OT - ummm the Lynx lose Game One | The Boneyard

OT - ummm the Lynx lose Game One

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
in the WNBA Finals to Catchings and the Fever... at home!

I wouldn't be upset of the Fever win after they blew thru the Liberty

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Kudos to the Fever for peaking when it matters, but it is really going to annoy me if they win the title after my Sky swept them in the regular season and beat them 5-of-7 overall.

Ah, well. Catch is just magic and saves a different gear for the playoffs.

Reaction Score
I really like the MN Linx, but with Seimone Augustus and Lindsay Whalen basically playing on one leg each, the chance of the Linx beating the Fever is nil! The Fever are the perfect example of putting together a roster of 12 separate parts that all fit together to make a dynamic whole! Each of the 12 pieces knows and does their job/part in the script to make the team almost unbeatable! And of course, you top it off with one of the greatest "winners" in sports history, and I mean all sports, men & women, Tamika Catchings! The ENGINE THAT COULD! The energizer bunny!
MN has 2 possible scorers, M. Moore & S. Fowles; Brunson is a rebounder and a screener, Cruz is a setup and defender, and the rest just fill in for those listed above! They can't get enough points to beat the Fever! Indiana wins the title in 3 game sweep!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kudos to the Fever for peaking when it matters, but it is really going to annoy me if they win the title after my Sky swept them in the regular season and beat them 5-of-7 overall.

Ah, well. Catch is just magic and saves a different gear for the playoffs.
and they spanked the Liberty as well during the regular season, if I recall. so they've been good just about all season but I guess there's not UConn players on the team we dont follow them too much on this board

Reaction Score
Indiana is a team that does not lend itself to comparative/statistical/thoughtful analysis. Look at this roster and there is very little to concern a Minnesota Lynx fan. Minnesota has taken the last nine regular season games from Indiana. Not since June 26, 2011 has Indiana beaten Minnesota in the Maya era. Yet, Indiana has taken four out of the five playoff games in this same span of time. Go figure.

My concern with Minnesota tonight is that neither Seimone Augustus nor Lindsay Whalen turned in Olympic caliber performances Sunday; Something about which players of their caliber will consciously toil to amend. However with their injuries and their advanced athletic age, they, very likely, do not have it in them to make their presence more conspicuously productive. Maya Moore is going to have to dig even deeper into her medicine bag of skills if Minnesota is going to cure the Fever. She is also going to have to play much, much smarter. She got away with at least three fouls in the last contest; all of them miles from the basket. She drives me nuts trying to make every play.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
doesnt look good for the Lynx in game 2

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Catchings just picked up her 5th foul with 4 minutes to go in the third quarter. Could be a game changer.

There were two bad fouls called on Catchings, which clearly changed the complexion of the game. I am getting really frustrated with these refs making themselves such a big part of these games.

That technical foul on Johnson when she hit the table was unnecessary. She was just letting off some steam for taking such a hard hit, as Lobo pointed out. Once again, an example of a ref being over zealous with the whistle in a hard-fought game. I am starting to believe that some of these refs never played organized basketball.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I really thought that Minnesota would come out stronger to start the game. Indy hung in there in a game in which Minnesota had much more motivation to win. It will be very interesting to see if Indy can close it out at home. They did exactly what they wanted to do by taking one on the road.

Indy had some really bad turnovers where they threw the ball out of bounds not even close to the intended target. Those really bit them in the butt down the stretch.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
is that tech sort of like slamming the ball so that it bounce 20 ft in the air? #frustration

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
is that tech sort of like slamming the ball so that it bounce 20 ft in the air? #frustration

Well, the lady sitting at the table did look startled, like she was afraid that Johnson was going to take a swing at her. And let me tell you, had that been BG...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Well, the lady sitting at the table did look startled, like she was afraid that Johnson was going to take a swing at her. And let me tell you, had that been BG...
but it wasnt BG... BG cant and shouldnt be used as the measuring stick for all techs, fights, scuffles on the womens side of basketball.

the tech was reasonable...

Reaction Score
The tech was not reasonable considering how unreasonable the refs were with the foul calls prior to the incident. Catchings got punished for a perfect textbook screen, got hit with a foul that should've been on Larkins and then after hearing about how impossible Maya is to guard in the open court (which she is) I see Catchings actually play defense against it beautifully (even taking an elbow in the process) and once again she is punished. This game is supposed to be a showcase of talent... it shouldn't be used to showcase how to diminish the effects of playing within the rules. Big Syl had some terrible calls go against her as well. Both Game 1 and 2 were terrible displays of officiating. Unfortunately, its the norm for WNBA games. I'm rooting for the Fever because of Catchings and the fact she is about to retire but have always had my home state Lynx as my go to team after the Sparks (used to be the Comets). This is a very tough series for me to watch and I'm becoming emotionally unstable. :confused::p:confused::D:eek::oops::mad::(;):):confused::cool:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
but it wasnt BG... BG cant and shouldnt be used as the measuring stick for all techs, fights, scuffles on the womens side of basketball.

the tech was reasonable...

Well, the BG reference was a joke...apparently not well delivered. And ditto to what tennparker3 said. The refs need to be in the background but instead they are front and center and preventing the players from deciding the series. Catching is too valuable to Indy for these refs to be flubbing these calls against her.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Who got called for a tech slamming the ball so that it bounced 20 feet in the air? Sounds like another poor call if it was in a playoff series. Playoff games are more emotional and the refs should take that into account and swallow their whistles unless a player's actions impact the outcome of the game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have no problem with the technical. Johnson slammed the front of the scorer's table causing those sitting there to recoil a bit. That type of demonstration of frustration, even if not directed at the officials, should be called. It is sort of like slamming the ball down on the court which is always T'd up. The answer is not to slam the scorer's table.

The Fever coach complained post-game that the game was a "bloodbath." I assume she meant too physical and she seemed to be putting the onus on the officials. The officiating was not great for either side (understatement, I know) but the Fever are and have been for years the most physical team in the league. Although the Fever are are better offensive team this year than they've been in the past, they still play the "clutch-and-grab" defense they've been known for.

All that said, I don't see how the Lynx win the series. The Fever look quicker, stronger, younger, deeper and just better. Whalen is not herself, the Fever have an answer for Seimone (not sure if it's just that or Seimone is not 100%) and Brunson could hardly be more ineffective.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with the technical foul call. Shenise scared the crap out of 2 people sitting at the table. Yes, the officiating was poor, but maybe not unusually so. Indiana is an aggressive team, so there is always contact. They do a lot of reaching in and rarely get called.

I think Minnesota will need their A game to win. They will need more than Syl and Maya.

Indiana's offense is way better than I thought. They are deadly on midrange jumpers, move the ball well, and set good screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom