OT. Things to do in Houston | The Boneyard

OT. Things to do in Houston

Reaction Score
It's looking like I will have a 2 night layover in Houston because my destination flight is cancelled due to volcanic ash. I know many of our posters have exquisite taste. Any recommendations on things to do?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Tulsa plays @ Houston tonight. Go to the game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Eat dinner at Hugo's, the best high-end Mexican food I've ever had.

Drink great beers and play darts at the original Ginger Man, and get more great beers at the Flying Saucer.

Get Vietnamese food.

Good to Goode's BBQ.

Check the music listings at Last Concert Cafe to see if there's anything good there.

Reaction Score

Drink great beers and play darts at the original Ginger Man, and get more great beers at the Flying Saucer.

Get Vietnamese food.

Good to Goode's BBQ.

Check the music listings at Last Concert Cafe to see if there's anything good there.

Can't day I'm surprised. You have specific, and likely on point recommendations for just about anywhere it seems.

Reaction Score
From someone who has lived in Houston, rent a car and leave the city. Drive to Austin. It's a short drive. I hate Houston and all things Houston. The only thing that I refuse to leave Houston without doing is stopping at a Shipley's Donut and getting hot glazed donuts. If they aren't hot, don't even waste your time. Ginger Man would be fun and Flying Saucer would be as well, though I do not believe that is a Texas specific chain as I know there was one in Raleigh when I lived there. If you want barbecue and are willing to take my suggestion and leave the city, I would drive to Lockhart. There are three excellent barbecue places there. When I go home, we always go to Blacks. If you go to any barbecue place in Texas, order the brisket.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
From someone who has lived in Houston, rent a car and leave the city. Drive to Austin. It's a short drive. I hate Houston and all things Houston. The only thing that I refuse to leave Houston without doing is stopping at a Shipley's Donut and getting hot glazed donuts. If they aren't hot, don't even waste your time. Ginger Man would be fun and Flying Saucer would be as well, though I do not believe that is a Texas specific chain as I know there was one in Raleigh when I lived there. If you want barbecue and are willing to take my suggestion and leave the city, I would drive to Lockhart. There are three excellent barbecue places there. When I go home, we always go to Blacks. If you go to any barbecue place in Texas, order the brisket.
You are correct that Flying Saucer is a chain (as is Ginger Man, actually; although the Houston Ginger Man is the original). I loved the setting of the Houston Ginger Man--it was an easy place to spend a few hours on a couple of occasions. And Flying Saucer was pretty impressive, especially how many good Texas beers they had.

Agree that Austin is more fun. We took a day trip there from San Antonio on the Sunday in between games in 2004.

And yes, agreed that BBQ is better in other parts of Texas, but from my research it seemed that Goode was the best in the Houston area, and I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And while I have never been to this restaurant, I have heard that Treebeards is excellent for lunch. And the person who gave that recommendation gave me the best dining recommendations for random places we ended up when my son and I took our cross country trip to Boston this summer, so I actually trust him

Reaction Score

Totally agree. I live in Austin, but have traveled to Houston on business or pleasure many times. Not comparison between the cities. Austin has great food, cool neighborhoods, lots of music and a great vibe. Easy city to get around as well. If you decide to take the drive (about 3+ hours), let me know and I'm happy to provide some specifics. San Antonio is pretty cool as well. Both are much better than staying there.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I agree with the poster above, go to Austin.

If you must stay in the Houston area, visit NASA's Johnson Space Center.

Reaction Score
Houston just takes time to figure out.

If you end up there, eat at Bernadine's. Best meal I've had in the last year.

Reaction Score

Get Vietnamese food.

Good to Goode's BBQ.

My daughter, UConn class of 2013, is having her wedding reception at Hugo's in 10 days. Great place. Works for Shell Oil. One month in Houston and she got to the Final Four. Not bad. She also flew to TX in 2011 for FF.

The Zoo is very good if you are into that and it is open 12 months a year. There is a Brennan's (of New Orleans fame) for expense account dining.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My daughter, UConn class of 2013, is having her wedding reception at Hugo's in 10 days. Great place. Works for Shell Oil. One month in Houston and she got to the Final Four. Not bad. She also flew to TX in 2011 for FF.

The Zoo is very good if you are into that and it is open 12 months a year. There is a Brennan's (of New Orleans fame) for expense account dining.
Congrats

Reaction Score
Visit Alphalete and my boy Christian Guzman in Sugarland.

You will get a great workout.

Cool cats down there.

Reaction Score
The OP has a two night layover in Houston, why on earth would he drive to Sugar Land to work out with your boy? This board is so weird.

It's the same reason why when the OP asks about things to do in Houston, people suggest Austin and San Antonio.

Much like when someone asks about a restaurant in downtown Hartford, people respond about restaurants in NYC, Tampa, Miami, etc.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
On the off chance that your tastes include art, the highlight of a lesser amount of free time on my only trip to Houston was the Menil Collection (Surrealism) and nearby Rothko Chapel that may or may not have its Barnett Newman "Broken Obelisk" sculpture yet returned after restoration .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom