OT: US Soccer | The Boneyard

OT: US Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

Can someone on here explain what the situation is? Last night was 'due or die' for the Brasil world cup qualifying and advancing to the next round. They won 3-1 but what needs to happen going forward to solidify a spot? Also, we disqualified from the confederation cup when Mexico won the gold cup right?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There are three rounds of qualifying. Yesterday was the end of the 2nd round. If USA lost they probably would have been bounced. Now they play 5 home and homes, 10 games total; top 3 advance to Brazil. The 4th place team can get in with a play-in round against an Asian team.

Reaction Score
Can someone on here explain what the situation is? Last night was 'due or die' for the Brasil world cup qualifying and advancing to the next round. They won 3-1 but what needs to happen going forward to solidify a spot? Also, we disqualified from the confederation cup when Mexico won the gold cup right?

It was actually dew or dye.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I believe the playoff for the 4th spot is against Oceania. (Likely New Zealand).

About 6 harrowing minutes after the first Guatemalan goal. Probably the worst defensive gaffe by a US team in a long time.

Johnson has made his mark as a squad member. It's a bonus that Dempsey likes playing with him. Gomez and Zusi also look good for 2014. I think Williams will pass Jones for the 2nd midfield slot with Bradley. Central defense looked awful. That Boca may not be able to hang on until 2014 is a concern. I think Cherundolo will keep his form, but may not play every minute of every match.

Parkhurst is awful. Better hope Fabian Johnson is up to the task.

Howard
Dolo-Cameron-Boca-Johnson
Bradley-Williams
Zusi-Dempsey-Donovan
Gomez

Subs:
Guzan
Altidore
E. Johnson
Shea
Goodson
Edu
Castillo

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
What the heck is going on? It seems like we haven't had trouble qualifying in the past, at least since after 1998.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
2002 was a circus in qualifying and that team went to quarters.

Reaction Score
2002 was a circus in qualifying and that team went to quarters.

That's right it did go down to the wire. I think we had to get past Grenada or something.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They only lost one game out of six. I think we are going to be all right. Klinsmann is on the right track.

Reaction Score
They only lost one game out of six. I think we are going to be all right. Klinsmann is on the right track.

I like Klinsmann. I just haven't been following this as closely as usual. Where is Jozy Altidore? Did he piss Klinsmann off?

Reaction Score
I like Klinsmann. I just haven't been following this as closely as usual. Where is Jozy Altidore? Did he piss Klinsmann off?
He wasn't playing well. Not aggressive, being taken off the ball too easily. Gomez and Dempsey are just better right now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Seems to have yes. I think there was a good article on grantland about it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He wasn't playing well. Not aggressive, being taken off the ball too easily. Gomez and Dempsey are just better right now.

Jozy has not been good in a US shirt for a very long time. He'll get another chance soon.

The loss to Jamaica is what made this sticky. A draw to them would have clinched it earlier.

The big concern is the lost ground to Mexico and an under performing younger generation of players. That most of the top players are over 30 is a problem.

My biggest concern, Donovan. Doesn't look like he was into it, even when healthy.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Jozy has not been good in a US shirt for a very long time. He'll get another chance soon.

My biggest concern, Donovan. Doesn't look like he was into it, even when healthy.

I agree and let's hope Jozy is ready to give it his best shot when his time comes.

I think Landon is pining for England. MLS should let him go full-time.

Reaction Score
I agree and let's hope Jozy is ready to give it his best shot when his time comes.

I think Landon is pining for England. MLS should let him go full-time.

Take it to the off topic or some other soccer board. This is a UConn football board. Soccer is a game played in Europe and other countries not good enough to call themselves USA. Who cares...

Reaction Score
Take it to the off topic or some other soccer board. This is a UConn football board. Soccer is a game played in Europe and other countries not good enough to call themselves USA. Who cares...

MURRICA

Reaction Score

Yeah and if you can't fit in how Jeff Hathaway, PP or GDL flucked things up for US Soccer it's not worthy for posting here at all.

Reaction Score

Bump.

Bummed we don't get to go to the Confederation Cup. That was like an extra World Cup for us last time around. People were excited when we beat Spain and made it to the final.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Soccer is great. The post was labeled OT. Your post is about 10 years out of date, right up there with whining about not being able to smoke in a bar.

Reaction Score

Comments like that is why so many around the world hate second most just behind the French and mock us in Football.
It's a great game, especially if you get to watch it with knowledgeable and passionate fans.

Reaction Score
What's got the rest of the world really worried right now, is that they all know - ALL of them - the world soccer powers, that the only thing that keeps the USA from dominating the world in the sport, is that there has been no organization and structure in place for USA Soccer to build a world class power in soccer, which involves a program that goes from U-8 all the way up through the senior national team.

THere are more than enough world class athletes in a country the size of the United State, and last I looked, soccer is the most popular sport played by youth up through high school ages. Klinsmann, is the first USA coach, to my knowledge, that has complete control of the structure, (i'm not sure of the governing body of USA Soccer has had a coach that was given his amount of control before)

...and Klinsmann is simply installing the same program from youth to senior team, for the USA, that he installed in Germany about a decade ago, that rebuilt the German national team program from an aging, old model, that could never get by Brazil's youth, to what it is now, constantly pumping out new and better 18-20 year old players.

If Klinsmann can repeat what he was able to do with the youth programs for the Germany up through the national team, with the USA? It won't happen in 2014, but by 2018 and beyond, the USA is going to be very powerful in soccer.

THe weak link in the sytem right now, is the professional club teams, in North America, and I don't know anytihing about the jurisdiction/overlap if any that may exist between college soccer and USA soccer, butas the pro soccer programs in NOrth America improve, as they make more money, and can pay better, more players will develop, and look out.

It will be signfiicnat failure if the U.S. fails to qualify for Brazil, but I doubt it, and I think that when we get there, we're going to make some noise. This program has already managed to do two amazing things, in friendly play that were unheard of, and that's win IN italy, and win IN mexico.

Reaction Score
Dempsey said something that I think nailed the point after the game in an interview. He said one of the biggest difficulties facing the USA team right now, is the simple aspect of travel. Players haivng to fly into somewhere to play, from all over the world - and fighting jet lag, and travel issues for a couple of days as they're trying to prepare and play a national team game.

What needs to happen, is that the majority of USA senior team members, need to start congregating in a single part of the world for their club sport programs pro teams (preferably North America), when you've got MLS players, and Premiere League, and Bundeliga, etc... players having to fly into a region to play a game from all over the globe, you need an extra week to get acclimated to the simple aspects of travel.

Reaction Score
What's got the rest of the world really worried right now, is that they all know - ALL of them - the world soccer powers, that the only thing that keeps the USA from dominating the world in the sport, is that there has been no organization and structure in place for USA Soccer to build a world class power in soccer, which involves a program that goes from U-8 all the way up through the senior national team.

THere are more than enough world class athletes in a country the size of the United State, and last I looked, soccer is the most popular sport played by youth up through high school ages. Klinsmann, is the first USA coach, to my knowledge, that has complete control of the structure, (i'm not sure of the governing body of USA Soccer has had a coach that was given his amount of control before)

...and Klinsmann is simply installing the same program from youth to senior team, for the USA, that he installed in Germany about a decade ago, that rebuilt the German national team program from an aging, old model, that could never get by Brazil's youth, to what it is now, constantly pumping out new and better 18-20 year old players.

If Klinsmann can repeat what he was able to do with the youth programs for the Germany up through the national team, with the USA? It won't happen in 2014, but by 2018 and beyond, the USA is going to be very powerful in soccer.

THe weak link in the sytem right now, is the professional club teams, in North America, and I don't know anytihing about the jurisdiction/overlap if any that may exist between college soccer and USA soccer, butas the pro soccer programs in NOrth America improve, as they make more money, and can pay better, more players will develop, and look out.

It will be signfiicnat failure if the U.S. fails to qualify for Brazil, but I doubt it, and I think that when we get there, we're going to make some noise. This program has already managed to do two amazing things, in friendly play that were unheard of, and that's win IN italy, and win IN mexico.

I still think the weak link is the US system. Not really the MLS. The MLS is the best it can be based on the system below it. College soccer is just a really poor way of producing world class players. Unless colleges want to start playing at true competitive level 8-9 months a year or more, then that is not going to change.

In Europe, players turn pro in their teens. Only the really best Americans do that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Dempsey said something that I think nailed the point after the game in an interview. He said one of the biggest difficulties facing the USA team right now, is the simple aspect of travel. Players haivng to fly into somewhere to play, from all over the world - and fighting jet lag, and travel issues for a couple of days as they're trying to prepare and play a national team game.

I love Dempsey, and I think he is the best American player that we have ever had (including Donovan), but this just isn't true. If it were true, then someone would have to explain to me how Brazil has stayed at the height of international soccer while almost ALL of their big players play in European leagues and face the same travel problems (if not more, due to Champions League, etc.) that our players do.

No, unfortunately travel isn't the problem. Youth organization and youth coaching is perhaps the main problem, since our players just don't have the technical ability of the other major soccer nations around the world. Athletic ability? Sure, we have it in bunches! Technical ability? Not there....yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom