OT: True detective/Ballers/Brink | The Boneyard

OT: True detective/Ballers/Brink

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
All 3 start on HBO tonight. What have you read or heard about them?

Reaction Score
True Detective season 1 was pretty amazing. But Season 2 will be unrelated in every possible aspect

Different cast, setting, time period. But what matters is that the writers are the same, and because of that, I'm excited

Reaction Score
True detective cast was better 1st season. Not into this seasons cast as much

Reaction Score
All 3 look like they have great potential. HBO doesn't come out with many bad shows these days.

Reaction Score
True detective cast was better 1st season. Not into this seasons cast as much
True Detective was some of the best casting of all-time, give it a chance this season I would be shocked if it's not good.

Reaction Score
i have read that people will be disappointed by this season of true detective, which i have sort of been expecting since the last one. They were so good so quickly and came under a tremendous amount of critical reviews. The reviews basically said that the cast struggles (mainly VV) and Nick Pizzolatto went away from the mysterious meta aspects of the show which encouraged fans to search for answers and IMO was a huge part of its allure (obviously along with a great story great story telling and outstanding performances.) It was going to be impossible to live up to the standard they set in the first season. This task is made especially difficult because they only wrote one season-instead of adapting 5 previously written stories in a series, he's going to write one story, film it, then write a completely new one, all while dealing with the criticism of the first and blending that into the 2nd. Just a very tall task and not one we see frequently. It is one thing to have a show with a consistent story and write that as you go, but he is forced to scrap all the great character development and plot devices and start over. I hope it grabs my attention.

The 10 PM show looks like they just recasted entourage with the rock. It will be cool to see the they do but that is it. I expect the 1030 show to be excellent.

Reaction Score
i have read that people will be disappointed by this season of true detective, which i have sort of been expecting since the last one. They were so good so quickly and came under a tremendous amount of critical reviews. The reviews basically said that the cast struggles (mainly VV) and Nick Pizzolatto went away from the mysterious meta aspects of the show which encouraged fans to search for answers and IMO was a huge part of its allure (obviously along with a great story great story telling and outstanding performances.) It was going to be impossible to live up to the standard they set in the first season. This task is made especially difficult because they only wrote one season-instead of adapting 5 previously written stories in a series, he's going to write one story, film it, then write a completely new one, all while dealing with the criticism of the first and blending that into the 2nd. Just a very tall task and not one we see frequently. It is one thing to have a show with a consistent story and write that as you go, but he is forced to scrap all the great character development and plot devices and start over. I hope it grabs my attention.

The 10 PM show looks like they just recasted entourage with the rock. It will be cool to see the they do but that is it. I expect the 1030 show to be excellent.

I could very well be wrong, but I think the reviews are only based on the first four episodes. Last season didn't start to get really, really good until about episode 4, so who knows how this season will be when it's all said and done.

Reaction Score
Its going to be strange watching Vince Vaughn in a serious role and not a comedy. He did a pretty good job playing a bad guy in the John Travolta movie Domestic Disturbance.

Reaction Score
Its going to be strange watching Vince Vaughn in a serious role and not a comedy. He did a pretty good job playing a bad guy in the John Travolta movie Domestic Disturbance.
Vince Vaughn did some good dramatic work early in his career with Clay Pigeons, Return to Paradise and A Cool Dry Place before he got into the comedies and started raking in the cash.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I thought it was better than I thought it would be. Just need to get out of my head that it's the second season of such a great show and try and let it stand on its own.

Reaction Score
Episode 1 was okay imo last night. Seeing Vince for the first time sitting at the bar I just wanted to start laughing. Season 1 was awesome though.

Reaction Score
The cast is good, and I'm sure the acting is going to be great, but these stereotypes and cliches of -up detectives and cops--it just gets old after awhile. Everyone has a brutal sob story. Dispense with the background and get on with it already!

Anyone see the movie "Inherent Vice"? Just rented it on DVD. Loved it. That's a good PI-cop movie set in LA. Joaquin Phoenix had some amazing scenes it. Then again, the Director was Paul Thomas Anderson, and I don't think the guy has ever made a bad film. Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood, The Master, and now this one.

Anyone who can make Adam Sandler into an Oscar-worthy actor has to be a fine director.

Reaction Score
Ballers is gonna be GREAT. I loved entourage and am am glad that they have another very similar show.

Reaction Score
To be honest I completely agree with you, but I just love entourage and this combines my favorite show and sports

I'm thinking Entourage meets Arli$$, which may be too old a reference to make, and I never watched it when it was on, I just like using it as a punchline

Reaction Score
it felt a bit over-acted to me at times (maybe because of the long shadow cast by mcconaughey), but i'll definitely keep watching.

ballers was horrendous. don't wast your time on that.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Brink might have sneakily been the most entertaining show out of the three.
I agree. I enjoyed that show. Ballers could be some decent mindless entertainment ala Entourage (which I liked), but I thought that True Detective was a hot mess. However, I will stick with it, it certainly could get better. I wasnt enthralled with last years first episode either and ended up liking the show.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm thinking Entourage meets Arli$$, which may be too old a reference to make, and I never watched it when it was on, I just like using it as a punchline

It's definitely more Entourage than Arli$$, but yeah. Corddry's even filling the goofy white sidekick role. It was fine. I'll watch it when my wife falls asleep.

True Detective is entirely derivative, but I'm sure it'll also be very watchable.

DVR'd but didn't watch Brink yet.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I was going to say that making sweeping judgments on either show probably isn't the right move. But then I realized that's what we do best here.

Reaction Score
Brink might have sneakily been the most entertaining show out of the three.
This prompted me to watch the pilot. Had a good few chuckles and I agree. We'll see how the whole season turns out (True Detective will ramp up for sure) but I was definitely entertained

Reaction Score
True Detective seems to be trying very hard to capture the spirit of the first season but there's something off without Cary Fukunaga directing.

Also, the motorcycle cop from Friday Night Lights is an absolutely horrendous actor and having a female lead named Antigone with daddy issues seems like an odd way to try to introduce a more fully formed female character. Just sort of heavy handed and obvious. We'll see where it goes.

Ballers is dumb but entertaining. The Brink had some funny moments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom