OT - USA 1 Italy 0 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - USA 1 Italy 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Ah, gotcha. Out of curiosity, what is meant by a "friendly"?
Casual sex with a girl you've known for a while that you're never going to date.

Reaction Score
Didn't watch (at work) but watching highlights it looked like Italy out shot/played USA. Either way we have one of the best goalies in the world and it was a step forward. (We've been on the other side a lot) It's good to see after the goal the USA d held. This is just an exhibition and we were without our best player and with a new coach. BL saying USA is terrible is way wrong yes they have struggled in some world cups but they have been successful in other tournaments and have beaten some of the best teams in the world.

Agree with some of what you said ... but I'm pretty sure our best player is the one who scored today.

Reaction Score
It was a legit goal, not a fluke. We need a USMNT game in The Rent this summer.

BTW, I can't stand Lalas. Clubhouse lawyer when he played, worst GM ever when he had a job and just a tool as a commentator. Where did he go to college?

Well played ... but they can't be that bad now that they have Donnigan ...

Reaction Score
I don't care if Italy isn't "that good" anymore. A win in Italy over Italy for the first time ever? Awesome.

I'm slowly talking myself into going to the next World Cup.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
This is one thing I don't get about you soccer guys. All the Italians and Potugese guys I work with root for Italy and Portugal if they play against the US. Despite the fact that they were born here. Always thought this was incredibly dumb.

What's wrong with that? Goes back generations when our immigrant forefathers came over and still cheered the mother country's national team. It's been passed down generation to generation.

Reaction Score
I don't care if Italy isn't "that good" anymore. A win in Italy over Italy for the first time ever? Awesome.

I'm slowly talking myself into going to the next World Cup.
The rugby World Cup is more fun to watch.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the game on DVR.

Lots to like and plenty to work on.

First big win for Klinsmann.
Dempsey, in world class form.
Bradley has moved up a level.
Good skill from a lot of the young guys, Johnson, Williams, and Spector.
Good attempts at passing from the back and holding possession in the first half.

Dislikes:

Other than the goal, little offensive possession in 2nd half.
Edu can't hold possession, at all.
Shea will contribute but still needs seasoning.
Better in the 2nd half but Altidore is still a long way from where the US needs that position to be. Too soft for such a big guy.
Long ball defense was really bad.

All in all only Edu hurt his cause going forward. Altidore and Shea showed more of the same and need to improve. Everyone else who played significant minutes made positive statements going forward.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
What's wrong with that? Goes back generations when our immigrant forefathers came over and still cheered the mother country's national team. It's been passed down generation to generation.

Other than the fact that you're American, nothing wrong with that.

I don't get it because it appears to be a soccer thing and honestly, I can't watch for more than 10 minutes. But I always, regardless of the sport, root for the USA.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I am American. I am Italian-American. I don't forget. In matters of economics, war, etc. I remain loyal to my country but in matters of sports, stuff that frankly doesn't matter much, I root for Italy.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is one thing I don't get about you soccer guys. All the Italians and Potugese guys I work with root for Italy and Portugal if they play against the US. Despite the fact that they were born here. Always thought this was incredibly dumb.

Jimmy, I happen to be one of those crazy Italian soccer guys. I have to say that I grew up watching Italian soccer. It used to be on Channel 13 out of Hartford, and I was watching Italy in the World Cups about 8 years before I even knew anyone on the US team.

Having said that, when they play a friendly like tonight, I root for nothing but a good game. When they play each other in the World Cup, I root for the US. I speak Italian and many of my family members don't speak English, but I'm still an American and this is my country's team. Anyone else, and I hope Italia crushes them 10 - 0.... ;)

Reaction Score
Agree with some of what you said ... but I'm pretty sure our best player is the one who scored today.

Yea, most people say LD is the best player but I think you are right. CD is for sure my favorite player as well as Carlos B.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think a part of the problem for many (like me and I'm guessing MattMang23) who grew up rooting for Italy in soccer, we were ridiculed for watching soccer in the first place. The game was some "weird European / South American thing", and due to that mentality from most Americans, we never really had a chance to root for the US team or players. They were hardly ever on tv, and they were a running joke. In fact, you were more likely to catch a Mexico game than you were an American game.

After the 1990 World Cup, there was a resurgence of American soccer. More and more people began to respect the sport, and more importantly, the fans of the sport. I may root for the U.S. in the matchup against Italy, unlike MattMang23 who roots for Italy, but I always feel conflicted. The Italian players are more likely to be my "soccer heroes" that I watch every week on Fox Soccer Channel. The only Americans that I can watch on a regular basis are Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard in the English Premiership. I definitely understand the "immigrant kid guilt"...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yea, most people say LD is the best player but I think you are right. CD is for sure my favorite player as well as Carlos B.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Dempsey is the greatest American player.....ever! Landon is a close second. I remember when the New England Revolution sold Dempsey, I thought to myself, "I'm never going to see a player of that quality on this squad again." Unfortunately, I'm still right about that...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
A fan of the "EPL" would tell you it's the PL. ;)

Actually, a fan of the EPL would just call it "Premiership"....I play soccer every Monday night with a bunch of Brits! :eek:

Reaction Score
I could understand italian-americans rooting for Italy if the US wasn't so obviously screwed out of a win vs Italy in the world cup a few years back. ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I could understand italian-americans rooting for Italy if the US wasn't so obviously screwed out of a win vs Italy in the world cup a few years back. ;)

Va fangoool!!! ;) Just kidding....

Reaction Score
Didn't watch (at work) but watching highlights it looked like Italy out shot/played USA. Either way we have one of the best goalies in the world and it was a step forward. (We've been on the other side a lot) It's good to see after the goal the USA d held. This is just an exhibition and we were without our best player and with a new coach. BL saying USA is terrible is way wrong yes they have struggled in some world cups but they have been successful in other tournaments and have beaten some of the best teams in the world.

I didn't say that. I don't think that.

Reaction Score
1) Call it apathy, crassness, whathaveyou... nationalism is for the birds. I root for America because its easy to identify with them as an American and I like having a rooting interest when I watch sports. But I could give two flying frisbees who anyone else roots for.

2) Whens the next Confederations Cup?

Reaction Score
A win on European soil is a good thing, regardless of who dominated the play. Granted, Italy wasn't playing their top 11 (at least not up font) due to injury or suspension, but it's still a big win for a US side struggling to find their form.The Azzurri controlled the play, but Howard came up big throughout.

Dempsey is at the top of his game. I would love to see Klinsman play him up front more. Would also like to see Donovan remain in the Premiereship. He has one more world cup left in him, and his game really does elevate when playing withe better talent around him. He had a nice run w/ Everton the past couple months.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who would like to see Feilhaber on the field?

No, you're not. I'm there with you. He is a player that, in my opinion has not been given enough time with the first team to show his stuff (and I think he has plenty of stuff). If he had the amount of time with the first team that Sasha Kleijstan had or Jermaine Jones had, you wouldn't even need to ask. I think Benny is noticeably better than those two players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom