OT: What is the Effect of a Potential Baylor University Football Team Scandal | The Boneyard

OT: What is the Effect of a Potential Baylor University Football Team Scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not much, IMO. The scandal at Syracuse had zero effect on its other programs, and some are among the best in the country (women's bball, men's and women's lacrosse).

Reaction Score
As above: nada.

I also doubt Briles' job is in serious jeopardy, unless they find proof of him being actively involved in a cover-up or something similarly egregious.
Coaching a consistent BCS championship contender trumps other considerations like paying attention to what your players do off the field.

Reaction Score
It will affect funding of the non revenue sports if the Bears are not able to maintain its elite status. But only to the point of there being less of the huge pot shared with Baylor. Their national runners up women's golf team last year was composed almost entirely of international players, their top player hailing from England. Less money might compel them to recruit exclusively within the CONUS. Even that is a worst case scenario. Overall effect, little to none.

Reaction Score
As above: nada.

I also doubt Briles' job is in serious jeopardy, unless they find proof of him being actively involved in a cover-up or something similarly egregious.
Coaching a consistent BCS championship contender trumps other considerations like paying attention to what your players do off the field.

There was a recent story about two Alabama players getting arrested for guns and drugs with little talk at all about possible negative ramifications regarding the football program or of Coach Saban. So, you are absolutely right.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not too very long ago I said I smelled something foul going on at Baylor. I said so a few times in separate posts and asked if anyone else was getting a whiff. I thought however it was on the women's side. Clearly the odor was going up the wrong nostril.

Reaction Score
This SI article views this issue in much more detail

Baylor could take action to protect bottom line

"That question, and the financial implications contained within its cousin Would I pay for my daughter to go to Baylor?, is why no one should assume football victories will keep anyone off the hook. The regents know that every time more ooze drips from this story, more parents ask that question. If prospective student deposits at Missouri plummeted because the school suddenly became PCU, how much will this situation affect Baylor’s enrollment in the future? If parents are worried the school takes a lax attitude toward rape and other violence against women, are they going to be willing to fork over more than $54,000 a year in tuition, room and board?"

Reaction Score
Kenneth Starr reportedly fired

:eek: So I guess the stench arising from the scandal was too much to ignore, but surprising nonetheless.
No word on Briles though. He shouldn't survive this, but then again no one's talking of firing him at this point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

:eek: So I guess the stench arising form the scandal was too much to ignore, but surprising nonetheless.
No word on Briles though. He shouldn't survive this, but then again no one's talking of firing him at this point.
If Briles stays after the investigation/review by their legal firm, then IMO it's just because the regents felt firing Starr would be perceived as a bigger response, while still protecting the football program

Reaction Score

:eek: So I guess the stench arising from the scandal was too much to ignore, but surprising nonetheless.

I didn't know that Ken Starr of Bill Clinton Impeachment fame was the man in charge at Baylor, interesting.......................I guess it would be fitting for the president of the university to get fired first rather then the football coach.......................Baylor sure seem to have it's priorities in order..........................

Reaction Score
I didn't know that Ken Starr of Bill Clinton Impeachment fame was the man in charge at Baylor, interesting........I guess it would be fitting for the president of the university to get fired first rather then the football coach........Baylor sure seem to have it's priorities in order......
If you thought what went on at Penn State was a juicy story, just look at what happened at Baylor with the MCBB team about ten years ago with one of the players being murdered while coach pretended to be another's father to front run the NCAA investigation.

Reaction Score
If you thought what went on at Penn State was a juicy story, just look at what happened at Baylor with the MCBB team about ten years ago with one of the players being murdered while coach pretended to be another's father to front run the NCAA investigation.
Ahhh... Good ole Dave Bliss, former MBB coach at my alma mater Oklahoma, before he went on to have pay-the-players scandals at SMU and Baylor, in addition to his Baylor fake-drug-dealer/murder coverup scandal.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mulkey is the shining light at Baylor. Anything Briles does will have zero effect on the women's program.

Reaction Score
Yikes...................my timing with this thread was impeccable for a change.....................................

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yikes....my timing with this thread was impeccable for a change.......

I missed this thread on Sunday evening and saw it at lunch. I was going to respond to your post about this kind of pervasiveness eventually wearing away at an institution and was promptly called into a meeting. Now this! Like you, I was not aware that Ken Starr was that Ken Starr.
We'll see what else comes from this....

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What got Ken Starr and Coach Briles in trouble (then fired) was their documented indifference to frequent charges (plus a couple major convictions) of sexual assault by football players. The Board of Regents of this Baptist University apparently sensed that many Texas mothers would be asking themselves, "Do I want my daughter to enroll at Baylor?," and answering, "No."

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Well, they are now. Here's the ESPN report below. This report must be so damning that the board of regents decided it had to take this action.

Think it's safe to say that the two basketball programs led by Ms. Mulkey and Mr. Drew will now be the featured players for the athletics program while the football program starts over. BTW, Where does the athletic director fall out in all of this?

Baylor Bears dismiss football coach Art Briles

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, they are now. Here's the ESPN report below. This report must be so damning that the board of regents decided it had to take this action.

Think it's safe to say that the two basketball programs led by Ms. Mulkey and Mr. Drew will now be the featured players for the athletics program while the football program starts over. BTW, Where does the athletic director fall out in all of this?

Baylor Bears dismiss football coach Art Briles

So what do you think, should I ask the question at the top of the thread again?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Briles had to go. His lack of action was inexcusable and cannot be tolerated. I hate to say it, but I hope he is never allowed to coach in the NCAA again.

Reaction Score
Pretty damning accusations made in the report. it wasn't just inadequate oversight but a seeming total absence of control .
Snippets from the Findings of Fact:

The choices made by football staff
and athletics leadership, in some instances, posed a risk to campus safety and the integrity of the
University.
In addition, some football coaches and staff took improper steps in response to
disclosures of sexual assault or dating violence that precluded the University from fulfilling its
legal obligations.
Football coaches
and staff took affirmative steps to maintain internal control over discipline of players and to
actively divert cases from the student conduct or criminal processes.
Leadership in football and the athletics department did
not set the tone, establish a policy or practice for reporting and documenting significant
misconduct.
...reinforced an overall perception that football was above the rules, and
that there was no culture of accountability for misconduct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger