OT: World Cup | Page 47 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I personally favor pks from the 18 (top of the box). That would be exciting as...
Here is my idea (re. pk alternatives): The team which fouls the most during the game-loses. Should cause teams to play cleaner, more cautious, favoring the offense, and leading to more goals. Combined with video replay to minimize 'flopping', it should work out nicely.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wow. What a change in fortune. After dominating the first half, huge Mexico gaff before the half that should have resulted in a pk. Then sick strike early in the second by Dos Santos. 2 goal swing. In under 5 minutes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I feel like refs are afraid to call pks now after the Brazil first round debacle.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So what's the difference? Both set up 20 yards out and try to score.
In soccer, the goalie guesses which way to defend the shot. The tolerance for error is very small. Football the defense can "guess" too technically, but the defense has the advantage because of the short field.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
what a strike from Sneijder!! That penalty was placed perfectly

Reaction Score
In soccer, the goalie guesses which way to defend the shot. The tolerance for error is very small. Football the defense can "guess" too technically, but the defense has the advantage because of the short field.

Just remember, some teams settle for field goals.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ref certainly wasnt afraid at the end

True. He managed to get both calls wrong. That was one most expertly executed dives I've ever seen there at the end. Robben is certainly a master.

Reaction Score
Anyone bite anyone lately? Or has anyone fallen down in obvious life ending pain only to score 2 minutes later? LOL

Reaction Score
True. He managed to get both calls wrong. That was one most expertly executed dives I've ever seen there at the end. Robben is certainly a master.
Maybe, but Robben gets fouled often without any call. At some point when looking at the ref or raising both arms in the air, gets you nowhere, you embellish even the slightest of contacts. The contact may not be nearly as definitive as the 'flop' suggests, but it may still be a foul.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Maybe, but Robben gets fouled often without any call. At some point when looking at the ref or raising both arms in the air, gets you nowhere, you embellish even the slightest of contacts. The contact may not be nearly as definitive as the 'flop' suggests, but it may still be a foul.

That was not even a foul. He barely made contact. Very insignificant from this perspective.

What makes it difficult to call, is the criticality of that point in the match. I do believe you have to be discerning in the last 5min + inj time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I do think he was tripped. But he sold it. Penalty.

He was hardly touched there. He practically fell out of thin air. In fact, he could have easily stayed on his feet imo. From one particular camera angle, you can see it was the mother of all swan dives.

In the first half, he got crushed TWICE on the same play with no call. Which was a clear penalty.

It was bad both ways imo.

Reaction Score
That was not even a foul. He barely made contact. Very insignificant from this perspective.

What makes it difficult to call, is the criticality of that point in the match. I do believe you have to be discerning in the last 5min + inj time.
Disagree. There was contact and it was embellished by Robben. But there was contact on a player and a play that could have resulted in a goal. There is no need to discern or to grade contact and grade fouls. If it impedes the offensive player, it is a foul. I also think that Mexico was fouled and should have had a penalty in the first half. They are judgement calls. You should not have to be carted off the field and taken to the hospital to get a call.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Disagree. There was contact and it was embellished by Robben. But there was contact on a player and a play that could have resulted in a goal. There is no need to discern or to grade contact and grade fouls. If it impedes the offensive player, it is a foul. I also think that Mexico was fouled and should have had a penalty in the first half. They are judgement calls. You should not have to be carted off the field and taken to the hospital to get a call.

Contact is not enough. There's always contact in the box. Otherwise, there would be 10 penalty shots every game. And most of them at the end. If a ref doesn't be somewhat discerning, it becomes a joke.

That's why you are also seeing "Ajen Robbin dives to win the game for the Dutch". All over the internet.

Here's a Vine of the penalty. He barely gets his toe stepped on. If this is a penalty, then I take back my previous statement. There would be 20 pks a game. Not 10.

http://www.businessinsider.com/arjen-robben-dives-2014-6

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It was the motion by the defender that made the selling credible. The guy stepped in late and stomped his foot right in front of the attackers leg. PK will be given most of the time in that spot.

There wasn't enough contact to cause the response, but if you swing your arm down in BB you will draw a foul whether it was all ball or not. Bad and undisciplined move by the defender.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Here's a Vine of the penalty. He barely gets his toe stepped on. If this is a penalty, then I take back my previous statement. There would be 20 pks a game. Not 10.

Mexico had it coming the rest of the second half after dos santos goal...they sat back and didnt create anything, yeah they had a few chances but Holland was relentless and it paid off...the defense wasnt great and robben kept attacking and beating them, he performed a great move on the end line, marques was late and put it on the ref... great game but mexico stopped after their goal and it wouldve been over way before if it wasnt for ochoa

Reaction Score
Contact is not enough. There's always contact in the box. Otherwise, there would be 10 penalty shots every game. And most of them at the end. If a ref doesn't be somewhat discerning, it becomes a joke.

That's why you are also seeing "Ajen Robbin dives to win the game for the Dutch". All over the internet.

Yea, and we all know the internet is never wrong.
Look, how do you discern if the contact was enough? The toe stepped on? That is enough if you are moving very fast and are off balance. You are off balance because you are attempting to evade defenders. If that sequence results in you falling over, then it is a foul.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yea, and we all know the internet is never wrong.
Look, how do you discern if the contact was enough? The toe stepped on? That is enough if you are moving very fast and are off balance. You are off balance because you are attempting to evade defenders. If that sequence results in you falling over, then it is a foul.

Will respond to all of these after Costa game, but I'd also like to point out that Robben also had lost control of the ball on that last touch.

He knew it, and executed a perfect 10 Swan dive.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Campbell was just impeded in the box. By some peoples' definitions here, that's a pk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom