our last p5 shot | The Boneyard

our last p5 shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
images

Reaction Score
Makes me nervous. Cinn. a shoe -in for 1 spot. They have been telling recruits for 2 years that they are headed to B12. Last spot between Memphis-UCF-Houston-UC.

Reaction Score
Makes me nervous. Cinn. a shoe -in for 1 spot. They have been telling recruits for 2 years that they are headed to B12. Last spot between Memphis-UCF-Houston-UC.

I don't believe that Cincinnati has been doing this, or their recruiting would probably be better. I'll eat my hat if Houston ends up getting a Big 12 invite before UT leaves.

Reaction Score
I say no one's a shoe in. Last time someone was a shoe in anywhere it was us to the ACC. Let's put our best foot forward and make necessary concessions if need be.

Reaction Score

StewieGilchristMay 03, 11:23am via Talon Plus
I can see it now. UC will get Steve Harvey'd. It'll be announced that Memphis and UC are added then we find out the UC was short for UConn

Reaction Score
Our last shot until the next last shot.

Except that the CR momentum has clearly slowed. The last P5 to change homes was, in fact, the one that everyone thought was our best shot, Louisville/ACC, announced almost 4 years ago.

If it doesn't happen now, then when? B1G and SEC have monster deals that overwhelmingly raise the bar for new additions; PAC doesn't need to add. ACC would only add if they lose defectors, but again, where would anyone defect to?

XII is only looking at G5, not going to create another conference carousel.

These could be the last spots, if any, for a long time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Cincinnati is not a shoe-in. Their market metrics in the analysis the Big XII did were poor. They are somewhat close to WVU, have decent grad school research and field competitive but never championship caliber teams. They are in a decent recruiting ground, but really don't add anything. K-State isn't beating out Ohio State for kids in Ohio.

UConn leads by miles for markets. (Houston is strong but UT already covers it) It leads in academics. It leads in all sports aside from football. It leads in overall athletic budget. It's the only state flagship land grant university being considered. That matters in the midwest. It's the only team that is actually the #1 team in its home DMA.

UCF has size, a good market and recruiting locale. It's not close to #1 in that market however. Academics are just ok, below average. Aside from occasional football success under a coach who is now gone, they suck at most other sports.

Memphis has smaller market and is a weak 3rd choice (at best) in that market. It's academics are way below the Big XII average. It has no football history of success. It has had some basketball success, but trails UConn by miles and even Cinci there. Offers nothing really other than being closer geographically.

BYU has a strong national brand. Good academics. Solid football history and great support for it from fans. Decent basketball too. The local market is small, but the LDS provides national reach. Negatives include no Sunday play and a network that is incompatible with a future Big XII network. Reports are that Fox/ESPN want eastern time zone content.

Reaction Score
C'mon I understand UConn fans are nervous and rightly so but lets not act hysterical yet....regardless of what the Big12 does, expansion is not over.

The financial gap between the BIG/SEC and everyone else is growing. The GORS for the Big2 and ACC run out on the mid 20s. There are programs in both the ACC and Big12 which the BIG/SEC would add without hesitation even if the media contracts get larger.

Bottom line is expansion has slowed the last few years but it is not done. The worst case for UConn is the Big12 does not expand now or, even worse, the Big12 expands and we are not one of the teams selected. But even if this disaster were to happen, there will be another realignment coming around 2025. I am not minimizing what a kick in the balls this would be, only saying there is at least one more big shakeup coming.

The best thing that happened recently for UConn was the new huge BIG deal. It basically insured the ACC and Big12 cannot fully financially catch up and it is inevitable some of their prime teams will likely jump when the GORs expire. Unequal revenue insures the status quo will not hold.

Now if UConn does not get into a P5 after the ACC/Big12 GORs expire in 2025 it might full fledged light yourself on fire panic time...

Reaction Score
even if B12 adds teams, may implode if / when B1G + SEC come calling for Texas, OKL.

Reaction Score
even if B12 adds teams, may implode if / when B1G + SEC come calling for Texas, OKL.

And if they stay pat and the B1G + SEC come calling they are sound?

Go study Algebra 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69