OT: Windows Phone 8 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Windows Phone 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The two largest cable box providers in the US are Cisco and Motorola/Google. This is not an accident

Google: Set Top Box King?

>> Google TV is a great example of a product that was choked by the set top box monopoly. So what would Google do with its new presence in the living room if this deal goes through<<

These guys want to offer XBox tupes of solutions. with WiFI and cable modem. Large HD for home cloud storage

Google doesn't give one hoot about fragmentation. If you've seen the growth of mobile phones for the next 5 years it's a moot point. Apple 275%, Microsoft 900%, Android 100%

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Google's tears over fragmentation equals Intel's tears for the short-lived 486 chip. With business doubling year over year no one much cares about the feelings of the tweakers.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know if they're crappy, they're just plasticky. The back covers are literally thin plastic sheets that you pry off with your fingernail - saves weight, saves money, doesn't inspire confidence. If you grab a high end HTC or Nokia phone, they're worlds' different in terms of quality. Of course, those two companies are losing their asses and Samsung and Apple are cashing all the checks.

My biggest problem with Samsung is their customer service. As a business owner who has to deal with several dozen people and their phones, there's nothing quite like being stuck in the boot loop of WTF when a Samsung phone on the Verizon network requires warranty replacement.

Apple and ATT will replace anything at any time for almost any reason. (I ran my personal iPhone 4S through the washing machine...I was honest with Apple and they replaced it.) Blackberry, although we no longer use them, used to replace phones they really were not obligated to.

Samsung, however, tries to push you back to the carrier for everything. The carrier, especially Verizon, pushes you back to Samsung. After a half-dozen phone calls, you might be asked to send the phone to a Samsung repair center in Texas. Once the phone goes there, it stays there for two weeks and comes back (at your expense) with a note stating something to the effect of "warranty schmaranty, we're not fixing it." It has happened more times to us than you can count on one hand.

It's a shame, really - I have a Samsung TV and love it. I have a Samsung ultra book and like it quite a bit. I even like the Galaxy Note, as ridiculous as a phone shaped like a pop tart is, but if I were someone who just carried one phone over a two-year contract, I would not buy a Samsung. They don't back it.

Reaction Score
Huh, u realize Samsung has revenues close to 10 times what Google has?

it was an off the cuff remark, I haven't looked at the financials

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The last Nexus did not have Gorilla Glass - I don't know if the next version will. Not sure it matters or not - you can scratch anything if you're careless enough.

I think W8 phones and tablets will do very well in the enterprise. IT will love them.

I think so too. They will take most of RIMMs remaining share. The slowdown on WP7 in the enterprise was the lack of native encryption, which removed them from the list at my company. WP8 is set to come back on. Android is off. It's a security breach waiting to happen. Android, for better or worse, is a pure consumer platform. WP8 will gain some share against Android and RIMM, maybe a tiny bit from Apple. Apple was smart to play nice in the enterprice space with the 4, and sales and execs love iPads. But they might like Win8 tablets too.

My challenge with the iPhone is that the screen is too small, even on the 5, and there are no usable "office" apps. Looking at Word documents in track changes mode is what I need to do. If I can do it on a Nokia 920, and I can, it will be far more useful than my iPhone for work. For play, maybe less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom