OT: Will floods in Columbia, SC, affect recruiting. . . | The Boneyard

OT: Will floods in Columbia, SC, affect recruiting. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . at USC-E?

FWIW, I hope it doesn't.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe SC can offer lodging to the families of the recruits to help them out during the floods. And then lock them up and not let them leave.

Reaction Score
While I agree with msf22b, it may be a while before Coach Staley and the other coaches at USC can schedule an on campus visit.

It was very nice to hear about the thousands of students who have volunteered with the cleanup and recovery efforts; A life experience beyond anything taught in the classroom.

HGN

Reaction Score
If you're talking personally , many lives will indeed be affected. And many lives and property were lost. And our sympathy goes out to those persons and families.

But if you're strictly talking BB , I doubt the flooding will affect anything in South Carolina other than the Highway and Department of Transportation budget for the year. Recruiting will go on as usual.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To echo HGN’s sentiments, many prayers & concern to the families and loved ones effected by this disaster across the entire state of South Carolina. Basketball, recruiting, and taxes to repair the broken dams and roads must take a back seat as they try and piece their lives back together.

HGN

Reaction Score
To echo HGN’s sentiments, many prayers & concern to the families and loved ones effected by this disaster across the entire state of South Carolina. Basketball, recruiting, and taxes to repair the broken dams and roads must take a back seat as they try and piece their lives back together.
No question about it CoCo................For example , if a recruits family home was destroyed or damaged by flood waters I doubt that recruit is thinking about any coach or school. But only about the welfare and safety of Mom and Dad. Other than that recruiting goes on.

Unfortunately sometimes , its the nature of the beast.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
No question about it CoCo......For example , if a recruits family home was destroyed or damaged by flood waters I doubt that recruit is thinking about any coach or school. But only about the welfare and safety of Mom and Dad. Other than that recruiting goes on.

Unfortunately sometimes , its the nature of the beast.

I doubt that very few, if any, SC recruits in flooded areas of SC, especially Columbia.

My concern was about such things as visits (official or unofficial). And I never suggested that recruiting was more important than prayers for or actions taken to aid the families suffering loss of homes, vehicles, businesses, and - most tragic of all, lives.

Reaction Score
I doubt that very few, if any, SC recruits in flooded areas of SC, especially Columbia.

My concern was about such things as visits (official or unofficial). And I never suggested that recruiting was more important than prayers for or actions taken to aid the families suffering loss of homes, vehicles, businesses, and - most tragic of all, lives.

My concern was about such things as visits (official or unofficial). And I never suggested that rec
ruiting was more important than prayers for or actions taken to aid the families suffering loss of homes, vehicles, businesses, and - most tragic of all, lives.
From the news apparently there is a dam above Columbia in danger of failing. I was in the area two weeks ago and its water table is extremely high which adds to the problems of wash aways. Also, I looked at many maps, my memory is terrible, of SC and there are lakes and dams all over SC with 28 inches of rain I doubt many dams will hold. If you have lived thru a flood you'll always remember it, what we needed was people to help more than money, along with clothing and a place to lay our heads. Real Americans are the best in digging in and helping . When the chips are down count on an American he will help--not for money or glory --just to be a great neighbor. At least that was my experience.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I know this disaster is more important to you than the recruiting--just to keep it from being O.T. I was there a few weeks ago looking at housing and what struck me was the very very high water table all around from Geenville (Clemson area), to Columbia to Florence.
The dam above Columbia and USC is apparently in danger of failing. I survived a floor of historic proportions (for the area), my sister's house was washed away, and that of many neighbors. The factory in which I worked was in the path of the major water. It took weeks to get to the factory to start the clean up process, no pay then. Immediately we jumped (relatives all) and entered the moved house and removed anything usable. Red Cross was not great, Salvation Army was a major help. Citizens from all over donated food clothing etc. The memories of the flood are bad with the loss of life and life style items--but the strongest memory is the help and difference just every day Americans made no pay expected or wanted just being needed meant more to them than money. American are truly great when the chips are down..
Disaster victim need to know you care much more than your money...

I wish I could post a five star instead of just hitting the "LIKE" button. *****

I'll do the next best thing - donate $$ to the Salvation Army - in your honor.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
. . . at USC-E?

FWIW, I hope it doesn't.

No; yes, the flooding was bad, but the University and downtown are on a hill so no flooding there. There are plenty of problems, but the main issue downtown right now is water restoration, which will just be a couple more days.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
From the news apparently there is a dam above Columbia in danger of failing. I was in the area two weeks ago and its water table is extremely high which adds to the problems of wash aways. Also, I looked at many maps, my memory is terrible, of SC and there are lakes and dams all over SC with 28 inches of rain I doubt many dams will hold. If you have lived thru a flood you'll always remember it, what we needed was people to help more than money, along with clothing and a place to lay our heads. Real Americans are the best in digging in and helping . When the chips are down count on an American he will help--not for money or glory --just to be a great neighbor. At least that was my experience.

The dam at Lake Murray above Columbia is not in danger of failing. The dams that have failed were on neighborhood lakes that string along one of the creeks where over 20" of rain fell. The flooding was bad in that area and along other creeks. 2 people drowned about 6 blocks from me, but luckily I'm high and dry. Always check flood maps before buying a home and stay far away from flood zones.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately many of those people who lost homes to the flood most likely don't have flood insurance because they were not in flood zones and a flood event was extremely unlikely. I expect many will be unable to afford a new home and thus will have to live the remainder of their years in trailers. It is tragic beyond imagination and made worse because it happened in a state that is unsympathetic to the struggling.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately many of those people who lost homes to the flood most likely don't have flood insurance because they were not in flood zones and a flood event was extremely unlikely. I expect many will be unable to afford a new home and thus will have to live the remainder of their years in trailers. It is tragic beyond imagination and made worse because it happened in a state that is unsympathetic to the struggling.

If you truly belief this you could set up a Social Site to try to collect fund to provide all those who will be without homes --to at least have a down payment. It seems least to be done. Compassion seems to be your strong suit.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If you truly belief this you could set up a Social Site to try to collect fund to provide all those who will be without homes --to at least have a down payment. It seems least to be done. Compassion seems to be your strong suit.
If I had the ability I'd do it. My days of being a shaker and a mover are behind me. And I can barely navigate through a computer never mind figure out how to set up an online social site. I wish I had the energy of Jimmy Carter. Whatever anyone may think of his presidency, he certainly has demonstrated the effort of human compassion following his presidency.

There are a lot of charities that offer this type of help but the problem is overwhelming. During the anniversary of Katrina there were a few specials I watched about people who survived Rita and still have not received any government help.

I don't blame the government entirely. There are just too many problems and not enough resources in spite of what we think. And of course there is disagreement on how to allocate the resources we have. Fortunately in addition to charities and churches most people have family and friends that offer some modicum of help. The people who suffered through Rita have shelter. It just isn't the same as having their own homes.

HGN

Reaction Score

Never said you said it was Kibitzer...... I only made the statement in general terms.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
From my knowledge.. We have no officials until November (my mind is obviously elsewhere, but I don't recall any).. We have a big football game versus LSU this weekend that may get moved. That's relevant because basketball recruits often attend football games during visits. So unless there was an unofficial this weekend then this probably won't effect our recruiting at all..

Natural disasters can occur anywhere... Some areas are prone to one type while others are prone to another. California lives under the constant threat of earthquakes.. Texas and Oklahoma are constantly bracing for tornadoes.. In the south, we learn about hurricane preparedness in elementary school... Up north, y'all deal with snowstorms and even the occasional tropical storm..

Reaction Score
Here we are three weeks shy of "celebrating" the arrival of Sandy (October 29, 2012) which flooded, and in many cases destroyed, whole neighborhoods in NJ, NY, and Connecticut. Lives were lost. In places people are still trying to complete repairs on their homes and businesses.

New Orleans is re-inventing neighborhoods ten years after Katrina. People are displaced, and killed by tornados all across the heart of the country, and wildfires take homes and lives regularly in the west.

Now for South Carolina, and in other portions of the deep south, flood waters are taking lives and destroying homes and memories.

To quote SCGamecock "Natural disasters can occur anywhere..." and it is at times like this that the rivalry that takes place between sports teams on every level, is (for a while at least) not so very important.

In the insane rivalry that exists between Auburn and the Crimson Tide their most poignant moment may have come when Auburn students travelled to Tuscaloosa to help their "hated rivals" dig out from the deadly twister that ran through town and campus.

As has been suggested, sooner or later we all have to suffer in the elements, and right now our team's winter WBB contest is less important than hoping that the people of SC can recover as quickly as possible.

Later, when they have done their best to put things back to "normal", we'll beat their girls team by twenty, but that will only be sport, and not life and death.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm pretty disappointed about the game moving, but with roads still closed in some places and traffic control needed in other places, it's the only sensible thing to do. It would have been tough enough to beat them in Columbia and will be that much tougher in Baton Rouge.

Reaction Score
If I had the ability I'd do it. My days of being a shaker and a mover are behind me. And I can barely navigate through a computer never mind figure out how to set up an online social site. I wish I had the energy of Jimmy Carter. Whatever anyone may think of his presidency, he certainly has demonstrated the effort of human compassion following his presidency.

There are a lot of charities that offer this type of help but the problem is overwhelming. During the anniversary of Katrina there were a few specials I watched about people who survived Rita and still have not received any government help.

I don't blame the government entirely. There are just too many problems and not enough resources in spite of what we think. And of course there is disagreement on how to allocate the resources we have. Fortunately in addition to charities and churches most people have family and friends that offer some modicum of help. The people who suffered through Rita have shelter. It just isn't the same as having their own homes.

Sorry to hear that you are incapable of physically assisting your neighbors in their time of need. America has gotten to think the GOVERNMENT MUST do everything is naive. The only real help is Americans helping neighbors. The successes of recovery happens when even those devastated dig in and make their OWN recovery happen--waiting for the Government never worked.

Unheralded Menonite decent everyday church going people started on day one of Rita/Katrina , cleaning up, then rebuilding and feeding, now even today they are in New Orleans helping those who are willing to work to rebuild their city.

I lived through a very disasterous flood and the fact of life is the "CHARITIES" were, except for Salvation ARMY, not much REAL help.
Normal everyday generous hardworking men and women digging in and willing to do the dirty work help the most. And every day I say thank you Americans --you truly are different.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that you are incapable of physically assisting your neighbors in their time of need. America has gotten to think the GOVERNMENT MUST do everything is naive. The only real help is Americans helping neighbors. The successes of recovery happens when even those devastated dig in and make their OWN recovery happen--waiting for the Government never worked.

Unheralded Menonite decent everyday church going people started on day one of Rita/Katrina , cleaning up, then rebuilding and feeding, now even today they are in New Orleans helping those who are willing to work to rebuild their city.

I lived through a very disasterous flood and the fact of life is the "CHARITIES" were, except for Salvation ARMY, not much REAL help.
Normal everyday generous hardworking men and women digging in and willing to do the dirty work help the most. And every day I say thank you Americans --you truly are different.
Sorry to hear about your personal tragedy. Agree neighbors should help neighbors and the state and it's residents are rallying! I'm currently helping my neighbors. The wife was admitted to hospital Sunday. Running errands, helping out with jobs around house, going to hospital, getting clarification of medical issues because husband struggles and so forth. Lots of stuff I need to get done on back burner.

Another friend just had surgery. Will call tomorrow and offer help. A third party just received bad news. My wife and I spent last evening with her to elevate her spirits.

Hated posting this stuff but felt compelled to set the record straight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34