OT: True detective/Ballers/Brink | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: True detective/Ballers/Brink

Reaction Score
I just watched the third episode.

At this point, I don't remember any character's name, Vince Vaughn's tics are wearing thin and I can't even remember which crime they're investigating.
Ease off the pot, man

Reaction Score
johnhuskies95 said:
I could very well be wrong, but I think the reviews are only based on the first four episodes. Last season didn't start to get really, really good until about episode 4, so who knows how this season will be when it's all said and done.

True. It took me about 6 attempts to get that far into season 1.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
True. It took me about 6 attempts to get that far into season 1.

Really? I was hooked for good part way through episode 1!

Season 2: I can't get past the name of the city (Vinci) being so similar to it's main mob boss (Vince Vaughn). I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. If that's my hangup w Season 2, then imo the show has been underwhelming.

Reaction Score
Think I am bailing on True Detective Season 2....too confusing...too dull....dont really like any of the characters or the story.

Reaction Score
nothing dull about last nights td. epic shootout scene

Reaction Score

My brothers said the same thing....epidode three is must see.

Maybe I bailed a bit soon.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure it was enough. Interested to see how the aftermath plays out. It was quite dull up until the last ten minutes.

Reaction Score
My brothers said the same thing....epidode three is must see.

Maybe I bailed a bit soon.
I'm not sure it was enough. Interested to see how the aftermath plays out. It was quite dull up until the last ten minutes.
It took 4 episodes last season for things to ramp up, just like this season. Episode 4 was when they had that huge shootout in the hood after jacking that stash.

I can't believe some of y'all didn't learn your lesson last season to be patient.

Reaction Score
It took 4 episodes last season for things to ramp up, just like this season. Episode 4 was when they had that huge shootout in the hood after jacking that stash.

I can't believe some of y'all didn't learn your lesson last season to be patient.

Touche. Like Shabazz after Kemba? Wait til the end my friends.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Felt a little like Son's of Anarchy in terms of shooting though. Fifty million bullets flying everywhere, and not hitting people in plain sight (until later with the protesters). Watching Rachel McAdams sprinting and trying to shoot her gun forward at a moving car made me laugh out loud.

Better episode overall though. Still don't think Vince Vaughn is getting it done as the Mob Boss. Don't know if it's the writing or the acting there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Man, last season had me completely riveted half way through Episode 1.

Reaction Score
Man, last season had me completely riveted half way through Episode 1.
Well yeah I liked it from episode one, and that's why I'm being faithful here in season 2, but the season was going kinda slowly and that's what people were complaining about, same as this season. Episode 4 really kinda turned the corner in season 1 so here's to hoping it happens again this year.

Reaction Score
the single tracking scene from last year when the faux police officers marched in the hood was just mind blowing, but the shootout scene from the past sunday really wasn't that bad. pegs below, but the gore of it really caught me off guard. And i am intrigued at the aftermath of it. as far as the acting, i think vaughn is really giving it a good try, this is probably the most challenging role of his career and i think he's had some good moments. a guy whose lost everything , still trying to scrap it together. its just completely different than the first season though.

Reaction Score
the single tracking scene from last year when the faux police officers marched in the hood was just mind blowing, but the shootout scene from the past sunday really wasn't that bad. pegs below, but the gore of it really caught me off guard. And i am intrigued at the aftermath of it. as far as the acting, i think vaughn is really giving it a good try, this is probably the most challenging role of his career and i think he's had some good moments. a guy whose lost everything , still trying to scrap it together. its just completely different than the first season though.
There wasn't much of a chase involved in the shootout (the shootout really happened after the chase ended) like there was last season. So maybe the suspense may not have been quite as high.

That said the brutality and grit was definitely higher this week.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Really liked The Brink, and Ballers was solid, if a little too neatly tied up at season's end.

I do not know how The Brink can sustain that frenetic pace for another season. I wonder if everything just came together for Season 1. I expect Ballers to get better.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just finished The Brink. I thought it was hilarious. I heard some rattlings that it's not realistic (not here). Well, it's not supposed to be. You don't put Tim Robbins, Jack Black, Aasif Mandvi, and the dude who played Nick Sobotka together and think you're going to do a realistic faux docu-drama of what might happen. It was highly entertaining, but I doubt it has a season 2 unless there is some serious character development and I just don't see it and I doubt it lends itself to a True Detective format (i.e. complete overhaul of the cast). Plus one of the executive producers is no longer "with us."

I got stuck on Ballers. I'm trying to keep with it, but I think The Rock is trying too hard and the producers are taking themselves too seriously.

As much as I try, I can't get into True Detective.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
HBO has canceled The Brink according to IMDb.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
HBO has canceled The Brink according to IMDb.

no surprise there. i kinda liked it, but i imagine there's a narrow audience. i enjoy frenetic coked up comedy a la jack black. nobody did it better than robin williams of course. and belushi. and chris farley.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I really liked the first season, but can also understand the cancellation. I read some of the news articles, but none really provided an explanation or reversing a renewal 4 months later. It was a big cast, which I suspect had a lot to do with the cancellation. The big ensemble casts are problematic for scheduling. A friend of a friend worked on the Sopranos, and that person said the last few seasons were a nightmare to film because the actors were all so busy with other stuff.

I also think it was also a well done season that clicked, but seemed like it would be really hard to replicate for a second season. I wouldn't be surprised if HBO, the cast and crew reached the same conclusion.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I also think it was also a well done season that clicked, but seemed like it would be really hard to replicate for a second season. I wouldn't be surprised if HBO, the cast and crew reached the same conclusion.

I think someone relatively important to the production died recently.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I really liked the first season, but can also understand the cancellation. I read some of the news articles, but none really provided an explanation or reversing a renewal 4 months later. It was a big cast, which I suspect had a lot to do with the cancellation. The big ensemble casts are problematic for scheduling. A friend of a friend worked on the Sopranos, and that person said the last few seasons were a nightmare to film because the actors were all so busy with other stuff.

I'm certain it was the execs that cancelled it. It comes down to eyeballs on the TV. No cast or crew hopes for a cancellation; this is (consistent) paid work. Though, as you say, I imagine the large cast was a problem, not just for scheduling, but for inflated paychecks as well. Some big names in there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom