OT: U. Buffalo goes back to being U. Buffalo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: U. Buffalo goes back to being U. Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I've posted - often - Syracuse is a toilet. In my 20 years of commercial mortgages, most Institutional investors won't lend or invest in the 315. Soon, after 10 years of push, you'll see Albany, Rochester & Buffalo with important new venture transforming the regions for business. Not Syracuse.

Note: few SU grads stay in Syracuse or upstate. Totally inverse of UB. Syracuse is a school for kids with wealth who failed to get in their first 3 choices.

Reaction Score
Note: few SU grads stay in Syracuse or upstate. Totally inverse of UB. Syracuse is a school for kids with wealth who failed to get in their first 3 choices.
This is accurate - walk around campus and you'll see tons of Range Rovers with NJ plates and freshmen girls from Long Island - daddy's car driving around Syracuse because they didn't get into Princeton, NYU, or Villanova.

Reaction Score
I guess I was moreso referring to this:
ap_ncaa_buffalo_wvirginia_basketball_71756879-copy1.jpg

I think this shows a clear effort to brand your team as "New York". Someone, either the athletic department, public relations, or elsewhere, made an attempt to lay claim as New York's team, all research/AAU/academic growth aside.

As I wrote in this thread, UB went through this years before White got there, and he did this in the cover of night. When he left, they went back to what was right. The school heads the organization that oversees the Buffalo Billion. They are basically considered the heads for investment in the region.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's funny, I have had a few people up here in the Boston area ask me why I like/root for UConn so much - as an honest question. They don't question hardcore Sox or Pats fans, but they don't quite grasp why college sports could be so endearing to someone. Juxtapose that with the mindset of folks in the south or midwest. I was at a resort in Texas and half of the adults felt the need to wear their favorite college's gear 75% of the time. Few people wore pro sports gear of any kind.

Yes, my Boston born and raised wife doesn't get it either. It's no coincidence that the only people I see wearing college gear are (a) current students at places like Harvard or Brown and (b) my friends (or neighbors) who went to UConn, Texas and Texas A&M. I mean, who wears a Bryant College sweatshirt? I do have one neighbor from BC who wears gear, but he's a huge sports fan generally.

Reaction Score
If this is a serious question, it's because SU (I'm not an alumnus) is a large private school with a huge athletic budget and exposure with 100x the opportunities to do so around the state, region, and country. Many people outside of the region don't know what Binghamton is, and even with the Bills many people can't place Buffalo on a map.

When did Cuse drop the "SUNY" from their proper name?

Reaction Score
You're a good poster. But, why not read the thread? It refutes what you are saying. They never rebranded. They were UB before and want to stay UB. This doesn't threaten Syracuse but I always detect that Cuse fans are somehow threatened by SUNY. Not sure why. Syracuse is a private school in central New York. Whereas the SUNy schools are actually the public schools of the state. The 2 schools that you mention in Buffalo, Buffalo St. and UB, are in no way alike. Night and day. UB is actually an AAU school. This is a very big difference. And yeah, UB prides itself on being the jewel of the system.

Stony Brook is the jewel! The Best ranked and also an AAU! :)

Reaction Score
While Stony Brook is an AAU, it is half the size of Buffalo in terms of research. It's a failed effort for me to even go into the workings of SUNY and the standings of the schools, because it's obvious very many people here will not buy it (probably because of negative feelings toward the city of Buffalo). The fact is, Buffalo has the most highly ranked programs, most research, and even the downstate rep of Binghamton compared to Buffalo as a liberal arts school is highly questionable, given the rankings of actual Humanities and Science departments.

I'm not even getting into the sports thing, since these schools do not try to distinguish themselves there.

Soon, Buffalo will be the only AAU of the SUNY's, one of 4 AAU schools in the entire state.

The fact that Buffalo is in a far corner of the state away from New York City hasn't stopped it from growing the fastest, doing the most research, and essentially becoming the state's flagship.

, I didn't know Buffalo has boosters in the BY. Geez

I gotta back up my Alma Mater here. Stony Brook has been consistently better ranked than Buffalo for a while now and while Buffalo remains the largest school by student body (about +5k) Stony Brook is catching up to that also. The fact that Stony Brook is in Long Island and not Western NY is also a positive in my opinion. Needless to say that both are AAU schools and I don't see why Stony Brook would get kick out when it's making massive investments in medical research facilities and it's R&D Park.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I gotta back up my Alma Mater here. Stony Brook has been consistently better ranked than Buffalo for a while now and while Buffalo remains the largest school by student body (about +5k) Stony Brook is catching up to that also. The fact that Stony Brook is in Long Island and not Western NY is also a positive in my opinion. Needless to say that both are AAU schools and I don't see why Stony Brook would get kick out when it's making massive investments in medical research facilities and it's R&D Park.

AAU = Research Grants
Pretty simple.
USNWR = Nonsense

pj

Reaction Score
Stony Brook was big in physics with its particle accelerator, but physics has been declining as a share of research grants relative to medicine. Stony Brook is far enough from New York that it can't easily have a big medical center.

I actually agree that if I were Jim Delany, then due to location I'd look to Stony Brook rather than Buffalo as a candidate for upgrading to high-level athletics and future B1G membership ... but the B1G really has no need for projects like that, considering that half the programs in major college athletics will be begging for membership.

Reaction Score
AAU = Research Grants
Pretty simple.
USNWR = Nonsense

Listen. I don't care what metric you use. But to make it seem like the AAU is going to kick out Stony Brook is a bit too much. No need to be making stuff like that up to boost UBuffalo. Does Buffalo have more research expenditures? Yes. Are they both part of the AAU? Yes. Does Stony Brook have consistently better undergraduate rankings on just about all rankings out there? Yes

A school in Western NY will never be a flagship or whatever you want to call it. It just wont happen. But who cares about this whole flagship talk anyway. The only reasons these post caught my attention was you trying to pass Buffalo as the only the AAU school in the state.

Both schools are great for the State. I have no problem with the current setup of having four university centers. A state like New York is deserving of four great research institutions. If anything we should have an additional two in Rochester and Syracuse

Reaction Score
Listen. I don't care what metric you use. But to make it seem like the AAU is going to kick out Stony Brook is a bit too much. No need to be making stuff like that up to boost UBuffalo. Does Buffalo have more research expenditures? Yes. Are they both part of the AAU? Yes. Does Stony Brook have consistently better undergraduate rankings on just about all rankings out there? Yes

A school in Western NY will never be a flagship or whatever you want to call it. It just wont happen. But who cares about this whole flagship talk anyway. The only reasons these post caught my attention was you trying to pass Buffalo as the only the AAU school in the state.

Both schools are great for the State. I have no problem with the current setup of having four university centers. A state like New York is deserving of four great research institutions. If anything we should have an additional two in Rochester and Syracuse

The AAU is in the process of kicking out schools. This is just an absolute fact.

I'm not sure what you mean by Rochester and Syracuse. They are private schools.

Reaction Score

They are both quality schools (as are many other SUNY schools). One thing is clear - they compare favorably to Syracuse, especially when you take into account the $40k premium for Syracuse per year.

Reaction Score
The AAU is in the process of kicking out schools. This is just an absolute fact.

I'm not sure what you mean by Rochester and Syracuse. They are private schools.

I meant to say the state should consider establishing major universities in the Syracuse and Rochester area. Every major city should have a SUNY center

Reaction Score
I meant to say the state should consider establishing major universities in the Syracuse and Rochester area. Every major city should have a SUNY center

I don't think there is enough of a population. Some of the city centers are too small. Plus there's no money, and one of the crazy things that Albany likes to do is to prevent duplicative degree programs across the whole system. It's wrong, but they think they are being more efficient, whereas in reality they are just creating more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom