OT: There is Justice in the NFL | The Boneyard

OT: There is Justice in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I propose we leave this one alone. Even for the BY, this will get ugly fast.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Gotta credit the legal system.
I swim in it every day. It's like a giant cesspool. And I get paid a ridiculous rate to swim in the sewage. I give it the following credit, and no more:
1. Its complexity, inscrutability, and generally overworked obsolescence make it obscenely easy for me to make money.
and
2. It's better than most systems the planet has had or currently has, which, really, should not be confused as a compliment.

Note to those working toward wisdom - don't ever confuse "worked out in my favor" with "worked."

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The lack of Pats fans in this thread has me hopeful for humanity.

It's like they turned an evolutionary corner and caught up with the rest of the country in realizing that it is only fair to be punished for your misdeeds.

Im proud of your new attitude Patriots nation: "We cheated, we got caught, now we must live with the results"

Kudos. Everyone can grow.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Trolling, trolling, trolling,
Keep them posts a' coming,
Trolling, trolling, trolling,
Loser!

Reaction Score
The court ruling has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not Brady and the Pats cheated. Essentially the second circuit found that Goodell's Brady suspension was within the power granted to him under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. Brady will serve the suspension and Goodell's dictatorship like control over the league is further strengthened.

Reaction Score
There was some talk it could be reduced but what incentive does the commish have to do this if further appeals are unlikely to work?

Reaction Score
What is the next step? From what I am hearing Brady/the players association have the option of appealing to the full appeals court (this case was heard by three judges and ruled 2-1 in favor of the NFL). One analyst I heard suggested that the NFL might be willing to negotiate a reduction in the suspension in return for dropping the appeal. His theory was Goodell got the victory he wanted to retain his total power and wouldn't want to risk losing in an appeal. Since the case has been heard by 4 judges, 2 have ruled to uphold the suspension and 2 against the suspension, it is unpredictable what the ruling would be in an appeal of the full Appeals Court.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
4 game suspension, bah! He should have to eat turkey and ketchup sandwiches for 4 weeks, that commie.

Reaction Score

It's like they turned an evolutionary corner and caught up with the rest of the country in realizing that it is only fair to be punished for your misdeeds.

Im proud of your new attitude Patriots nation: "We cheated, we got caught, now we must live with the results"

I don't even know you anymore.

Reaction Score
There was some talk it could be reduced but what incentive does the commish have to do this if further appeals are unlikely to work?
Because it would eliminate the need to defend those further appeals, and it would eliminate any chance of losing.

This happens all the time. Client wins jury verdict in the amount of 100 grand. They ask, "so I get a check?" Not so fast. The other side offers 75k now, or they will appeal. S.O.P.

In this case, Brady may be able to ask for an en banc review. If not, SCOTUS. Might be a case they'd take, if enforcing an incredibly bad, but agreed-upon, CBA contractual clause is somehow legally uncertain.

Seems to me the following things are true:

1. The NFL players are foolish for having agreed to the clause.
2. Reap what you sow.
3. Suspending somebody for being "generally aware" of infractions is a dangerous standard of review.

Reaction Score
Has anyone checked on @upstater ?

In before this clusterf*k

I've been reading it.

This is what happens when teams can't win on the football field.

It is nothing more than that, and in your heart you are a dishonest person if you disagree with that.

My take is that it is completely over right now. Can't be appealed. Or, somehow, I'd hope that the process to send it to the entire court could take maybe 10 months, that would be great. BUT I suspect the decision to review would come much quicker than that, so it's over.

That being said, people should at least realize that the chief of the court dissented vociferously and even called out the other two judges for not even having a basic awareness of the case.

The one judge in particular, Parker, was called out several times for saying on several different issues that the NFLPA did not raise issues which, embarrassingly, the Chief Katzmann then cites as part of the proceedings. In other words, the Chief notes several times that Parker didn't even read Berman's decision in the original appeal.

So, have at it. The balls were deflated exactly where they should have been.

And at the end of the day, this is all because of the repeated failure of some owners to hire adequate managers who can draft the players that can compete in the Patriots. Here in Buffalo, people are celebrating. But they forget that they have the same management team that used first rounders on Ej Manuel, JP Losman, Cj Spiller, Aaron Maybin, sent 2 high first rounders away for Sammy Watkins, etc. But, hey, if you're an inept football team, blame on the deflated footballs that deflated along with the laws of physics!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not one to like when threads go on and on and on and on and on...oh anyway since that's not like me I'm OUT.;) Plead the 5th and drink one too.

Reaction Score

This is very simple. If you think this was the Patriots cheating, then you think Jim Calhoun is a cheater. It had ZERO bearing on the game, just like a couple of transfers had ZERO impact on the academic progress of UConn basketball players in 2013. Not to mention all the cheating he did with Nate Miles. So get over yourself. Find another reason to hate the Patriots. Or declare yourself a UConn hater. One or the other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA