OT: UConn track gets an elite transfer....yes! | The Boneyard

OT: UConn track gets an elite transfer....yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Jimdish255 has the great news [posted elsewhere] that Windsor native Sydnee Over is headed to UConn...transferring from Florida State. I assume she has to it out a year? It sounds like she would then be a junior in athletic eligibility?

Sydnee was a stud in high school....400 meters and 800 meters. My recollection is that she didn't quite have the top end speed for an elite 400 runner in college and the 800 might be her best event down the road....maybe even 1500. Her Mom was an Olympian for Canada!

The track coach must have had a celebratory quaff when this news broke. Maybe not quite to this extent but a tad like Brittany Hunter fleeing Duke for Storrs back in the day.

Uhhh...Jim...you got a track history in your youth?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Welcome, Sydnee! I guess your career at FSU is, well, Over. :)

Reaction Score
Fantastic news, but I have some questions. Can she defend in the open court, finish on the break, hit a 15 ft jumper and play the post ?

Reaction Score
Jimdish255 has the great news [posted elsewhere] that Windsor native Sydnee Over is headed to UConn...transferring from Florida State. I assume she has to it out a year? It sounds like she would then be a junior in athletic eligibility?

Sydnee was a stud in high school....400 meters and 800 meters. My recollection is that she didn't quite have the top end speed for an elite 400 runner in college and the 800 might be her best event down the road....maybe even 1500. Her Mom was an Olympian for Canada!

The track coach must have had a celebratory quaff when this news broke. Maybe not quite to this extent but a tad like Brittany Hunter fleeing Duke for Storrs back in the day.

I believe UConn baseball pitcher Devin Over is Sydnee's brother, judging from Devin's biographical writeup on uconnhuskies.com.

Reaction Score

We'll see if Sydnee has to sit out a year. Basketball and football transfers almost always have to sit out a year, but this isn't always true in collegiate non revenue sports. I've seen several soccer and baseball players transfer to UConn and they did not have to miss a year.

Reaction Score
We'll see if Sydnee has to sit out a year. Basketball and football transfers almost always have to sit out a year, but this isn't always true in collegiate non revenue sports. I've seen several soccer and baseball players transfer to UConn and they did not have to miss a year.

In track, she won't have to sit out a year IF Florida State signs off on the transfer.

You are correct about soccer players typically not having to sit - but not about baseball. That is one of four sports where most transfers do have to sit, along with football, basketball, and hockey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is great, Go UConn, the college sport champion center ....................

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One thing that is a bit troubling is that her best 800M time (2:08.41) came during her junior year in HS. In the three full years since then, she hasn't been under 2:09.43, That is obviously a really good time, but it would be nice to see a little improvement over a three year span. The UConn record, btw, is 2:04.23.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Jimdish255 has the great news [posted elsewhere] that Windsor native Sydnee Over is headed to UConn...transferring from Florida State. Maybe not quite to this extent but a tad like Brittany Hunter fleeing Duke for Storrs back in the day.

nah, maybe she just wanted to be "closer to home"

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Outside of the premier sports, athletes can use a one-time transfer exception to become eligible at their new school. There are some parameters, most notably academic progress, but it's essentially a rubber stamp.

There are three sports where you're not eligible for the exception - DI hoop, DI football and DI ice hockey. Baseball and soccer are not included. The only caveat with baseball, as with lower divisions of basketball, is that you cannot transfer between the fall and spring semesters and become immediately eligible. (That would effectively be transferring in-season.)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: she did play some hoops for Windsor High....hmmm....might she ponder walking-on for Geno at some point???

Reaction Score
Outside of the premier sports, athletes can use a one-time transfer exception to become eligible at their new school. There are some parameters, most notably academic progress, but it's essentially a rubber stamp.

There are three sports where you're not eligible for the exception - DI hoop, DI football and DI ice hockey. Baseball and soccer are not included. The only caveat with baseball, as with lower divisions of basketball, is that you cannot transfer between the fall and spring semesters and become immediately eligible. (That would effectively be transferring in-season.)

Not quite a rubber stamp since the school the athlete is transferring from has to sign off on the transfer, which they sometimes refuse to do if they suspect tampering or if the athlete has been dishonest with them. Part of the bylaw: "If the student is transferring from an NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student’s previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement." I know of several cases where the school objected and the athlete thus had to sit a year. I'm sure there are many more that haven't been publicized. One somewhat recent one was when Navy refused to give a waiver to a women's soccer player who had played for a CT high school because she had not been honest with them upfront when she committed to the program. She was transferring to an ACC school.

As for baseball, the NCAA bylaw says that for the exception to apply, "The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men’s ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32