OT: This 's got to stop! | The Boneyard

OT: This 's got to stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'm reading an article about University of Wisconsin-Green Bay MBB coach Brian Wardle and the allegations against him that he abused players.

Hatred for Rutgirls aside, Mike Rice didn't deserve to be fired. He deserved to be tied up in RU's student union and beaten.

That being said, it seems like we've had one "my coach is mean" story every week since then.

The Greenbay coach isn't being fired but check out this little gem:

"Harden said the coach acknowledged using unacceptable language in criticism and comments to players.

We do not accept this sort of treatment or language in the classroom,'' Harden said. ''And we should not accept it on the court or in the locker room.''

Reading that makes my nuts tuck up under my Ashlynn Shade. Where will the pussification of our society end?

Reaction Score
I'm reading an article about University of Wisconsin-Green Bay MBB coach Brian Wardle and the allegations against him that he abused players.

Hatred for Rutgirls aside, Mike Rice didn't deserve to be fired. He deserved to be tied up in RU's student union and beaten.

That being said, it seems like we've had one "my coach is mean" story every week since then.

"Harden said the coach acknowledged using unacceptable language in criticism and comments to players.

We do not accept this sort of treatment or language in the classroom,'' Harden said. ''And we should not accept it on the court or in the locker room.''

Reading that makes my nuts tuck up under my Ashlynn Shade. Where will the pussification of our society end?

Everyone gets a medal bud...

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Everyone gets a medal bud...

We don't keep score here...

Listen to Adam Carolla's rant here. Fcking spot on with what's wrong these days. Touches on "participation trophies" , Occupy Wall Street, "Holiday Celebrations" instead of Christmas, etc.

He's walking a thin line between being blatently honest and writing his manifesto in a secluded Montana cabin, but he's speaking my language.

If you can't appreciate what this guy is saying it's probably because he's talking about you. Take the 9 minutes to listen to this,trust me. Even if you don't agree with him you'll probably respect his honesty and reasoning.

#!

Reaction Score
Johnny is here for the exercise... He's not very competitive.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
They're all winners, just for showing up!

Who has snacks next game?

Everyone HAS to play 10 snaps/10 minutes. (After 5th grade, that rule should not apply)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
We know you're 12 yo but you're too big to play: http://bdlsports.net/2012/08/14/12-year-old-too-big-for-pee-wee-football/

We know you're 12 yo but you throw too hard: http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/westfield_little_league_12-yea.html

We know you're a 12 yo girl but you're too good to play with our sons: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4923635&page=1#.UaBJ6s7D_IU

It's almost as if bullying has flipped the script and reversed course.....

166346-lamar1_1.jpg

:)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The football culture does not meld well with the participation medal trophy culture.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The football culture does not meld well with the participation medal trophy culture.

Don't you get a varsity letter for participation?

Reaction Score
So only the best should play?
Only the winners should bother to show up?
Sure would make for some short track meets I've been to lately. Have you noticed they cheer for the last place kids. Need to stop that right now!

Reminds me of a conversation I had during a pre-season soccer meeting concerning our U-11 soccer team. My daughter had just endured a miserable season mostly on the bench. She was good enough to play, not great but 4 or 5 girls on the team just had to play the entire game. They were the best.

My contention was that players develop at different times according to their body type as well as their work ethic. And that the purpose of the team was to develop and improve the team as a whole, not just the 5 best with the others used as pilons in practice. I also reminded them that our travel teams were not particularly deep and we needed depth in case something happened to our best players. The league head went on about how his son who was really a good soccer player as a soph in HS never got to play and was miserable. He stayed on the team and became all conference. I asked him to explain to me how exactly that year on the bench benefitted his son or how much more he might have developed had he gotten even a moderate amount of experience. The conversation ended there.

Long story short the new coach was more equitable about playing time. Lo and behold some of the benchwarmers actually improved. And 4 of those 5 best players are no longer on the team. Either went to other teams or quit altogether. Last year my daughter led the team in scoring.

Just wanted to give you some perspective on winners and losers as it applies to kids, Don't be so quick to label them.

Reaction Score
I'm fully with JimDish. Every kid should get some playing time at these young ages. To keep a few kids totally on the bench is not teaching them "life will be unfair someday so get used to it "lessons. It's taking all the fun out of participating.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
We know you're 12 yo but you're too big to play: http://bdlsports.net/2012/08/14/12-year-old-too-big-for-pee-wee-football/

We know you're 12 yo but you throw too hard: http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/westfield_little_league_12-yea.html

We know you're a 12 yo girl but you're too good to play with our sons: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4923635&page=1#.UaBJ6s7D_IU

It's almost as if bullying has flipped the script and reversed course.....

166346-lamar1_1.jpg

:)

Did you read the article about the pitcher that you linked to? I just did. That 12 year old was playing in a minors division that had mostly 9, 10 and 11 years old in it. He was one of two 12 year olds in the entire league. Pardon me if I'm not crying for the kid who has to play catcher and shortstop instead of throwing the ball past kids younger and smaller than him.

Next year when he is in the "major" league, he'll be able to pitch against what is a more appropriate set of opponents. Not exactly a Greek tragedy.

It isn't always so clear cut. Jim makes a really good point about giving kids, and these are kids we are talking about, an opportunity to develop.

One last thing. If your kid is so dominant at his level, you usually have the opportunity to move them up a level the following season. Play them up an age group or two. Give your kid a better level of competition. If they are maxed out and have reached the highest level and are still dominating? Awesome for them.

And none of this has anything with how a coach should be able to treat his players while coaching. Completely separate topic that you are conflating while somehow trying to imply that our society is being made homosexual because it isn't Lord of the Flies out there.

Reaction Score
Carolla has a chip on his shoulder, and rightly so. Looks like he didn't have the support at home and someone patting him on the back for his hard work and successes. So now he does it for himself by saying "look at me, I made it why can't you?".

It's easy to create straw men to knock down if it serves your purpose. I just think a little acknowledgement for one's participation and effort towards providing a level competitive playing field is a small price to pay for one's continued participation in sports and in life. So congratulations Adam, you da man!

Reaction Score
Sure would make for some short track meets I've been to lately. Have you noticed they cheer for the last place kids. Need to stop that right now!

Reminds me of a conversation I had during a pre-season soccer meeting concerning our U-11 soccer team. My daughter had just endured a miserable season mostly on the bench. She was good enough to play, not great but 4 or 5 girls on the team just had to play the entire game. They were the best.

My contention was that players develop at different times according to their body type as well as their work ethic. And that the purpose of the team was to develop and improve the team as a whole, not just the 5 best with the others used as pilons in practice. I also reminded them that our travel teams were not particularly deep and we needed depth in case something happened to our best players. The league head went on about how his son who was really a good soccer player as a soph in HS never got to play and was miserable. He stayed on the team and became all conference. I asked him to explain to me how exactly that year on the bench benefitted his son or how much more he might have developed had he gotten even a moderate amount of experience. The conversation ended there.

Long story short the new coach was more equitable about playing time. Lo and behold some of the benchwarmers actually improved. And 4 of those 5 best players are no longer on the team. Either went to other teams or quit altogether. Last year my daughter led the team in scoring.

Just wanted to give you some perspective on winners and losers as it applies to kids, Don't be so quick to label them.

Depends on the expected skill set of the league - no? Recreation teams versus Comp Travel Teams? On Rec leagues - all should play with fairly equal time. On Comp teams not so much. Slippery slope. There are different expectations @ different levels depending on age/tiers.

Reaction Score

Got it. They need to be abused and sworn at to be "real" players. And coaches need to abuse children and swear at them to be good coaches. Hope you aren't procreating.

Reaction Score
Got it. They need to be abused and sworn at to be "real" players. And coaches need to abuse children and swear at them to be good coaches.

Good thing JC retired... It would have only been a matter of time. ;) (language - not physical abuse).

Reaction Score
I agree with carolla's conclusion despite that it was ineligently drawn - as a society we have softened people to the point where they expect to be recognized, achievement or not. That people will just confer value on the things they do regardless of whether it is deserved. And sometimes precisely because it is not deserved.

There is more than a fine line between developing children to be the best they are capable, and deluding them. That was what I took out of his rant.

Reaction Score
Oy vey/Madon. Here's one for ya...

Little Mawusimensah gets cut from HS track team so daddy files lawsuit. It seeks $40 million plus 2012 and 2013 varsity letters and championship jackets.

>>"It's unfair, Mears said, that his son wasn't allowed to compete, even though he may have been faster than some seniors who raced. "If he doesn't qualify, then the clock will say he's not fast enough," said Mears, who worries his son may be losing out on the possibility of a college athletic scholarship. "Let him get some exposure," Mears said.

"Participation in extracurricular activities is a right," Mears said. "Not allowing his son to participate constitutes bullying, harassment, and an "abusive school environment" in which the sophomore's rights to due process and freedom of speech were impeded, the suit says. "<<

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/art...id=136030023&topic=2,100#.UaTNtPszwsI.twitter

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

When I was growing up. U-XX teams were traveling all-star teams and we had to try out for them. They were far more competitive than the youth town league. Politics aside, playing time is earned in practice. No one was explicitly promised playing time and not everyone got a trophy.

My father coached our CYC basketball team The league was meant for 7th and 8th graders but our church openned it up to 6th graders as well. During the very first "tryout" each year (he accepted pretty much anyone willing to make the commitment), he explicitly said that 6th graders would probably not see meaningful game minutes, but the work done in practice would pay dividends for the next 2 years. At the same time he encouraged the 6th graders to play in town Rec. leagues, under the condition of CYC practice trumped Rec. practice, but Rec. games trumped CYC practice. He won his fair share of games and even won the big hardware twice.

The point being, if you want a pat on the back for showing up, play Rec. ball., but be prepared to be unprepared for later life. Not everyone gets the first job for which they apply. Not everyone wins the contract bid. I believe that around age 10 or 11 is when that lesson should start to be taught.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

There's a difference between using "unacceptable language" and the physical abuse Mike Rice displayed and he absolutely deserved to be fired for that among other reasons (His teams weren't very consistently good, for one).

The court/field is a different environment than the classroom and what is unacceptable in one is perfectly legitimate in the other.

Reaction Score

here's your answer to why these stories keep popping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom