Our Shooting Is Not Good | The Boneyard

Our Shooting Is Not Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At some point which is now, I think I can say that we are a bad shooting team and it's not likely to improve. We run plays, get shots and don't convert. 4-28 from 3, 32% from the field. This is not a streak. We struggle to score 60 points in a game. KO wants 10 3's not 28 but no one listened so I do not blame him, the players who are limited admitedly do not execute. We need players who can knock down shots 5,4,3,2 star if needed, but we don't have them. Auburn went 5-22 so they are bad but the 3 is not a weapon for us and needs to be mostly removed from the game plan unless we're open by a mile. I knew we would miss Sterling's shooting but thought Jackson would be an answer. Wow.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
At some point which is now, I think I can say that we are a bad shooting team and it's not likely to improve. We run plays, get shots and don't convert. 4-28 from 3, 32% from the field. This is not a streak. We struggle to score 60 points in a game. KO wants 10 3's not 28 but no one listened so I do not blame him, the players who are limited admitedly do not execute. We need players who can knock down shots 5,4,3,2 star if needed, but we don't have them. Auburn went 5-22 so they are bad but the 3 is not a weapon for us and needs to be mostly removed from the game plan unless we're open by a mile. I knew we would miss Sterling's shooting but thought Jackson would be an answer. Wow.
You are right.

Reaction Score
Yes, we heard VJ was a sharp shooter. He's awful. Form is bad and results are worse. He does so little else on the floor if he can't shoot he'a a huge liability right now.

You are right.

Reaction Score
think they shoot fine alone in a gym/with shooting machine, its just after action like coming off a screen or on the move the team can't get it done. 100% on the staff. you can't let two known shooting prospects come into your program and start laying up bricks (vance and vital).

Reaction Score
Our offense was generating plenty of open looks, we just could not buy a basket

Reaction Score
Thought VJ was a 3 point threat coming in. Seems like his hoop today was the first since Maui.
And Vital is good for 2 airballs from 3 a game.

Reaction Score
Vital reminds me of the Giffey of the first 3 years.

He can shoot the 3 pretty well. If he is wide open and gets the time to set his feet.

VJax I have much less confidence in. I think he needs to rework his shot.

Finally, there is something wrong with Rodney's shooting this year. Not the same as last year. He needs to go back and look at some film. He was getting more lift when he shot last year. There's a difference.

Free throws though he is looking good.

Reaction Score
Yes, we heard VJ was a sharp shooter. He's awful. Form is bad and results are worse. He does so little else on the floor if he can't shoot he'a a huge liability right now.
You're always on top of things, so I know you meant besides his 9 rebounds, he does so little else.

Reaction Score
Vital reminds me of the Giffey of the first 3 years.

He can shoot the 3 pretty well. If he is wide open and gets the time to set his feet.

VJax I have much less confidence in. I think he needs to rework his shot.

Finally, there is something wrong with Rodney's shooting this year. Not the same as last year. He needs to go back and look at some film. He was getting more lift when he shot last year. There's a difference.

Free throws though he is looking good.

Can't argue with 9/10 from the line. That was impressive, given how poorly this team has been shooting free throws.

The rest of the shooting was definitely a bummer.

Reaction Score

You are a master of understatement. 14% from three point range? I don't know hint I've seen worse. The good sign tonight was the improvement in rebounding and general hustle.

Reaction Score
think they shoot fine alone in a gym/with shooting machine, its just after action like coming off a screen or on the move the team can't get it done. 100% on the staff. you can't let two known shooting prospects come into your program and start laying up bricks (vance and vital).
100% on the staff? Seriously?

Reaction Score
You are a master of understatement. 14% from three point range? I don't know hint I've seen worse. The good sign tonight was the improvement in rebounding and general hustle.

I have seen worst but it was a female on my daughters high school team. Her family thought she was AA. She shot a combined 3 for 49 in a xmas tourney. When the coach finally figured out she was a great athlete, but a terrible shooter, he tried to get her to stop shooting. Took one and a half seasons. Then she quit.

Reaction Score

Vital and Jackson are missing every kind of 3 imaginable, off of action, spot up, off of a dribble to step into a 3, you name it. Ain't no way in hell you can lay all that blame squarely on the staff. Same with the decline in Purvis when for the most part he's getting the same type of 3s he got last year. These dudes aren't being asked to do Bazz type end of shot clock/off the dribble contested 3s, at some point these guys gotta have some accountability and just make a shot, KO and the rest of the staff can't control that. This season got some of you dudes losing all sense of perspective.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Jackson needs to settle down. I don't think he was supposed to shoot that three as time expired. Anyway, he will be okay. I's sure. Vital hit a couple of nice ones the start of the season. But now, the fans sitting behind the basket are getting nice breezes from numerous airballs. Don't they practice threes at all? I was wondering when Rodney was going to stop shooting them. At some point you have to realize it ain't gonna happen. so who does that leave. Ugh. Facey looks very confident has a excellent shot. Now Enoch needs work but is looking better each game if that makes sense. Agreeing on other posts needing to get the ball inside. An And One is like a three ball, only closer.

Reaction Score
Vital and Jackson are missing every kind of 3 imaginable, off of action, spot up, off of a dribble to step into a 3, you name it. Ain't no way in hell you can lay all that blame squarely on the staff. Same with the decline in Purvis when for the most part he's getting the same type of 3s he got last year. These dudes aren't being asked to do Bazz type end of shot clock/off the dribble contested 3s, at some point these guys gotta have some accountability and just make a shot, KO and the rest of the staff can't control that. This season got some of you dudes losing all sense of perspective.
its player development imo. i mean sure, i can blame the players. but with this sample size they clearly haven't been prepared well enough to hit shots. they get good looks. ollie drew up alot of good looks off flair/hammer action. My point is these guys came to storrs as shooters and mid way through the season they look like garbage shooters. whose fault is that is up to you, to me i think the staff should take a lot of blame.

Reaction Score
its player development imo. i mean sure, i can blame the players. but with this sample size they clearly haven't been prepared well enough to hit shots. they get good looks. ollie drew up alot of good looks off flair/hammer action. My point is these guys came to storrs as shooters and mid way through the season they look like garbage shooters. whose fault is that is up to you, to me i think the staff should take a lot of blame.
To me it falls on the players, we have Rothstein and Greenberg watching practice and confirming how good of a shooter Jackson is, yet he's getting the same type of looks during the games that both Giffey and Daniels feasted on their last year and can't make anything. Vital is also getting great looks, hell he had a wide open corner 3 that he shot well over the rim. So if these players are making these shots in practice and running the plays in practice that produces these looks how I can sit here and blame the staff for not preparing the players for missing relatively wide open shots? I get that 2 of them are freshmen, but good grief, just hitting 35% shooting from 3 from the Purvis/Jackson/Vital trio would probably shave about 3 losses off the record.

Reaction Score

Who said they came as good shooters? College and high school is different. In college an open shot comes with someone flying at you. In high school, you are left alone to go slow through your set up. I have total confidence Vital can hit that shot. But he is not setting his feet when he shoots now because he needs to shoot it too quickly.

We've seen this film reel before. Giffey had the same problem as a frosh, soph and junior. Could not hit the three unless he was left alone.

Rodney is in a slump.

Reaction Score
We recruited a bunch of bad shooters for next year because we supposedly had great shooters already. It is going to be a long god knows how many years.

The head coach is always responsible. He picks the assistants and he picks the recruits. Whether we are getting the wrong kids or they just aren't developing, it is always on the head coach.

Reaction Score
@upstater who said they came in as great shooters? How about every reputable scouting service. Or kos mouth, he noted them as great shooters a number of times in the preseason.

Reaction Score
Purvis 1-9 , Jackson 1-8 , vital 1-5 from 3
Most were open looks too
We have small room for error
Gotta make em

Can't win this way. Plenty of room for improvement with young players. They can improve their skills and decision-making but those numbers will negate a lot of positive effort you make during a game. One decent 3-point shooter would make a huge difference for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom