Score

The difference is McNeil's numbers were as a starter as a frosh, before getting pushed aside for what might have been the best freshman in the country. I think he showed he's a starting, BCS receiver. has he shown he's an all-conference level player -- absolutely not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Yeah, but Mike needs to make "The Leap" this year. He certianly seems to have the ability.

Reaction Score
The difference is McNeil's numbers were as a starter as a frosh, before getting pushed aside for what might have been the best freshman in the country. I think he showed he's a starting, BCS receiver. has he shown he's an all-conference level player -- absolutely not.

I don't think we disagree at all and hope he tears it up here, but he had 4 career starts, 4. Three before the true frosh got there, 1 after.

Reaction Score
Anyone think Kamal Abrams will RS this year?

THIS. Ironically, for all of my anger toward PP about blowing redshirts, we now are in a good position with depth to get the redshirts back on Nebrich and Abrams. I may have overreacted to that general situation.

Reaction Score
THIS. Ironically, for all of my anger toward PP about blowing redshirts, we now are in a good position with depth to get the redshirts back on Nebrich and Abrams. I may have overreacted to that general situation.

Can't really be mad at P for "burning" redshirts on these guys. with few scholarship players at QB and WR, they were somewhat forced to see the field. But with added depth at each position now, it is certainly a possibility they can both redshirt. To be honest though, if Nebrich is redshirted, I don't see him sticking around another season.

Reaction Score
Here is another confirmation:

Bryce McNeal, Clemson to Connecticut – The Huskies desperately need to find some improvement in the passing game in 2012, but it looks like coach Paul Pasqualoni has taken steps to get the offense back on track. Connecticut will bring in two quarterbacks to compete for the starting job, and the team picked up McNeal as a transfer from Clemson. In two years with the Tigers, McNeal caught 19 passes for 187 yards. He should bring some much-needed speed to the receiving corps and will have an opportunity for playing time with the Huskies losing their top two receivers.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-transfers-watch-2012

Reaction Score
P complained at signing day about not enough competition at each position. Remember, besides Frye we lost a pile of kids - Generett, Difton, Box. Would have been nice to R/S MN, but we had nobody to push the level up.

Reaction Score
P complained at signing day about not enough competition at each position. Remember, besides Frye we lost a pile of kids - Generett, Difton, Box. Would have been nice to R/S MN, but we had nobody to push the level up.

Agreed, this year could be different. A ton of depth, albeit young at most of the positions of need from a year ago. Some very good athletes are now aboard. Should make for interesting spring/summer practice session. I am way too pumped for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom