OT: You only get to choose one condiment. | The Boneyard

OT: You only get to choose one condiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On a booze filled golf weekend once, we had this debate and it took most of the weekend and got pretty heated at times.

If you could choose only one condiment to use for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

Now, read the rules carefully.

1) You can only use this condiment. You can't use it with other stuff to make other condiments (Ex: Ketchup + horseradish = cocktail sauce. The horseradish is a 2nd condiment.)

2) Remember this is breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. If you choose something that's not versatile (Ex: A-1 sauce), you're sacrificing lots of meals without a condiment.

From what I can recall, here were some of the more popular choices: Ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce, mayo, Miracle Whip, salsa, ranch dressing.

We did arrive at a consensus choice. I think you might be surprised by it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If they still made this stuff, I think this would be it for me:

inner_beauty_original_hot_sauce.gif

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would probably go with salsa. But only if I get to make my own. Most packaged salsa sucks.

If I'm making my own, it's versatile enough for breakfast with eggs, use as a spread on sandwiches and on meats for dinner.

Triple bonus points if I get to have some variations on how I make the salsa.

Another sleeper could be guacamole. Avocados are versatile and the dip, spread can be used on a bunch of different veggies or meats.

Forcing me down to salsa or guac? I'm taking homemade guacamole.

Home made because I hate onions. That's a total copout topping or addition to any food. If you need to add onions to make it better, well, make it better to begin with.

Reaction Score
I would probably go with Cholula hot sauce. Maybe the chili garlic, or just the regular. The salsa as another posters stated is actually a much more versatile choice. I'm going to guess the consensus choice at your golf outing was the ranch dressing. It could be used as a condiment on a variety of things but also could be used on a salad or with chicken wings. I do love me some Cholula though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Barbeque sauce and it's not close. I'd add myself to the hot sauce group, but that stipulation can be easily gotten around with cayenne pepper (the root spice in Franks/Texas Pete's), which is a spice, not a condiment.

Reaction Score
Gauc is not a "condiment" is it? That's like saying hummus is a condiment

Reaction Score
Think it's gotta be either salsa or hot sauce since they could be used, effectively, on everything...

Reaction Score
So if I don't choose soy sauce, can I never eat Chinese food again? Never thought of it as much of a condiment, but that's kind of a bleak future.

No matter which way you go, it's a rough task. You're always going to be a "____ guy." Maybe carry around a special holster with some tobasco sauce in it wherever you go. Put ketchup on weird things where it doesn't belong, like mashed potatoes.

Salsa is very versatile and can come in many forms so that may be the smartest option.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
definitely salsa

Reaction Score
My son has a gal pal who could make a meal out of condiments at any fast food eatery.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Grey Poupon. I use it a lot in dressings, marinades, etc. and can get by with just that on burgers and dogs if necessary.

Reaction Score
Ken's Cocktail Sauce

Stuff can make leaves, dirt and pete moss taste good;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I get to select different types (there's a wide variety of mustard types) that might swing me to mustard.

But I'm going hot sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3