OT: USWNT pay | The Boneyard

OT: USWNT pay

Reaction Score
They are so annoying. Stop this BS.

You get paid based on your value and revenue. No one cares, it's an awful product.

Women's soccer is terrible, slow, no power,can't make kicks, runs, etc.

Reaction Score
They are so annoying. Stop this BS.

You get paid based on your value and revenue. No one cares, it's an awful product.

Women's soccer is terrible, slow, no power,can't make kicks, runs, etc.

They are basing it on their value and revenue. They are hugely popular. Their ratings are 1/2 the men, and they are paid 1/10th per game.

Have you done any research on this?

They are the best team in the world.

I bet you Carly Lloyd is more popular than any American soccer playing men.

Reaction Score
They are basing it on their value and revenue. They are hugely popular. Their ratings are 1/2 the men, and they are paid 1/10th per game.

I'd pay them more, they deserve more. Not sure about equal, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if the numbers support it.

Also, FWIW. The USSF basically bankrolls the NWSL which is basically a black hole. It's not like the USSF is still funneling money to MLS.

Reaction Score
I'd pay them more, they deserve more. Not sure about equal, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if the numbers support it.

Also, FWIW. The USSF basically bankrolls the NWSL which is basically a black hole. It's not like the USSF is still funneling money to MLS.

There is some support of MLS through USSF, which is USMNT players receive a topped off salary to play there.

I agree that the whole needs to be taken into account--but ultimately, the women shouldn't be used to subsidize the men's side (as tempting as that is, because though the women don't have anyone to draw them away from the USA, the USSF probably wants to lure dual nationals with the promise of better salaries). You'd think the national teams would have boosters like Auburn does.

Reaction Score
There is some support of MLS through USSF, which is USMNT players receive a topped off salary to play there.

I agree that the whole needs to be taken into account--but ultimately, the women shouldn't be used to subsidize the men's side (as tempting as that is, because though the women don't have anyone to draw them away from the USA, the USSF probably wants to lure dual nationals with the promise of better salaries). You'd think the national teams would have boosters like Auburn does.

RE: MLS I don't believe that is true. Most of the teams are turning a profit these day. The league is at a point where it has more money than the federation.

Reaction Score
The Women's WC and total attendance was like 1/20th men's.

Can't believe Carli Lloyd had the audacity to say we deserve more because "we win."

They win for the same reasons the USMNT doesn't, the flawed USA model of thinking athlecthism matters in high level
soccer.

Women's soccer is gaining popularity internationally, though it's still not even fair to say it's reached WNBA status compared to NBA.

Did anyone watch the Olympics, the U23 men's games were jammed and the women'snteams had like 50 people in the stands.

Sorry for rant, I think the top Women's US pro team draws 2-3k/game for $10 ticket.

Reaction Score
The Women's WC and total attendance was like 1/20th men's.

Can't believe Carli Lloyd had the audacity to say we deserve more because "we win."

They win for the same reasons the USMNT doesn't, the flawed USA model of thinking athlecthism matters in high level
soccer.

Women's soccer is gaining popularity internationally, though it's still not even fair to say it's reached WNBA status compared to NBA.

Did anyone watch the Olympics, the U23 men's games were jammed and the women'snteams had like 50 people in the stands.

Sorry for rant, I think the top Women's US pro team draws 2-3k/game for $10 ticket.

Measuring the popularity of the USA women by averaging in the popularity of all the others?
I went to WC games in Montreal (Spain v. Brazil) and the stadium was 3/4 filled.

But that's irrelevant. We're talking about the USA women. They are immensely popular in the USA.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't really think they want to be treated equal. Because then they would lose their salaries. And they bring in about 1/2 the income the men's team does on a 4 year cycle. They'd be taking a big pay cut if they were treated equally on the pay issues.

However, I do think there is plenty of room for improvement on travel, accommodations, fields used, etc.

Reaction Score
I don't really think they want to be treated equal. Because then they would lose their salaries. And they bring in about 1/2 the income the men's team does on a 4 year cycle. They'd be taking a big pay cut if they were treated equally on the pay issues.

However, I do think there is plenty of room for improvement on travel, accommodations, fields used, etc.

The breakdown I saw is that they actually bring in a lot of dough, because they play more games. They are a revenue source, not a drain.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The breakdown I saw is that they actually bring in a lot of dough, because they play more games. They are a revenue source, not a drain.
Or they are a revenue source, but not at the MNT level. (over a 4 year period - when the filed they compared an off MNT year, no WC or qualifiers, with their WC year)

Reaction Score
Or they are a revenue source, but not at the MNT level. (over a 4 year period - when the filed they compared an off MNT year, no WC or qualifiers, with their WC year)

The levels of pay are very different right now. Night and day.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The levels of pay are very different right now. Night and day.
Yea I know, the WNT is getting their salaries paid by US Soccer. The men aren't. If the women want to give that up and just get the compensation for NT work (and only get it when they are called in) I don't think they are going to be as happy. That would be fair though, and that's not what they are asking for.

Reaction Score
Yea I know, the WNT is getting their salaries paid by US Soccer. The men aren't. If the women want to give that up and just get the compensation for NT work (and only get it when they are called in) I don't think they are going to be as happy. That would be fair though, and that's not what they are asking for.

The men do get salaries from USSF, the ones in MLS at least. But they are also paid per game.

Reaction Score
The men do get salaries from USSF, the ones in MLS at least. But they are also paid per game.

They get paid by USSF for some things, for playing in the World Cup and other FIFA events they get paid FIFA through the USSF as do the women.

The one thing that is really bad optics is that the men made more getting to the round of 16 than the women made winning the World Cup. This money comes from FIFA and the Women have argued that the USSF shouldn't pass on the inequality and make up the difference with USSF funds.

Reaction Score
They get paid by USSF for some things, for playing in the World Cup and other FIFA events they get paid FIFA through the USSF as do the women.

The one thing that is really bad optics is that the men made more getting to the round of 16 than the women made winning the World Cup. This money comes from FIFA and the Women have argued that the USSF shouldn't pass on the inequality and make up the difference with USSF funds.

I agree that the men did very well, and it is harder in the men's game to qualify for the elimination rounds. Therefore, if this is how things happened regularly, the women would have no beef. I don't think the USA men are at that level however.

Reaction Score
Measuring the popularity of the USA women by averaging in the popularity of all the others?
I went to WC games in Montreal (Spain v. Brazil) and the stadium was 3/4 filled.

But that's irrelevant. We're talking about the USA women. They are immensely popular in the USA.

Do the women get a cut of their endorsement and product sales (including shirts and other gear without their numbers/names)? My daughter barely pays attention to soccer she isn't playing, but she can tell you about almost everyone on the USWNT. Most girls in our program have a USWNT jersey and they are typically upgraded regularly for kit changes. My son is an odd 10 year old that can name a high percentage of the rosters of popular international teams and national teams, including earning me a beer from a German guy at a New Jersey bar that was ecstatic that he could name half the German National Team at Europa last year. He can name more USWNT players (and English, German, Spanish, Argentinian, etc.) than USMNT players.

That's where I think the argument is for the women players to get more money because they win. If stadiums are less full, and prize money is less, compared to the men, then that should impact payment. The women's success, however, leads to more outside money. I'd be surprised if the US men sold as much gear / endorsements. If they are getting a cut of that, their argument is more tenuous. Equal should mean equal split and access, not equal pay.

Separately, Alex Morgan should get a cut from any pink pretape sales.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They get salaries from USSF AND bonuses.
Duh, I'm talking about the teams they play for. Seattle Sounders or Borussia Dortmund or Western NY Flash or Houston Dash. USSF pays for the WNT's players salaries for their team. Does not do that for the MNT.

Reaction Score
Duh, I'm talking about the teams they play for. Seattle Sounders or Borussia Dortmund or Western NY Flash or Houston Dash. USSF pays for the WNT's players salaries for their team. Does not do that for the MNT.

They don't pay more though. It is their salary. It is the same thing. When the women are quoted as earning $70k a year, they don't get more money for playing in the women's league. It is part of their contract. In other words, the salary covers both.

Reaction Score
They don't pay more though. It is their salary. It is the same thing. When the women are quoted as earning $70k a year, they don't get more money for playing in the women's league. It is part of their contract. In other words, the salary covers both.

That's because there is no money in women's club soccer.

Reaction Score
That's because there is no money in women's club soccer.

Right, but you can deduct the typical club salary of $35k from the national team's $70k, and deduce that they are paid $35k plus wins-bonuses for NT play.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nope. Again you need to read that link I gave you a few posts ago.

Reaction Score
Nope. Again you need to read that link I gave you a few posts ago.

What part? I read it. What are you talking about? Max salary for the league is $35k.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What part? I read it. What are you talking about? Max salary for the league is $35k.
The women’s team’s pay is a mix of a base salary — $72,000 for the majority of players on the regular roster — plus a modest game bonus ($1,350) for each game won. (The women do not receive game bonuses if they tie or lose matches.) U.S. Soccer also pays the salaries of the national team players who compete in the N.W.S.L., the nascent American women’s professional league, as well as providing some health insurance benefits, severance pay for players cut from the team and maternity leave at half pay if they become pregnant.

The men, meanwhile, operate on a pay-for-play system: Those players who are called in for matches are eligible for roster and game bonuses considerably higher than those paid to the women, but a player must be called into camp to receive anything.

Pretty straight forward.

This was one of the problems many people had with who the WNT was calling in to camps. As some of the players got older or weren't really performing, they still got called into camp because of the "if we are paying their salaries, we ought to use them for the NT" thinking. So some of the younger up and coming players weren't called in or used because they weren't in that base salary group.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom