Other pertinent information about UNC recruiting | The Boneyard

Other pertinent information about UNC recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a post I did before UNC received their "monster verbals" (Posted in December). HuskyNan, I am not trying to stir up anything, but I thought this was food for thought. Oh yeah, I am a major UNC fan

So here are some possibilities other than transfers:

1. Dual sport athletes- McDaniel and Butts are D-1 track athletes. Therefore they switch their scholarships to track and do both sports.

2. Redshirt 1 or more players.

3. Are any of our recruits strong academically? I know Gross was accepted to Stanford this opens up the possibility of an academic scholarship to one of our players.

4. If we recruit Diamond DeShields her parents are able to afford paying her way, are there others?
Since McDaniel is also the daughter of a former professional athlete, perhaps both parents would be willing to pay their way for a season. This happened on the men's side(UNC) with Wes Miller, who's parents were wealthy enough to pay his tuition one season to open up a scholarship for someone else, and he was a major contributor to the team's success.
Players do get recruited over at many schools, and oftentimes players see their playing time shrinking or becoming non existent. However, these hot-shot recruits still have to come in and perform to bypass players who have spent 2-3 years in the system and the weight room. It is not often that players come in as freshmen and take another legitimate players spot. ( Even Maya and DT came off the bench as freshmen, before injuries).
One last point, when Dean Smith was the men's coach he had a player on the team named Larry Davis, after the team finished his junior(??) season; Coach Smith told him he was very unlikely to get much playing time the following season, and he suggested he transfer. He transferred to the University of South Carolina, and was a key component in leading the Gamecocks to a number 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately they were upset by Coppin State in the opening round, but sometimes things work out for the best when players transfer. I use this as an example because Coach Smith treated all of his players the same and he built a program were the 12th man and the superstar were on equal footing with him. I don't know whether or not Coach Hatchell is the same way, but I do know that Carolina strives to do things the right way in their athletic department.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe the following are problems.

1. They cannot switch their scholarships to track and do both sports. Under an NCAA hierarchy of sports the scholarship must be charged to the higher ranked sport which is basketball.

4. A player who has made two recruiting trips to campus or two recruiting contacts cannot forgo counting against scholarships.

Reaction Score
lol, so 3 of the 4 options are already cut. I believe option 3 doesn't work either, if you are recruited then you have to be on athletic scholarship for football or basketball. if you never contacted any coaches and just enrolled as a regular student, happened to try out for the team and made it, maybe you could keep your academic scholarship but that wouldn't apply to all those girls recruited by the unc staff

if you redshirt you are still on scholarship
if you play other sports, you are still on scholarship for basketball.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
3. Are any of our recruits strong academically? I know Gross was accepted to Stanford this opens up the possibility of an academic scholarship to one of our players.
I think, but am not 100% sure, that the Ivies are the only schools that get away with this as they don't offer athletic scholarships. I'm not sure how the service academies work.

Reaction Score
Nan, actually the Ivies do not offer any academic scholarships either; they offer no merit-based scholarships, only financial-need based.

I think, but am not 100% sure, that the Ivies are the only schools that get away with this as they don't offer athletic scholarships. I'm not sure how the service academies work.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The OP suggests that some people at UNC have come to the belated realization that the AD has made commitments to more players than will fit into the roster of 15. IF (as I believe) they did, I think that their actions were irresponsible and terribly unfair to players already enrolled. This will play out in the next couple of years and it could be very interesting to see how they squeeze more than 15 wcbb scholarships into a roster of 15 players. Based on currently available information, it seems that the AD and Coach Hatchell now have their hands stuck in the proverbial cookie jar. For the sake of all concerned (fine university, all players to whom commitments have been made, their families, the AD and the coach), I hope this issue is resolved amicably and that my concerns prove to be unfounded.

We shall certainly see.

So will the NCAA.

Reaction Score

Students/cadets at the service academies are oath taking members of the military and are paid one half a second lieutenant's pay. While athletes are recruited to the service academies, scholarships are not offered because all the cadets get paid, housed, and fed. We had to pay for our uniforms and for our books, the money deducted from our pay. On road trips we were given TDY pay. It was better than being on scholarship. The only compliance issues were with the UCMJ(Uniform Code of Military Justice).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Every single cadet and midshipman at each service academy is on full scholarship (room, board, tuition, plus uniforms and pay!) so there are no athletic (or academic) scholarships per se. Skilled athletes are given preferential consideration by the admissions staff, otherwise they could not possibly compete at the D1 level.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Students/cadets at the service academies are oath taking members of the military and are paid one half a second lieutenant's pay. While athletes are recruited to the service academies, scholarships are not offered because all the cadets get paid, housed, and fed. We had to pay for our uniforms and for our books, the money deducted from our pay. On road trips we were given TDY pay. It was better than being on scholarship. The only compliance issues were with the UCMJ(Uniform Code of Military Justice).
My brother went to USAFA so I'm familiar with how the academies work. I just wasn't sure how the NCAA "accounts for" (for lack of a better term) the athletes' scholarships vis-à-vis applying them toward the NCAA's scholly limits.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I believe the following are problems.

1. They cannot switch their scholarships to track and do both sports. Under an NCAA hierarchy of sports the scholarship must be charged to the higher ranked sport which is basketball.

4. A player who has made two recruiting trips to campus or two recruiting contacts cannot forgo counting against scholarships.

100% correct. This rule was instituted primarily for football, obviously, to prevent athletic departments from stuffing football players onto other teams to circumvent the schollie limits, but there is an established hierarchy (based on revenue driven by the sports in question) across all sports.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thanks, alex. I thought I remembered it correctly.

Reaction Score
My brother went to USAFA so I'm familiar with how the academies work. I just wasn't sure how the NCAA "accounts for" (for lack of a better term) the athletes' scholarships vis-à-vis applying them toward the NCAA's scholly limits.

On that issue, I have no idea. I believe the NCAA imposes limits as to how many players can be in uniform. I do not know if this has changed since the 70's, but a player transferring to a service academy from another D1 program had a full four years of eligibility without having to sit out a year regardless of how many years they played at the other institution.

Reaction Score
The bad PR generated wouldn't effect the schools future recruiting if the head coach were no long there in 2015 or 16 after totally underachieving with that type of super class. This would be an ideal situation for her replacement should this come to pass.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, what is UNC going to do? I feel really bad for those kids that have their heart set on playing for the Tar Heels! I have no idea how this is going to play out, but I can't imagine all parties will be happy!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This is a post I did before UNC received their "monster verbals" (Posted in December). HuskyNan, I am not trying to stir up anything, but I thought this was food for thought. Oh yeah, I am a major UNC fan

I don't know whether or not Coach Hatchell is the same way, but I do know that Carolina strives to do things the right way in their athletic department.

laughingshaq.gif

Reaction Score
they could ask a player to go prep for a year or the JUCO route until a scholarship opens up.. that happened with that Tennessee girl that signed with them this year.. and you saw how that ended up lol ..

or ask one of the less ranked recruits (the day twins ) since they're form north carolina and tuition will prob be less expensive to walk onto the team

Reaction Score
i wouldn't be surprised if someone else transfers from there either this year or next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom