OT: Whaler fans enjoy a little schadenfreude | The Boneyard

OT: Whaler fans enjoy a little schadenfreude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lawsuit filed last week alleges Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos Jr. has defaulted on more than $100 million he borrowed from a trust established for his three adult sons, the plaintiffs, who also allege the trust was used in various ways to “support the Hurricanes.”

If Karmanos has been drawing on his sons’ trust fund to keep the Hurricanes afloat, it certainly makes you question what NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said before Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Mr. Karmanos has been for some time considering whether to take on a partner,” Bettman said Monday. “There’s no issue relating to the Hurricanes.”

Lawsuit raises serious questions about Karmanos, Hurricanes’ future

Reaction Score
Things seemed to go sour with between Karmanos and his boys after his wife died from breast cancer. He remarried a younger woman and the problems have compiled. I was recently at the Hockey Hall of Fame and it took a lot of will power not to attempt to spit on the man's plaque in the great hall. I will give him this one thing and for this he does deserve to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame: As far as men who did as much as they could to advance the game of hockey in the USA at the youth level there isn't anyone I can think of that did as much if not more than Karmanos did. His Compuware organization put a lot of American kids in the position to play in the NHL at a time where that wasn't a common occurrence.

Reaction Score
Scumbag Wiesel...someone should tell our car wash guy down there to slash his tires when he pulls through in his Mercedes.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
but I thought Carolina was a perfect market for a NHL team... how could anyone lose money there?! :eek:

Reaction Score
but I thought Carolina was a perfect market for a NHL team... how could anyone lose money there?! :eek:

This completely baffles me. Atlanta floundered, Phoenix is reeling, and Carolina is on life support. I get that the networks want markets ... but who ultimately pays the debts? I really hope Quebec gets a franchise again ... then there would only be 1 more WHL team to resurrect! :cool:

Reaction Score
This completely baffles me. Atlanta floundered, Phoenix is reeling, and Carolina is on life support. I get that the networks want markets ... but who ultimately pays the debts? I really hope Quebec gets a franchise again ... then there would only be 1 more WHL team to resurrect! :cool:

WHA* :cool:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

You know they're going to try to put another franchise in Atlanta in 5 years... I mean they've only tried it twice before... and the NHL has gone to absurd lengths to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix.

Reaction Score
Quebec and Hamilton should both have teams. Hartford would be nice, but let's be realistic here.

Reaction Score
Quebec and Hamilton should both have teams. Hartford would be nice, but let's be realistic here.

Ok I'll be realistic here; Hartford, Connecticut with Quebec City off the board is the only EC relocation candidate left standing.

Reaction Score
Hamilton with the revenue they could generate puts them in the expansion category and they have likely the most red tape out of any prospective market since they infringe on both Buffalo and Toronto markets meaning they would need to pay them indemnification fees before anything could ever happen.

Also it's been discussed that the NHL apparently has a clause with NBC that mandates no more than 25% of it's franchises be based in Canada. If QC gets a team that sinks any chance Hamilton has unless the league eventually looks to expand past 32.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems impossible the NHL could be thinking about expanding.

I went to a Panthers game this year - paid $10 to sit in the club level and there was fewer than 5k in the building to see Tampa.

Reaction Score
WHA* :cool:

Oops ... Thanks for the correction!!

images

Reaction Score
Hamilton with the revenue they could generate puts them in the expansion category and they have likely the most red tape out of any prospective market since they infringe on both Buffalo and Toronto markets meaning they would need to pay them indemnification fees before anything could ever happen.

Also it's been discussed that the NHL apparently has a clause with NBC that mandates no more than 25% of it's franchises be based in Canada. If QC gets a team that sinks any chance Hamilton has unless the league eventually looks to expand past 32.
Doesn't Hartford infringe on four other teams markets? (Bos, NYR, NYI, NJ)

Reaction Score
Doesn't Hartford infringe on four other teams markets? (Bos, NYR, NYI, NJ)

No, it's a 50 miles radius around the market. Hartford is way outside of that.
XL to TD Garden - 102
XL to MSG - 115
XL to Barclays - 119
XL to prudential - 127

The only thing is TV (which NHL cares about most).
We can't take credit for Fairfield county because that is NYR/NYI market
Springfield/Holyoke and Hartford/New Haven DMAs would be whaler territory.

Reaction Score
Fairfield County was and would also be a Whalers market, easily. If the Whalers came back, they'd likely have to be called the Connecticut Whalers, which is something the Rangers and Bruins would have a problem with.

The NHL moved south to expand the hockey fanbase. They succeeded. The #1 pick in the upcoming draft going to the Maple Leafs (Auston Matthews) is from Arizona and is said to be better than Eichel. He is 10th in the Swiss league (National League A) in scoring and he's 18 years old.

Reaction Score
I'm all for them coming back somehow.

MSG is broadcasted pretty much in FC only. So they cover NYR/NYI
Somehow we would have to strike a deal with NESN/MSG like they did when they were here. Allow broadcasts of both teams in each market.
NESN: Bruins
NESN+: Whalers
Whale on MSG++. (Cause Devils/isles are on +) I guess make a new channel to be in all of CT homes

Would also work if SNY broadcasted UConn and Whalers. (They could charge more $$$ here and still reach into NY. CSNE only have Celtics and revs. Both are always looking for more content.

PK was and still is an idiot. We would've built him a new arena, way better lease, and now he would have 4 or 5 RSN competing for the TV contract.
A WAY more lucrative one as well compared to Raleigh. ALL NHL teams share local and national TV revenue)

Check out this link that shows point by point comparison of the Hartford deal to the one he got in NC. (Great link about the whole move)

What's the Deal, Anyway?

Even IF Auston Matthews (from Scottsdale, AZ) went to the yotes
It's been proven one local talent does not save a market.

Maybe we can get the panthers when the broward county subsidy runs out in 2023. (Let's hope the XL is rebuilt by then)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Perhaps this has already been covered, but isn't fair to say that the following cities are ahead of Hartford for the NHL?

1) Seattle <--great demographic trends - no basketball competition
2) Hamilton Ont <--to create a mets/yankees rivalry with the leafs
3) Portland <--rapidly growing city
4) Quebac City <--hungrier than Hartford for ice sports
5) Hartford <--difficult to imagine this is really better than the Islanders or Devils current situation

Candidates to relocate:
a) Arizona?
b) Panthers?
c) Hurricanes
d) Devils?
e) Islanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors