OT: What are some of your favorite scenic Fall drives ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: What are some of your favorite scenic Fall drives ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Natalie Novosel had a great one in the 2012 Big East Championship game. Oscar-worthy.

Oh, you said drives????????????????

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Or is it a bump to show off your obnoxious new avatar?

1) Actually its not new....... my avatar repping one of my favorite teams has its been up for over a week. 2) It cant be that obnoxious, as you are the first person to comment on it 3) no mods have asked me to remove it........ if you want... you can pm a mod and I will change it. 4) it actually is the first day of fall..... and I'm planning a few road trips and bumped the thread for possible suggestions.

Not so happy-go-lucky this morning ?

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
1) Actually its not new.. my avatar repping one of my favorite teams has its been up for over a week. 2) It cant be that obnoxious, as you are the first person to comment on it 3) no mods have asked me to remove it... if you want... you can pm a mod and I will change it. 4) it actually is the first day of fall..... and I'm planning a few road trips and bumped the thread for possible suggestions.

:rolleyes:

Maybe Waquoit is/was a Whalers fan.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is really in CT, VT, Western Mass, and NH to find a bad local road to drive on in the fall. Love Eastern CT from coast to Mass, Lover the Berkshires and most of western Mass and Northwestern CT. There is a section of rte 16 from Ossippee to Conway that is just spectacular, and any road north out of North Conway with the Presidential range in the distance is glorious. The roads on either the VT or NH side of the Connecticut River and on the other side of VT between NY and VT up to and past Lake Champlain. Just pick a destination and choose the rural routes and you really can't go wrong.

One highly recommended destination is Sherbourne Farm and Museum on the the southeastern shore of lake Champlain - the museum is absolutely fascinating Americana and the farm is spectacular with great produce.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One highly recommended destination is Sherbourne Farm and Museum on the the southeastern shore of lake Champlain - the museum is absolutely fascinating Americana and the farm is spectacular with great produce.

That has to one of the funkiest museums anywhere. Between the boat and circus train....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
West Point Fall Foilage.jpg
Around Hudson river valley near West Point, NY first or second week in October

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For what it is worth. Pick up route 7 in New Milford, Connecticut and start driving north. Along the route is antique shops, used bookstore, and farmstands, Stop off places include Kent Falls (spectacular in the Fall), Cornwall Bridge, as well as a few other covered bridges and the nicest part of the Housatonic River. If you make it up to Mass, you can make a stop at the Norman Rockwell Museum . Read this article for more info and a reference book.

http://www.newstimes.com/opinion/article/The-other-Route-7-offers-visitors-wondrous-589254.php

You absolutely nailed my close to home fall ride. Sherman use to be a cool place to stop for lunch, but I understand the rich and famous have ruined it. Westerners don't understand when people go exuberant over fall in New England. In law school I had a buddy, married, from Arizona and one fall Monday we had a class together and I asked how the week end was. He said fine, fine but weird. How so? He took his wife on a fall foliage route. So, I say?? Well, she said she was having a good time, but she just kept crying! He asks why do you keep crying? "It's so beautiful. So beautiful. I had no idea it is so beautiful." She also cried when she stood in her first snow fall - my wife and I were there for that, at a big early mall and I bought Don McLeans American Pie Album. Don't know what I had for dinner, but remember that night in detail. Life's funny, huh?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That has to one of the funkiest museums anywhere. Between the boat and circus train....
Absolutely - Electra Havemeyer Webb, an in-law of 'those' Vanderbilts grew up with parents who collected European and Asian fine arts. She supposedly returned from a motoring trip around the US with a collection of cigar store indians she had purchased along the way much to the dismay of her family. As she became know as an eccentric collector people from all over the country would contact her when some historic building was about to be destroyed for newer development and she bought many of them and had them transported to the Vermont property.

Reaction Score
Rt 33 from Westport, Ct to Ridgefield,Ct absolutely beautiful. The road is really narrow and winding but the scenery is worth it.

Reaction Score
Goshen and Litchfield beautiful also really an interesting drive. Up hill most of the way but what views. There used to be a llama farm,that was awhile ago . We are so lucky to live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country, short drives compared to other areas of the country!

Reaction Score
In Vermont, Rte 2 from Marshfield to St J. and Rte 232 through the Groton State Forest (take the access road to a short hike to Owls Head for a spectacular foliage scene). In NY, Rte. 86 from Saranac Lake to Paul Smiths. There was a spot I marveled at where an entire hillside of Tamarac in golden hue was absolutely stunnig. Many years ago I traveled the Blue Ridge Pkwy in the fall and it was beautiful.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I was in Vermont a couple of weeks ago. While the colors had not begun to turn, it was clear that there was much to see when they do. We took route 2 from Boston, heading to the Northwest.

My favorite drive was in Tennessee, on the famous "Tail of the Dragon" with my friends and in our Corvettes. This is claimed to be the curviest road in the U.S. It features 318 turns in only 11 miles. Check the several videos on YouTube of this unique road.

What an interesting thread.

Reaction Score
BigBird: Tail of the Dragon - Route 129 in Tennessee is magnificent. I love the Kancamangus highway in New Hampshire also.....almost any road in the North Conway area, including Hurricane Mountain road. Locally, try Route 49 heading north from Route 184 in North Stonington. End up at the Vanilla Beam cafe...great food and a daily impromptu car show.

BuckLucas

Bucks Are The Crux
Reaction Score
The White Mountains in Arizona. Pinetop to Springerville via Greer...

Reaction Score
I recommend the Cherohala Skyway which traverses the Great Smoky Mountains from Tellico Plains, Tennessee, to Robbins, North Carolina. It was designed and built specifically as a "scenic highway." It is located entirely within the Cherokee National Forest (TN) and the Nantahala National Forest (NC) and was designed to enhance the driver's enjoyment of high elevation scenic views. It is gorgeous in the Fall.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I recommend the Cherohala Skyway which traverses the Great Smoky Mountains from Tellico Plains, Tennessee, to Robbins, North Carolina. It was designed and built specifically as a "scenic highway." It is located entirely within the Cherokee National Forest (TN) and the Nantahala National Forest (NC) and was designed to enhance the driver's enjoyment of high elevation scenic views. It is gorgeous in the Fall.

The Cherohala has been on my radar for years.... and this might be the year I finally try it out. Debating between the Cherohala/Moonshiner 28 combo or exploring the Alleghany Highlands in VA/WV.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
First time I can ever remember this happening, but the 150 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC closed yesterday at 5pm..... TBD when it will reopen. Predictions of 6-15+ inches of rain over the weekend :eek::eek::eek: possible flooding, rockslides, downed trees... etc... Hopefully the leaves survive the weekend.

One of my favorite US Highways this time of year is US 58 in Virginia between Galax and Abingdon. In particular is the stretch between Damascus and Volney. (aka The Mighty Python) about 35 miles of curves and twists and elevation changes. It brushes the southern edge of the Grayson Highlands State Park. The New River run besides it in stretches..... also a few other creeks. The only bad thing about the road is that there arent that many places to pull off and enjoy the views or have a picnic. Once you get to Abingdon, there is a nice winery about 1 mile off the highway. Went a couple of weeks ago... and the wine was tasty, but the scenic grounds were amazing. Plenty of picnic tables and benches along the south branch of the Holston River

I was in Vermont a couple of weeks ago. While the colors had not begun to turn, it was clear that there was much to see when they do. We took route 2 from Boston, heading to the Northwest.

My favorite drive was in Tennessee, on the famous "Tail of the Dragon" with my friends and in our Corvettes. This is claimed to be the curviest road in the U.S. It features 318 turns in only 11 miles. Check the several videos on YouTube of this unique road.

What an interesting thread.

Ive read and see many videos of the Tail.... and while it does seem intriguing.... a few things about it puts it down on my lists of must try roads. I read recently that as many as 15,000 motorcylists and sports cars travel that stretch on some weekends :eek: and the speed limit is 30mph....and it doesnt have the elevation changes as some other great driving roads. I'll definitely try it out one day.... maybe a cloudy wednesday in the month of Feb or March. :cool:

Reaction Score
If you all get a chance, try the route from Chama, New Mexico and Antonito, Colorado which is Route 17. And if you have the time, take Cumbres and Toltec Railroad, a narrow gauge steam train, and you will have a great experience through the mountains. I think that elevation goes to 11,000 feet. www.cumbrestoltec.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom