P on WTIC with JoeD | The Boneyard

P on WTIC with JoeD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ever listen to somebody speak and all the words sound right and you're almost convinced, but then reality snaps in? Listening to HCP tonight, I was thinking he makes sense ...maybe he deserves another year, then I came to my senses.

I did note that HCP did start campaiging for a job next year saying the scout teams are working really hard and coming along, and next year we'll see some big payoffs. So, Im sure that is the tack with Warde..."we're almost there, just a little more time." Of course, the downward trajectory does not support this contention unless he's keeping high impact talent off the field. Be interestng to see if Warde gets sucked in to the HCP BS.

Reaction Score
Ever listen to somebody speak and all the words sound right and you're almost convinced, but then reality snaps in? Listening to HCP tonight, I was thinking he makes sense ...maybe he deserves another year, then I came to my senses.

I did note that HCP did start campaiging for a job next year saying the scout teams are working really hard and coming along, and next year we'll see some big payoffs. So, Im sure that is the tack with Warde..."we're almost there, just a little more time." Of course, the downward trajectory does not support this contention unless he's keeping high impact talent off the field. Be interestng to see if Warde gets sucked in to the HCP BS.

Not an encouraging talk. Whenever a coach starts talking about how great the Scout team is looking, I start thinking that he has started thinking about next year and he has written off this one.

Reaction Score
Scout team? If these young guns where that impactful they'd be out on the playing field right now. UConn is a team with lots of holes, how hard would it be for a freshman to break into the lineup if they were that talented?

Reaction Score

Yep, daily when I hear any of the campaign rhetoric.

Reaction Score
Could you imagine hearing this nonsense if you were a senior?? No timeouts called at end of first half at Rutgers, but, by golly, the scout team is kicking butt!

yeesh

Reaction Score
Scout team? If these young guns where that impactful they'd be out on the playing field right now. UConn is a team with lots of holes, how hard would it be for a freshman to break into the lineup if they were that talented?

I remember when Michael Box was lighting up the Scout Team. DC told us he was all that and a bucket. It just isn't a reliable indicator as you say.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whenever a coach starts talking about how great the Scout team is looking, I start thinking that he has started thinking about next year and he has written off this one.

What makes it worse it that this year was the year. Now it's next year?

Reaction Score
I want GDL to retire, Foley get the oline back and we hire a new OC who is looking at the HC job as the next step. Then P can stay. If the new OC works out and becomes HC, we could have him here for 5-8 years before he leaves.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

As ZooCougar just said, it really doen't work like that. Football is a development game and it's why the NFL requires potential rookies to be 3 years out of high school. the redshirt so invaluable for a A 17 year old line man weighing 230 to physically mature in order to compete at his position at this level. The other benefit is to learn the play book and adjust to the speed so they are able to be dropped right in to the 2-Deep.

On the other hand, if the coach's return cannot be ensured, we're looking at another fustrating year couple years. That is where scheme flexibility comes in (Which I've been screaming from the hilltops since my arrival on this board...).

Reaction Score
As ZooCougar just said, it really doen't work like that. Football is a development game and it's why the NFL requires potential rookies to be 3 years out of high school. the redshirt so invaluable for a A 17 year old line man weighing 230 to physically mature in order to compete at his position at this level. The other benefit is to learn the play book and adjust to the speed so they are able to be dropped right in to the 2-Deep.

On the other hand, if the coach's return cannot be ensured, we're looking at another fustrating year couple years. That is where scheme flexibility comes in (Which I've been screaming from the hilltops since my arrival on this board...).

Thanks for the update on the obvious. Traditional powers like Nebraska were famous for red shirting their incoming freshman classes (particularly the line where physical maturity play a huge part in effectiveness). But the further you move away from the ball on the line, the more likely you can find players who can contribute immediately. Same for RB's. QB's less likely but sometimes it happens (Landry Jones, Dennard Robinson).

Best guideline, if it works at the BCS level for other programs, it probably is the right thing for UConn to emulate. Bet the roads are packed with freshman playing - and making contributions - to their program.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the update on the obvious. Traditional powers like Nebraska were famous for red shirting their incoming freshman classes (particularly the line where physical maturity play a huge part in effectiveness). But the further you move away from the ball on the line, the more likely you can find players who can contribute immediately. Same for RB's. QB's less likely but sometimes it happens (Landry Jones, Dennard Robinson).

Best guideline, if it works at the BCS level for other programs, it probably is the right thing for UConn to emulate. Bet the roads are packed with freshman playing - and making contributions - to their program.

Funny that you try to put me down but can't grasp the same obviousness that you assert...Have you been watching the games? The O-Line is where a good portion of UConn's problems begin. Some redshirts are probably ready now, but they weren't in August. I don't think its worth burning a full year of eligibility unless it is absolutely necessary.

Our current starter at QB was the most suitable man for the job even before Casey the WonderFrosh got hurt, whom I fully expected was going to be redshirted regardless of injury. I certainly agree that LMC is being used improperly and I don't understand why JW wasn't redshirted, if he's only being used on Specials.

Slice it anyway you want, but the fact remains that this staff has had the same problem for the last 19 games. Whether it be game plan, in-game adjustments, play calling, or overall scheme, the do not consistently put the players on the field in the best position to succeed.

Reaction Score
What makes it worse it that this year was the year. Now it's next year?

Rest assured, next year will not be "the year." Way too many losses of personnel on Defense.

If the Staff is back, I will hope that next year is a year where players start "getting it" better, and we play above our potential instead of leagues below it as we are right now, but next year we will not be in a position to have an outstanding season regardless of who our coach is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Funny that you try to put me down but can't grasp the same obviousness that you assert...Have you been watching the games? The O-Line is where a good portion of UConn's problems begin. Some redshirts are probably ready now, but they weren't in August. I don't think its worth burning a full year of eligibility unless it is absolutely necessary.

Our current starter at QB was the most suitable man for the job even before Casey the WonderFrosh got hurt, whom I fully expected was going to be redshirted regardless of injury. I certainly agree that LMC is being used improperly and I don't understand why JW wasn't redshirted, if he's only being used on Specials.

Slice it anyway you want, but the fact remains that this staff has had the same problem for the last 19 games. Whether it be game plan, in-game adjustments, play calling, or overall scheme, the do not consistently put the players on the field in the best position to succeed.

+1000000000000

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no reason to think things will be better next year unless, at the very least, DeLeone is gone.

Our Defense is already performing at its peak under Brown, there is no more "getting it" on that side of the ball.

In order to believe the offense will get better next year we would first need to see evidence of improvement this year and it hasn't been there. If anything the Line play is getting worse.

DeLeone's return means an off season with no hope, hopefully somebody in power recognizes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom