OT: Women's Soccer World Cup | The Boneyard

OT: Women's Soccer World Cup

Reaction Score
The women's national soccer team will get back in action tomorrow in the She Believes Cup against Japan. England and Brazil follow and then a string of games leading up to the World Cup in France beginning in June.
I know many UConn fans also enjoy the women's soccer game and its number one ranked team. The link to the schedule: https://www.ussoccer.com/schedule-tickets. Enjoy.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
HUGE fan. This will be the greatest U.S. lineup ever assembled.

GO USA! Let's win another one.

Reaction Score
HUGE fan. This will be the greatest U.S. lineup ever assembled.

GO USA! Let's win another one.

It certainly will be the deepest. I mean, we will have Mallory Pugh, Carli Lloyd, Sam Mewis, and Tierna Davidson....off the bench. I'm just really concerned about the GK position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep, like a major league baseball team with a double A level starting catcher, not to mention a Sally League level Manager/Coach.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2-2 final against Japan. A couple poor letdowns on defense and not enough ruthlessness in the attack. Played pretty good box to box, but had weaknesses in both boxes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was able to see only the last 15' of the game.

The recap can be found here

U.S. women settle for draw in SheBelieves Cup opener with Japan

Still, what is not mentioned in the article was that with the score 2-1 US in the 83' or so when one of the Assistant referee's was injured (hobbled with a cramp ?) .

Instead of replacing her with an alternate (which they have), they took about 10' to get her well enough to continue while the players were forced to stand around in very cold conditions.

2 minutes later, Japan splits our defense and poof.

I know it is not an excuse for our defensive lapses but that should not happen.

Anyway, I am not very confident in our team. France at home is a strong favorite and 4 or 5 other teams could beat us if we are not on the very top of our game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For the soccer fans, US vs England is now playing on FOX. 4:30-7PM

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Started a 'rookie' goal keeper No Int. CAPS Adrianna Franch.

After a Megan Rapinoe goal, Franch gave up an indirect free kick by
using her hands on a tap back from her team. England then scored.

And in the 54', a week defense and uninspired goal tending led to a go ahead goal.

This team is looking less and less like a World Cup threat.

Maybe Ellis has a bit of Holly in her since her explanations always sound the same to me? :(:(

Update. US scores in a scrum of offensive pressure in the box in the 67'. 2-2. :)

Update. Ends 2-2. US from about minute 80 threw everything at England to try to break the tie. A ton of pressure but few real chances. Lots of effort though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
France look by far the strongest team atm and are my favourites to win the WC.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The US had tremendous back line defense four years ago. Then the coaches couldn’t let well enough alone. Moved a defender to midfield, brought a front-line player back. Combine that with an injury and a retirement, now their back line is quite porous. And they don’t have a great keeper to clean it up.

Unless a miracle happens in the next couple of months, I could see them finishing out of the medals.

I missed the beginning — was there an explanation why Naeher wasn’t playing and why Harris, the backup, wasn’t playing in her stead?

Reaction Score
The women's national soccer team will get back in action tomorrow in the She Believes Cup against Japan. England and Brazil follow and then a string of games leading up to the World Cup in France beginning in June.
I know many UConn fans also enjoy the women's soccer game and its number one ranked team. The link to the schedule: https://www.ussoccer.com/schedule-tickets. Enjoy.
I am also a huge fan and, so far, we have no reason to believe the USWNT is good enough to win the WC. We have an enormous deficit in a crucial position; goaltending. We are also a bit unsettled by injuries; Becky did re-appear yesterday in the second half ( good sign ); and Horan will be out a while longer. I still believe we do not have the optimum usages defined for the talent. Specifically, I think Mallory Pugh is one of our finest offensive weapons and yet she is mostly lost running around in the middle of the pitch. And Press is always disrespected. I understand the problem; Morgan, Rapino and Heath are also great. Oh well, that's why Jil gets the big bucks. Figure it out. But, at this moment, we are not consistently good.

Reaction Score
The US had tremendous back line defense four years ago. Then the coaches couldn’t let well enough alone. Moved a defender to midfield, brought a front-line player back. Combine that with an injury and a retirement, now their back line is quite porous. And they don’t have a great keeper to clean it up.

Unless a miracle happens in the next couple of months, I could see them finishing out of the medals.

I missed the beginning — was there an explanation why Naeher wasn’t playing and why Harris, the backup, wasn’t playing in her stead?
Yes. Naher had a shoulder injury. Supposedly.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Started a 'rookie' goal keeper No Int. CAPS Adrianna Franch.

After a Megan Rapinoe goal, Franch gave up an indirect free kick by
using her hands on a tap back from her team. England then scored.

And in the 54', a week defense and uninspired goal tending led to a go ahead goal.
And wouldn't be surprised if she didn't get anymore caps for quite some time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom