OT - USA 1 Italy 0 | The Boneyard

OT - USA 1 Italy 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's only a friendly ... but it's been a while since they've beaten the Azzurri. Altidore held well and fed Dempsey for the winner at 55'. Hopefully the momentum builds from here.

Reaction Score
I know it's only a friendly ... but it's been a while since they've beaten the Azzurri. Altidore held well and fed Dempsey for the winner at 55'. Hopefully the momentum builds from here.

A long while... like forever

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Major fluke. Italy dominated the game. The USA is still terrible at this sport and has yet to win me over.

Reaction Score
Major fluke. Italy dominated the game. The USA is still terrible at this sport and has yet to win me over.

rolleyes1024.gif

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Well, at least this board is consistent. Winning is not as important as how a game makes us feel (apparently).

The United States got outshot 19-4. NINETEEN TO FOUR!!!!! They also were out-corner-kicked 8-2 and lost the possession battle 39%-61%.

When UConn was consistently outgained in conference play in the Edsall era, we relied on special teams, turnover margin and a power running game to overcome our athletic deficiencies at WR and other positions. True, we didn't have much margin for error and were fortunate to win so many close games, but our wins weren't flukes either. I don't see the parallelism between UConn football and this game...Italy should have won easily.

Until the United States can actually beat the likes of Ecuador (the Syracuse of South America) on a consistent basis, I will not respect this team.

Fluke.

Reaction Score
The United States got outshot 19-4. NINETEEN TO FOUR!!!!! They also were out-corner-kicked 8-2 and lost the possession battle 39%-61%.

When UConn was consistently outgained in conference play in the Edsall era, we relied on special teams, turnover margin and a power running game to overcome our athletic deficiencies at WR and other positions. True, we didn't have much margin for error and were fortunate to win so many close games, but our wins weren't flukes either. I don't see the parallelism between UConn football and this game...Italy should have won easily.

Until the United States can actually beat the likes of Ecuador (the Syracuse of South America) on a consistent basis, I will not respect this team.

Fluke.

1. It doesn't matter whether the win is a "fluke" or whether you respect them. What matters is they won the game.

2. The US got outshot and outpossessed when they beat Spain in the Confed Cup. Again, BFD and hardly rare for soccer. No one gives medals for possessions or shots -- just goals.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
1. It doesn't matter whether the win is a "fluke" or whether you respect them. What matters is they won the game.

Correct. Just don't get your hopes up that the United States will continue to win while getting outshot 19-4.

2. The US got outshot and outpossessed when they beat Spain in the Confed Cup. Again, BFD and hardly rare for soccer. No one gives medals for possessions or shots -- just goals. It is quite rare to win when you are outshot 19-4. I admit that the U.S. has a terrific goaltender, and that there are other variables that partially atone for getting dominated statistically (such as offsides penalties) but I have seen this dog & pony show by our country before. Remember Ghana in 2006? We did well vs. Italy that year, too.

Reaction Score

Talk about arguing with a strawman. Your response has nothing to do with what you were saying.

Is it usually that crowded inside your head?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Talk about arguing with a strawman. Your response has nothing to do with what you were saying. I am saying that today's win was a fluke and is not a harbringer for future success. Everything that I have stated on this thread -- except for the UConn and Ghana references -- reiterates that point. This is not a good team. Sure, the USA was missing some key players today, but so were the Azzurri.

Is it usually that crowded inside your head?

Yes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was a legit goal, not a fluke. We need a USMNT game in The Rent this summer.

BTW, I can't stand Lalas. Clubhouse lawyer when he played, worst GM ever when he had a job and just a tool as a commentator. Where did he go to college?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Azzurri aren't as good, they've been rebuilding the last few years. Too bad on the outcome. I cheer for Italy first, USA second.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
What does this have to do with Edsall?

Absolutely nothing. Couldn't help myself. If this board starts talking about chocolate chip ice cream I will find a way to get Edsall involved in the discussion.

Reaction Score
Didn't watch (at work) but watching highlights it looked like Italy out shot/played USA. Either way we have one of the best goalies in the world and it was a step forward. (We've been on the other side a lot) It's good to see after the goal the USA d held. This is just an exhibition and we were without our best player and with a new coach. BL saying USA is terrible is way wrong yes they have struggled in some world cups but they have been successful in other tournaments and have beaten some of the best teams in the world.

Reaction Score
The Azzurri aren't as good, they've been rebuilding the last few years. Too bad on the outcome. I cheer for Italy first, USA second.

This is one thing I don't get about you soccer guys. All the Italians and Potugese guys I work with root for Italy and Portugal if they play against the US. Despite the fact that they were born here. Always thought this was incredibly dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom