OT: The "-gates" are out-of date. | The Boneyard

OT: The "-gates" are out-of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It all started with Watergate, the site of a burglary (of a Democratic Party office in this pricey mixed use condo complex in Washington) that ultimately brought down a president (Nixon).

Since then media have tortured readers by adding "-gate" to the title of every scandal, major or minor.To cite only two recent examples: "Bridgegate" in New Jersey and "Deflategate in the NFL/New England Patriots.

Enough already!

This is even sillier than the widespread practice (by MLB pitchers and catchers alike) of covering their faces with their huge gloves as they confer on the mound -- thus depriving thousands of patrons (most of them several hundred feet away from the conferees) the opportunity to brush up on their lip-reading skills. Silly on steroids.

"Whispergate"?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Salesgate.
Frygate
Ridegate
Monegate, and my personal favorite
Postergate.

Reaction Score
It all started with Watergate, the site of a burglary (of a Democratic Party office in this pricey mixed use condo complex in Washington) that ultimately brought down a president (Nixon).

Since then media have tortured readers by adding "-gate" to the title of every scandal, major or minor.To cite only two recent examples: "Bridgegate" in New Jersey and "Deflategate in the NFL/New England Patriots.

Enough already!

This is even sillier than the widespread practice (by MLB pitchers and catchers alike) of covering their faces with their huge gloves as they confer on the mound -- thus depriving thousands of patrons (most of them several hundred feet away from the conferees) the opportunity to brush up on their lip-reading skills. Silly on steroids.

"Whispergate"?
When the Media gets a "cutzie" type of word play in the headlines --they get stuck in the wording. And it gets a bit Enoughgate for the public.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
And I thought I was the only one who finds this to be stupid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well let me up the ante. Earlier this week I saw an article that used both Deflategate and Ballghazzi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom