OT: your favorite summer song | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: your favorite summer song

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I too was a concert-goer. Dylan at the Bushnell was my first big one. Multiple shows featuring Jimmi, Janis, Doors, The Who, Santana, The Turtles (remember them), Jefferson Airplane, Guess Who, Butterfield Blues Band, to name a few, and Cream's last US show in Providence. They threw cream pies at each other.

I was blown away by good musicianship, and Ginger Baker was simply a beast with his huge drum kit. Powerful, in complete control, driving the music where it needed to go, especially when he rolled his double base drums.
Never heard your Cream story. Beautuful.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. I understand and more, I appreciate that POV. Music is personal and however it moves you is its only point of relevance. Mine has always been different. Growing up in the middle of R & R's beginnings left me with the view that large masses of approval is a rare and significant phenomenon. That shared experience moves me (and others) on a primal, limbic brain level. A big hit for a band or writer is a bellwether moment for the creative artist. For one, as Lionel Ritchie once told Ne-Yo, all you need is 3 or 4 hit records and you're set for life. Secondly, it is the goal of most music artists to connect with as many people as possible. As a performer there is no better feeling than a full hall with everybody groovin' to you.

But on a deeper level I think I have an odd, maybe singular viewpoint. That is to say superstardom is a rare event. Rarer than any jewel, rarer than gold, rarer than genius. Again, a rare and significant phenomenon. I can count on maybe two hands the number of real superstars of music from the last century. I'm a big jazz and classical music fan now; and yeah, I sometimes laugh at the popularity of Katie Perry and Rihanna because I don't really understand it. But I recognize it for what it is, a talent that cannot be taught or learned. It seems innate, can only be cultivated, and I sometimes marvel at its affect on our culture. Okay I'm rambling. I'll stop.

Oh, don't get me wrong- if a good song is a real big hit, nothing wrong with that...! A good example is the Bobbie Gentry song I posted earlier - "Ode to Billy Joe". Great tune and a monster hit.:D

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The summer of 1985 I had to stay in a closet sized dorm room with no AC. The heat was brutal that summer.

One particular night I couldn't sleep because of the heat, and a radio station played this every hour. I'm not sure if I really like the song, or if it's more that it brings back memories of my time at uconn.

Reaction Score
The summer of 1985 I had to stay in a closet sized dorm room with no AC. The heat was brutal that summer.

One particular night I couldn't sleep because of the heat, and a radio station played this every hour. I'm not sure if I really like the song, or if it's more that it brings back memories of my time at uconn.

At first I thought it was the 1959 movie, Some Like It Hot, by Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon...LOL

temery

What?
Reaction Score
At first I thought it was the 1959 movie, Some Like It Hot, by Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon...LOL

I recently started watch some old classic movies. Casablanca, Guess Whose Coming to Dinner, etc. I never got through more than a few minutes as a kid, but seem to really like some of these oldies now.

Some Like it Hot - worth watching?

Reaction Score
I recently started watch some old classic movies. Casablanca, Guess Whose Coming to Dinner, etc. I never got through more than a few minutes as a kid, but seem to really like some of these oldies.

I watched this movie when I was may be 15-16 years old in the 80. It is a comedy and yes worth to watch if you like old movie.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Can't get enuff of Chrissy. Here was a super summer song for me in the 80s.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I recently started watch some old classic movies. Casablanca, Guess Whose Coming to Dinner, etc. I never got through more than a few minutes as a kid, but seem to really like some of these oldies now.

A wonderful screwball comedy of sex and manners. With that iconic scene with Monroe on the subway grate. To me however, the best screwball comedy was made years earlier, and that was "Bringing Up Baby" with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. Second for me was "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World". Just miles of fun and laughs. One of the best sophisticated comedies to me was "The Philadelphia Story" with Grant, Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart. OT within the OT.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Definitely. It's a 'madcap' comedy. That's probably my favorite Marilyn Monroe movie.

@JordyG I believe the subway grate scene is from The Seven Year Itch. Bringing up Baby is a great under appreciated movie. I like the Philadelphia Story as well, mostly for the great dialog which was exceptionally well delivered.

Was that your first time watching Casablanca? What did you think? It's one of my all time favorite movies. Probably second only to The Godfather.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Definitely. It's a 'madcap' comedy. That's probably my favorite Marilyn Monroe movie.

@JordyG I believe the subway grate scene is from The Seven Year Itch. Bringing up Baby is a great under appreciated movie. I like the Philadelphia Story as well, mostly for the great dialog which was exceptionally well delivered.

Was that your first time watching Casablanca? What did you think? It's one of my all time favorite movies. Probably second only to The Godfather.
Yes. The 7 Year Itch. You're of course right. Sorry. Brain fart. Some Like It Hot was of course Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis. Joe E. Brown's last line steals the movie. Lemmon was great in Mr. Roberts, The Out Of Towner's and he stole Bell, Book and Candle.

Another great and under appreciated screwball comedy is Arsenic and Old Lace with Grant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

One of my favorite movie is the The Thief of Bagdad (1940 film). I have watched at least 10 times. I still cannot believe they can make this special effects in 1940. This move won 3 Oscars in 1941.

Reaction Score
Bing Crosby - White Christmas
We will have to wait 5 more months.

Christmas-in-July-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
White Christmas was recorded in late May 1942. The original opening lines read:

The sun is shining, the grass is green,
The orange and palm trees sway.
There's never been such a day
in Beverly Hills, L.A.
But it's December the twenty-fourth,—
And I am longing to be up North—[17]

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So this is out of keeping with the bulk of this thread but this is a more modern alternative:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom