OT: UNC Academic Fraud Investigation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: UNC Academic Fraud Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The "paper classes" lasted for 18 yrs affected 3100 students; athletes accounted for 47% of enrollment.

BASKETBALL (13 scholarships per year)
Dean Smith - 54 in 5 years. 10.8 enrollments in AFAM independent students per year. (83% of scholarship base)
Bill Guthridge - 17 in 3 years. 5.67 enrollments in AFAM independent students per year (44%)
Matt Doherty - 42 in 3 years. 14 enrollments in AFAM independent students per year. (108%)
Roy Williams - 167 in 6 years. 27.83 enrollments in AFAM independent students per year (214%)

But here is the whitewashing:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11745036/north-carolina-investigation-says-advisers-pushed-sham-classes

Nobody can scoop the poop on a Tarheel better than a Dookie. Crazy like a fox.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And the whitewash from UNC continues with this insistence that it was started in the academic side of the university and that then the athletic department took advantage. The justification for this is that The ASPSA [Academic Support Program for Student Athletes] is not part of the athletic department !!!
They share the same offices with the athletic department, their only reason for being in existence is the athletes, but they are part of 'academia and not athletics'. Somehow I suspect if one of the coaches decides one of the ASPSA folks isn't doing what the coach wants for his star players, they will be looking for alternative employment pretty quickly!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
From Inside Carolina, regarding Roy WIlliams

Williams inherited a team in 2003-04 with five players in AFAM majors. That level of clustering made him uncomfortable because it appeared as though the players were being steered to the major, according to the report.

He later issued a directive to Holladay to make sure that ASPSA counselors were not steering players to AFAM.

“Those actions are inconsistent with being complicit or really trying to promote that scheme,” Wainstein said.

But yet, this was the first part in the Roy Williams section/discussion of the Wainstein Report (beginning on Page 72 and continuing to Page 74):

- Williams, Holladay and Walden brought the same oversight process they had used in Kansas.

- Walden focused on keeping up with the players’ classes and monitoring their eligibility. He provided regular reports about academic progress to Holladay, who would counsel and/or discipline players with academic issues. Holladay, in turn, reported to Williams on the general status of player academics.

- Coach Williams was uncomfortable with that clustering in AFAM because it looked like the players were being steered into that major, and after a year or two on the job he asked Holladay to make sure that basketball and ASPSA personnel were not steering players to the AFAM Department.138

- First, to his knowledge, he believes he has never spoken to Mary Willingham. Second, even if he had spoken to her, he would never make that statement, as it is directly contrary to the belief that he constantly preaches that their number one responsibility as coaches and counselors is to make sure their players get a good education.

So they use the same oversight system with the same individuals involved. The status of player academics was reported to Williams. Roy expressed discomfort with AFAM and issued a directive (that apparently was never followed). And he constantly preaches that it is the "number one" responsibility of coaches to make sure their players get a good education.

So if it is his top priority to make sure his players get a good education and he uses the same oversight/monitoring system that he always has and he expressed concerns over AFAM, how can he claim not to know what was going on?

Is anyone else reminded of this?

Jessup: We follow orders, son. We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?
Kaffee: Yes, sir.
Jessup: Are we clear?!
Kaffee: Crystal. Colonel, I just have one more question before I put Airman O'Malley and Airman Rodriguez on the stand. If you gave an order that Santiago wasn't to be touched, and your orders are always followed, then why would Santiago be in danger? Why would it be necessary to transfer him off the base?

Reaction Score

But yet, this was the first part in the Roy Williams section/discussion of the Wainstein Report (beginning on Page 72 and continuing to Page 74):

So they use the same oversight system with the same individuals involved. The status of player academics was reported to Williams. Roy expressed discomfort with AFAM and issued a directive (that apparently was never followed). And he constantly preaches that it is the "number one" responsibility of coaches to make sure their players get a good education.

So if it is his top priority to make sure his players get a good education and he uses the same oversight/monitoring system that he always has and he expressed concerns over AFAM, how can he claim not to know what was going on?

Whew. And I thought Vol fans had it in for us. :)

Reaction Score
Didn't the UCONN men's basketball team get suspended from post season play for a couple of years due to poor academics? And the poor academics was not fraud but accurate reporting of performance in "real" classes. Someone else posted that UNC is the academic equivalent of banking's "too big to fail" scenario. Therefore it will be interesting to see how the NCAA handles this hot potato. Clearly neither UNC or the NCAA has been interested in getting to the truth. And as I posted earlier, ignorance is not an excuse for senior management of the athletic department, the teams, and the university. Lastly I would love to hear from the ACC regarding one of their prestige schools' actions!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

And the expressed concern appears to be over 'AFAM majors' - you don't need to major in AFAM to get the benefit of a couple of 'A's on your transcript to counteract the 'D's and ' from real classes. Its like he was saying - 'guys, lets not make this too obvious - spread this around a bit and just use it when you are desperate.' If I am reading some of these quotes correctly it sounds like one men's basketball player was taking four of these course in a single semester!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Nobody can scoop the poop on a Tarheel better than a Dookie. Crazy like a fox.

I enjoy your perspective as a CC, but the only palatable outcome of a Duke-UNC game is a double forfeit. The only "root-able" aspect is Sylvia Hatchell.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The University of NOT Carolina should be in deep, deep trouble.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Looks like I have alot to catch up with in this thread

And to think... some on this board questioned why Ive used UNC for several years :rolleyes:

Not quite OT. UNC WBB were among the student-athletes in the no-show classes and who benefited from unauthorized grade changes. About 6 percent of the student-athletes in the classes were on the wbb team.

This particular story here is disturbing on many levels and directly ties to WBB http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/22/4255051/wainstein-report-says-jan-boxill.html

ETA that it appears Jan Boxill is one of the nine who was fired or disciplined today. She is no longer listed as director of Parr Center for Ethics.

Ah... a wolfpacker... the enemy of my enemy is my friend ;)

Reaction Score
Not quite OT. UNC WBB were among the student-athletes in the no-show classes and who benefited from unauthorized grade changes. About 6 percent of the student-athletes in the classes were on the wbb team.

This particular story here is disturbing on many levels and directly ties to WBB http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/22/4255051/wainstein-report-says-jan-boxill.html

ETA that it appears Jan Boxill is one of the nine who was fired or disciplined today. She is no longer listed as director of Parr Center for Ethics.

Does this cast any shadow on DD's academic standing??

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I read the lead article in the student newspaper. I hope the slant in what was written isn't indicative of the overall reaction of the campus community, though I suspect it will be. Minimalist in tone as to what happened. Without saying so, largely implies the fault lies with a rogue professor and his assistant. Sad.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
DeSaix said she hopes the University can move forward with as little negative response as possible.

Let's just move on.... Nothing to see here.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If they go with the whitewash, I could see a creative attorney and a few Alums threaten a class-action suit claiming the value of their degree has been degraded due to willful and purposeful fraud by the Administration. I don't have the expertise to determine if such a threat holds water legally...but I could see Alums from that time frame who took those courses (maybe honorably is some cases) raising hell over this.

I don't think the NCAA will do anything unless they have absolutely no choice, but I still think UNC is in deep trouble.

I demand a new investigation to investigate the NCAA investigators' investigative incompetence.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I read the lead article in the student newspaper. I hope the slant in what was written isn't indicative of the overall reaction of the campus community, though I suspect it will be. Minimalist in tone as to what happened. Without saying so, largely implies the fault lies with a rogue professor and his assistant. Sad.

This has been huge news here....... The sports talk radio interrupted their programming to broadcast the press conference live.... so did the major NC statewide TV news station. Front page on the front of the Newspaper... Front page on the sports section..... Top of the broadcast on the 12pm, 4pm 5pm 6pm 10pm and 11pm news last night and today. I have 3 of the local TV stations apps on my phone.... lead story there.... got notifications on my phone about this........

Reaction Score

This conspiracy features so many knuckleheads and such overwhelming evidence that Vinny Gambini couldn't beat the rap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom