OT : We may not have heard the last of this on the Penn St - NCAA punishment after all | The Boneyard

OT : We may not have heard the last of this on the Penn St - NCAA punishment after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
According to reports, the PSU Board of Trustees is having an emergency meeting this afteroon with President Erickson. The BOT is supposedly saying that President Erickson did not have the authority to sign the agreement with the NCAA without getting approval from the BOT first.

Just when you the the mess at PSU is ending and they are finally turning the corner to get this whole thing behind them....they just reignite the fire again.

This could get very ugly if the BOT pushes this any further and tries to get out of the 'agreement' with the NCAA. I have a feeling that won't happen because they would get absolutely killed in the PR department. But could you imagine if they pursue this?!:eek:

Reaction Score
According to reports, the PSU Board of Trustees is having an emergency meeting this afteroon with President Erickson. The BOT is supposedly saying that President Erickson did not have the authority to sign the agreement with the NCAA without getting approval from the BOT first.

Just when you the the mess at PSU is ending and they are finally turning the corner to get this whole thing behind them....they just reignite the fire again.

This could get very ugly if the BOT pushes this any further and tries to get out of the 'agreement' with the NCAA. I have a feeling that won't happen because they would get absolutely killed in the PR department. But could you imagine if they pursue this?!:eek:

The NCAA didn't need PSU's agreement to impose the penalties. The BoT can fire him and cause the school to sue, but the penalities don't just go away because the Board disagrees with them.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The Penn St BOT just doesn't get it. Look at this quote from a BOT member:

Some trustees said they hoped the dismantling of Paterno's statue would send a positive message to the NCAA when it considered sanctions. Little did those trustees know, Erickson already had agreed in principle by last Saturday on the "punitive and corrective" sanctions.

Really?!... you thought that taking down the Paterno statue would lessen the NCAA penalties?! :rolleyes:

And they may actually go foward with challenging this agreement:

Some trustees said they are considering a bid to overturn the consent decree in court because they don't believe Erickson had the authority to sign it.

and this one:

Another trustee said there is a growing movement among some trustees to attempt to challenge the consent decree in court.
"They've destroyed the school, as far as I'm concerned," this trustee said. "Think of the innocent players hurt by this. They had nothing to do with this and they have to pay the price."

At this point, they should just shut down the school for 5 years and start completely over!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
ESPN is saying that if PSU didn't accept the NCAA allegations they would have received a 4 year death penalty.....would this have been the more appropriate course of action? I really don't know......I do feel that cutting off football for 4 years would have been too detrimental to the economy of State College and that's too much to do.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ickson-said-school-faced-4-year-death-penalty

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Having been in favor of the death penalty previously... I get it that it would cause a lot of collateral damage to people in the area who operate businesses depending on these games. So when the NCAA announced their sanctions, I thought they got it more right than they got wrong. If the BOT, in their shortsighted rage, blows this agreement up... potentially ending up with a worse penalty... I mean... I know they've proven how stupid they can be in the past, but at what point does the stupid end?!

Reaction Score
Another trustee said there is a growing movement among some trustees to attempt to challenge the consent decree in court.
"They've destroyed the school, as far as I'm concerned," this trustee said. "Think of the innocent players hurt by this. They had nothing to do with this and they have to pay the price."

Talk about confirming the problem! For a trustee to say that by penalizing one athletic program "They've destroyed the school" indicates a complete lack of perspective. As pissed as UConn is over a far less justified punishment, I don't remember anyone indicating that it damaged, much less "destroyed", the university and its fundamental mission to actually educate students.

Reaction Score
Talk about confirming the problem! For a trustee to say that by penalizing one athletic program "They've destroyed the school" indicates a complete lack of perspective. As pissed as UConn is over a far less justified punishment, I don't remember anyone indicating that it damaged, much less "destroyed", the university and its fundamental mission to actually educate students.

This.

Reaction Score
The Penn St BOT just doesn't get it. Look at this quote from a BOT member:

Some trustees said they hoped the dismantling of Paterno's statue would send a positive message to the NCAA when it considered sanctions. Little did those trustees know, Erickson already had agreed in principle by last Saturday on the "punitive and corrective" sanctions.

Really?!... you thought that taking down the Paterno statue would lessen the NCAA penalties?! :rolleyes:

And they may actually go foward with challenging this agreement:

Some trustees said they are considering a bid to overturn the consent decree in court because they don't believe Erickson had the authority to sign it.

and this one:

At this point, they should just shut down the school for 5 years and start completely over!

"They destroyed the school", really? If a school without football isn't a school half the Big East needs to sue as well. Proves their priorities are completely out of whack.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

This is absolutely the point that so many people, especially those involved, are missing.

This mentality is what lead to the coverup of a serial monster. I know it's only been a few days, but they just don't get it

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I guess it depends whether or not the Prez had the authority to agree to give away $73 million of the university's money? Either way, it highlights the governance issues that are the root cause of all this. As for the threat from the NCAA, it was just that, a threat that the NCAA had no interest in imposing or defending. Emmert knew it, and Erickson knew it but neither could endure a fight. The NCAA had and always had what I call the "Tarkanian Hammer." They always have the threat of continued harassment. MBB knows a little about this, unless anyone thinks this APR mess is a coincidence rather than payback for mostly skating on the Nochimson business.

As for the BOT, the die has been cast, both with the NCAA and the public. Clean house if they want, but forward is the only plausible direction.

Reaction Score
As a lawyer, I do feel compelled to say one thing in favor of the BoT on this, even though I don't want to. You, as a trustee with a duty to supervise the running of the university, could be absolutely appalled by the situation and fine with the NCAA punishment and still be ballistic at the University's CEO thinking he had the power to agree to this without taking it to the Board. Having your legal authority trampled on is totally distinct from your reaction to the Sandusky cover up.

Reaction Score
As a lawyer, I do feel compelled to say one thing in favor of the BoT on this, even though I don't want to. You, as a trustee with a duty to supervise the running of the university, could be absolutely appalled by the situation and fine with the NCAA punishment and still be ballistic at the University's CEO thinking he had the power to agree to this without taking it to the Board. Having your legal authority trampled on is totally distinct from your reaction to the Sandusky cover up.

The trustees have committees. One committee is charged with executive actions. This is precisely why only the central part of the committee was told by Spanier of the Sandusky indictment well over a year ago. That committee did not relay ALL the information (i.e. the PSU involvement) to the rest of the trustees. This is why the chairman of the trustees, Garban, just resigned his position recently.

As for this recent stuff, anyone who thinks that Erickson made his decisions outside those committees is reaching. Erickson is there to protect the academic side and be the mouthpiece for the central BOT members. There are recently elected board members as well as a former PSU football player (Adam Taliaferro, you might remember him as the paralyzed football player from a few years back) who -- while nominally agreeing to some of the sanctions -- have taken to talk radio in the Philly area as they blast the BOT. Would it be a stretch to think that all of these unsourced quotes are coming from them? I think not.

Two more things. One, the trustees have specific responsibilities, but they are not quite in charge of running the university (thank God for that). However, something like a fine (anything which deals with bonds and major investments and also fines, would almost certainly include them. Major $$ and hiring a President and Provost is about the extent of their responsibilities. Oversight into university governance would not be, since that's normally negotiated between a President, Provost the Deans and faculty committees.

This story is much ado about nothing. There are maybe 50 or more trustee members, and only two (Taliaferro and Lubrano) are upset. They are recently selected and do not have power on the central committees.

I can say more such as: the entire board should resign, but since the Governor who is an enemy of PSU has a big hand in selecting the next board members, I'm not sure anything would improve. The central committees are themselves undemocratic. On the other hand, when you read about the plans for pet projects at PSU among some of these board members, you can see the wisdom. The central committee in this case was Governor appointed and had a lot of Second Mile members. The idea that they would have done otherwise when Sandusky was hanging out with the AG prior to 2008, and when Sandusky's organization gave that AG $600k in 2010 while he was under investigation, and when the 2nd Mile Board was fully apprised of Sandusky's abuses in PSU showers in both 1998 and 2001, it's hard to know for sure that Sandusky would have been stopped. Having faculty members on that oversight committee, or even the Chief of Police, would likely have been more effective.

If you have an hour to kill, there is a blow-by-blow description on a website by former trustee Ben Novak that describes the intractable problems of the PSU Board of Trustees. http://www.bennovak.net/2012/03/reflections-of-a-former-trustee/ If you read it, you will know why the culture cannot be changed, because it involves money, a little taxpayer funding, a private university foundation with a clientelist approach all with ties to the BOT, seed money for what can only be described as propagandistic research on behalf of the board and some of the corporations the board represents. It's a big problem. The call for greater oversight is admirable, but it may yield greater powers to the very people who are part of the problem.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
T
and this onAnother trustee said there is a growing movement among some trustees to attempt to challenge the consent decree in court.
!

"think of the innocent players hurt by this" is PennStatese for "i don't want to sit through a few lousy seasons"

Reaction Score
I do think that it is possible that the some members of the Board of Trustees could have been upset that the President signed this without getting their ok first. On the other hand, I'd be pretty surprised if he had not at least run it by some of the leadership, both on the board and likely in Harrisburg as well. And I actually believe that this was a deal that Penn State's leadership was happy to have "imposed" from outside rather than having to make any decisions on its own. Got everyone off the hook in a sense.

Reaction Score
ESPN is saying that if PSU didn't accept the NCAA allegations they would have received a 4 year death penalty.....would this have been the more appropriate course of action? I really don't know......I do feel that cutting off football for 4 years would have been too detrimental to the economy of State College and that's too much to do.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ickson-said-school-faced-4-year-death-penalty

These are politicians who collectively wet their fingers, saw which way the wind was blowing, and felt it necessary to say something. If they don't shut their mouths, they may find the "4 yrs" back on the table.

Reaction Score
If you have an hour to kill, there is a blow-by-blow description on a website by former trustee Ben Novak that describes the intractable problems of the PSU Board of Trustees. http://www.bennovak.net/2012/03/reflections-of-a-former-trustee/ If you read it, you will know why the culture cannot be changed, because it involves money, a little taxpayer funding, a private university foundation with a clientelist approach all with ties to the BOT, seed money for what can only be described as propagandistic research on behalf of the board and some of the corporations the board represents. It's a big problem. The call for greater oversight is admirable, but it may yield greater powers to the very people who are part of the problem.

Upstater, that article from Novak is an incredible account of what the deally yo is at PSU. Wow.

Reaction Score
Yes, indeed.

I don't know man, all I can say, is that the more I learn, the clearer it gets that the whole thing really needed to be blown up down to the ground, because from the ground up, is the only way to change it.

I fear the NCAA really screwed this up, and Erickson simply consolidated power in becoming the next dictator,and nothing will change at PSU, and nurses and janitors will continue to be afraid to speak up, about what they individually know they should speak up about, but cannot do, as part of the culture. Hopefully the sanctions are strong enough to de-emphasize football to the point where the local economy, really is suffering in coming years, because it's not going to happen quick. It's the only way people will speak out. How does a nurse be afraid to give their name when reporting an STD outbreak - because they're afraid for their job? How does a janitor be afraid to tell his superious about Jerry Sandusky becuase he's afraid for his job?

It should have been the complete shutdown for football, or nothing right now from the NCAA, and certianly no consent decreee.....and if nothing,..... and then continue with due process.

Hopefully, the sanctions are strong enough to accomplish the change, otherwise I think you were right. I think that the outcome will only end up being worse than it already is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom