OT: The day the music died | The Boneyard

OT: The day the music died

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Went to a concert at the local theatre (Monday night concert series) called "Rave On". Featured the music of the various artists; the same performer played the music of Dion and Richie Valens, another did Buddy Holly and a third did the Big Bopper (he was closer in age to what the Big Bopper would be now than what he was then, but they were not pretending to be them, only to cover them). Really good show.

The fellow who did Richie Valens was the hit of the show, particularly with his rendition of La Bamba and also a mariachi "tribute" he played on his guitar. Got him a standing ovation.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing....pretty good footage, I think. I can use in my teaching.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Quite a week. 55 years since the crash, and Friday 50 years since the Beatles arrival. Lot of big things have happened in a short month, some good, some bad.

Reaction Score
I need to pick up my guitar and play a couple of Buddy's songs tonight...
Striper, not sure of what you like to play but if you like what Buddy did I would feel guilty not to recomend Danny Gatton's version of "It Doesn't Matter Any More". As nice a tribute as can be found, this is on his Crusin Deuces album. I will not supply the Utube link as it is a awfull video with bad sound.
It does the song nor the band any justice.
Just to add somthing slightly on topic (Huskies) I will give you Danny with his sax player Bill Holloman playing Funky Mama. The connection being Bill is a world renown keyboard and sax player who is from and last I knew still when not on the road calls CT home.

Reaction Score
Did not realize it was 55 years today, the music died.

I was also a paperboy in New Britain, delivering the Herald, when I read about the plane crash and Buddy Holly having been killed along with Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper. I felt (and feel) horrible about the deaths of the pilot and Ritchie and the Big Bopper but even more so for the loss of Buddy Holly. He was only 22 years old and had already written and produced so much memorable music. Despite his horribly shortened career he has still managed influencing some of the greats in music that have followed over the past 50 years. One can only imagine how much more he would have contributed both performing and also writing and producing music. To lose someone with that awesome talent was horrific. I do also recognize the fact that Ritchie Valens was only a young kid who had just emerged as a potentially great star whose awesome vocal talent was silenced almost before it even began. The Big Bopper's loss was tragic but as a performer, wasn't as deep a loss, in my estimation, because his contribution was just novelty records that were enjoyable but weren't the really special songs that the other two offered. I think Dion had had a chance to get on that flight but didn't! The following night was the start of Bobby Vee's career, filling in for Buddy Holly at the concert that the three performers were heading to, when killed. He was just a local boy with a local band but that catapulted him to stardom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom